Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
3 1/2 and in a cast up to knee---coping tips/ btdt??

My son broke his foot/toe and is in a cast from the end of his toes to his knees...for the rest of the summer.

I did get the waterproof casting material, so he can shower/bathe and swim, but he is MISERABLE and it hasn't even been 24 hours!

Help!

I did sew up two little "socks" for him with elastic at the top, so that he can play outside in the dirt & not get it all cruddy inside. He also asked to sleep in one last night so that it wouldn't itch his other leg.

Advertisement

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 1/2 and in a cast up to knee---coping tips/ btdt??

As a person who has dealt with casts many times I am not a fan of the "waterproof" casting material. Yes, the cast is not damaged by water but they can get really icky inside and cause skin issues. IMO keeping it dry is easier that maintaining the "waterproof" one to get it dry inside. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Do you have a stroller with a foot rest for him? Also the little battery operated fans to blow in the cast is nice especially because you got the waterproof material because it gets hot a sweaty in there.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son was 2.5 when he broke his leg and was in a cam walker for the month of August, and much of September. Thankfully we could take it off for baths, but honestly anything like that on your foot at that age is torturous. I sew up a few more socks, we went through them like crazy (had to cover his cam walker b/c he figured out how to kick things with it on and it was denting everything). I wish I had some good suggestions for you.
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
skcsarah
Registered Users

My daughter was 4 when she broke her arm. She was still sore for a few days and grouchy for about a week while she got used to it. Once it started to feel better she moved and played without any problem.

And I agree about the water proof cast... I can imagine it would get gross anyways. But... It will make it easier on you to not worry about it so much. My daughters wasn't water proof and it was so hard to give her a bath and one time she "accidentally" fell into the kiddie pool and got it wet. I was really upset the doctor didn't try to do a better job with it.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't have any experience with kids and casts (knock on wood!) but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that your poor little guy has to go through that - I imagine it would be pretty tough!
And new foster parents to BABY BOY born 12/2015

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies!

I am going to make more socks for him....I am going to get more fabric today & hopefully sew a couple each day until we have a decent little stash.

I'm going to make at least one with PUL so that he can get baths at night (it takes 3 1/2 hours to dry out!) without going to bed with a soaking leg.

I can't get him to keep the little walking boot on....I'm not sure how to make him keep it on & even with the sock he slips like crazy without it.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
As a person who has dealt with casts many times I am not a fan of the "waterproof" casting material. Yes, the cast is not damaged by water but they can get really icky inside and cause skin issues. IMO keeping it dry is easier that maintaining the "waterproof" one to get it dry inside. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Do you have a stroller with a foot rest for him? Also the little battery operated fans to blow in the cast is nice especially because you got the waterproof material because it gets hot a sweaty in there.
Good to know! Fortunately he's our only non-sensitive skin family member, so hopefully he'll fair well with it.

I'm trying to make sure we let it dry really well....

Any idea if its okay to use baby powder in there? DH was concerned it would get wet and cakey and just be a crumbly mess but several people have suggested it.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
beyoung
Registered Users
seller

My son was in a similar cast for 6 weeks last summer when he was 5. I was actually surprised at how little it slowed him down - you might find that your son soon forgets it's there in a few days. I love your sock! We just pulled some of my husbands giant socks over my son's cast when he went outside but yours is much cuter. Because it was summer when my son had his cast, it would get awfully sweaty and itchy sometimes. You can buy cast coolers but we didn't want to spend the money so my husband would use packing tape to stick the nozzle of his shop-vac to the toe end of my sons cast, turn it on and let it suck air through the cast to help dry it out. My son said it made things feel better. Also, be prepared when they take the cast off. My sons stank like you wouldn't believe (I thought the poor guy doing the removal was going to pass out) and he had lots of peeling gross skin on his foot. We were extremely careful to keep the cast dry so it was all due to the fact that it was summer in Missouri and his foot sweated like crazy.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
ralenth
Registered Users

Poor kid!! We thought my oldest broke his arm, he spent 3 weeks in a (not removable) splint, and for a very sensory sensitive kid it was awful. It itched like crazy, and it was just dang uncomfortable for him. The ortho said to give him Benadryl, but when talking to the pharmacist (because of other meds he's on, and my concern on them interacting), we did Zyrtec instead and that helped a lot with the itching. It made life more bearable for him. He's got sensory issues, so I made sure the techs knew each time they splinted him (and they made sure to pad it well for him, and that helped, too). Good luck!!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyoung View Post
My son was in a similar cast for 6 weeks last summer when he was 5. I was actually surprised at how little it slowed him down - you might find that your son soon forgets it's there in a few days. I love your sock! We just pulled some of my husbands giant socks over my son's cast when he went outside but yours is much cuter. Because it was summer when my son had his cast, it would get awfully sweaty and itchy sometimes. You can buy cast coolers but we didn't want to spend the money so my husband would use packing tape to stick the nozzle of his shop-vac to the toe end of my sons cast, turn it on and let it suck air through the cast to help dry it out. My son said it made things feel better. Also, be prepared when they take the cast off. My sons stank like you wouldn't believe (I thought the poor guy doing the removal was going to pass out) and he had lots of peeling gross skin on his foot. We were extremely careful to keep the cast dry so it was all due to the fact that it was summer in Missouri and his foot sweated like crazy.
Ya, I'm hearing that the skin will be pretty rotton after wards. Good idea with the shop vac--might try that!

Thanks! My husband said to just use his socks & I told him no way was I doing that! I like him to match from head to toe (his shoes match his clothes) and that just wouldn't work for me!

So, he's getting matchy socks to coordinate with all of his outfits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralenth View Post
Poor kid!! We thought my oldest broke his arm, he spent 3 weeks in a (not removable) splint, and for a very sensory sensitive kid it was awful. It itched like crazy, and it was just dang uncomfortable for him. The ortho said to give him Benadryl, but when talking to the pharmacist (because of other meds he's on, and my concern on them interacting), we did Zyrtec instead and that helped a lot with the itching. It made life more bearable for him. He's got sensory issues, so I made sure the techs knew each time they splinted him (and they made sure to pad it well for him, and that helped, too). Good luck!!
Thanks! My son has some mild sensory stuff too. He swears the boot itches him--how it can actually make a difference with a cast on is beyond me. :/

We've had to tape the boot on twice, since Thursday.