Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #171
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl

I am not sure I took it personally (as in thought about it after I typed it out) but with all of the medical community bashing I read on DS, as an RN it is hard not to take some of these things personally. I believe I must live in a crunchier area of the US as I do not see most of what is claimed in these bashing MD/RN threads. In fact, I would say that the circ rate at our hospital is only about 30%- if that even.
I like to think of myself as a patient advocate and I am very big into patient safety. Therefore I like to give accurate, research based patient education so that they may make the best decisions for themselves. I do not push my views on others but if asked will absolutely share my story/opinions/beliefs. I truly believe that most of my co-workers do the same. I have a hard time believing that we are the only hospital in the entire US that works like this. (If we are, that is a sad state of affairs).
I live in a very high circ rate area. My friend just had her little boy in May. The nurses asked if she wanted him circ and she said no. They then said "oh thank God! We didnt want to say anything but we hate to see parents agree to circ.

They didnt want to say anything but didnt say anything till after they heard her views.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #172
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you ever feel judged regarding not circumcising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl View Post
I am not sure I took it personally (as in thought about it after I typed it out) but with all of the medical community bashing I read on DS, as an RN it is hard not to take some of these things personally. I believe I must live in a crunchier area of the US as I do not see most of what is claimed in these bashing MD/RN threads. In fact, I would say that the circ rate at our hospital is only about 30%- if that even.
I like to think of myself as a patient advocate and I am very big into patient safety. Therefore I like to give accurate, research based patient education so that they may make the best decisions for themselves. I do not push my views on others but if asked will absolutely share my story/opinions/beliefs. I truly believe that most of my co-workers do the same. I have a hard time believing that we are the only hospital in the entire US that works like this. (If we are, that is a sad state of affairs).
I haven't been to Washingon but I've always been under the impression that its a crunchier area...I recently moved away from northern California and they had pretty good medical care there. I didn't give birth in the hospital but my nurse for my NST's was really great and supportive of my choice to home birth. Sadly, I really think that what you see from about San Francisco up on the west coast is not the norm in our country.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #173
crunch!910
Registered Users

I live in Ohio- Our circ rates here are above 80% the last I researched it. All the people I know, especially nurses, offer harsh judgement to my anti-circ related facebook posts.

Last edited by crunch!910; 10-14-2012 at 08:51 AM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #174
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Such an interesting (amd disheartening) realization.
We had a family come in about a year ago from another country that did not regularly circ but they wanted it for their son. We educated, got a translator and tried to convince them NOT to circ (the doctor was the one that was heading up this "intervention" for the child). We wanted to make sure they understood that it is FOREVER, unneccesary and cannot be undone. The doctor did NOT want to circumsize that baby but ultimately the family insisted. What a bunch of sad nurses and docs that day.
I cannot imagine what it must be like in other parts of the country- perhaps that is why there is so much medical community bashing that occurs on here.
Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #175
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Such an interesting (amd disheartening) realization.
We had a family come in about a year ago from another country that did not regularly circ but they wanted it for their son. We educated, got a translator and tried to convince them NOT to circ (the doctor was the one that was heading up this "intervention" for the child). We wanted to make sure they understood that it is FOREVER, unneccesary and cannot be undone. The doctor did NOT want to circumsize that baby but ultimately the family insisted. What a bunch of sad nurses and docs that day.
I cannot imagine what it must be like in other parts of the country- perhaps that is why there is so much medical community bashing that occurs on here.
Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #176
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze

ETA: not to hijack, but how do you handle situations where you know someone intends to circ, but haven't asked for your opinion? My brother and SIL are expecting their first son in a few weeks, and i'm pretty sure they're planning to circ. my wife asked me the other day if i was going to say anything to my brother, and I'm not sure about it. How do you handle that type of situation?
When my bro and sis in law were expecting a boy I had a feeling they were just going to circ. He is a dr. and she is a nurse. But, I felt like I had to let them know that they don't have to circ so casually one day when we were talking about the baby I said "well now that you are having a boy you get to figure out if you are going to circ or not." She let it go and that was all I said. I could tell she wasn't into hearing more about it.

When I was pregnant with DS my bro in law and sis in law (dh's bro) had a 5 year old intact son. She never asked or mentioned the choice between circ/non circ at all. I wish she had. Thankfully I found out there was a choice from being on here. I guess she has the attitude that a lot of people I noticed on this thread about "not my business". There are people who do appreciate learning and hearing about different ways.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #177
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl
I have 4 boys and none of them are circ'd. My oldest is almost 17 so that choice was made before it was more popular/accepted to not circ your child. I have never felt judged but then again, I don't tend to talk about my childrens' genitalia as everyday conversation.

Crunch910- you said something about nurses not protecting baby's genitalia and I have teo disagree with you. Most of the time when parents come in to the hospital to have their baby, the choice has already been made about what they are going to do. If it is not, I give information and educate but it is NOT the nurse's place to make that decision for the patient. It is our job to educate. If asked, I tell people whether or not we circ'd our boys and my reasonings. i have never participated in a circumsicion and would quit my job before that happened. So, please be thoughtful when you are throwing around your judgments about the medical community- we are not all created equal. Thanks.
None of the 4 times I was pregnant did any of the dr.'s or nurses EVER let me know that you didn't have to circ or give us the option. In fact at the birth classes we had to take with dd1 they never mentioned anything about non circ'ing or even what circ'ing is. In fact they sent around the consent forms and had all of us sign them even if we knew we were having a girl "just in case" it was a boy. Then it could be just taken care of and they wouldn't have to worry about the paperwork.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #178
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Thankfully I found out there was a choice from being on here. I guess she has the attitude that a lot of people I noticed on this thread about "not my business". There are people who do appreciate learning and hearing about different ways.
When I was pg with DS1 I would have circ'd just because I thought that's what we were "supposed" to do. It was another parenting board where I first heard there was some controversy surrounding circumcision. Since I love a good debate, I spent the next few months researching all I could and ultimately decided not to do circ.

But looking back, it's frightening to me that I would have made the decision TO CIRC knowing as little as I did. Even DH (who initially insisted on circ'ing, but changed his mind) admits he didn't know what circumcision was exactly, other than that "something" was cut off. Yet, it was so "normal" for us, we would have consented to the procedure without thinking about it. I thank my lucky stars for online parenting debates that opened my eyes.

The few people I've talked to IRL about circ are genuinely curious about it. They did the same thing I almost did and circ'd because they thought that's what everyone was supposed to do.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #179
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have only read three pages but I have 2 cents to add.

My oldest DS is circumsized and my other two boys are not. My DH is also cut.

That being said, my oldest DS (14yo) was just in the hospital this week for a non-penis related matter and the intake nurse was asking all the usual questions and came to "Do you have a history of circumcision." He said, "No." He knew what she meant and he had no idea that he was. LOL He's seen the other two boys (obviously) and still didn't really think twice about the differences. Weird.

My first intact son is 8yo and aware that his penis doesn't look like dad's but nobody cares.

I have honestly NEVER had a conversation about circumcision with parents questioning my choice.

I saw someone ask about knowing someone that intends to circ - I've had one very discreet conversation with a friend who was expecting. I asked if she was interested in information. When she said she was open I sent her links to read with her and her husband. I left it at that. She later thanked me deeply for the information and they have decided to not circ any of their future children. My heart rejoiced!
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #180
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've also brought it up to my SIL who is very close to us and asks our opinion on things ALL THE TIME. They declined the information and I respected their desire for ignorance. That is the nature of parenting my own children and not EVERYONE's child.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom

Last edited by 4dramamama; 10-14-2012 at 11:03 AM.
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote