Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I want to quit school

I am currently in a Master's program to become a principal. I am in my 4th class. I have 5 more classes, and then a 16 week internship. I will graduate Dec 2013. However, I feel like I want to quit. It is just SO much work. I teach full time, run an ebay store (well dh and I together do), and have 5 kids. There's just not enough time it seems. Weeknights dh goes to school after I get home from work, so I have all 5 kids. The baby will not let me set her down or she just screams and screams. She only wants to nurse and be held. My 2 year old is a major handful. The evenings are filled with nursing, holding a baby, making dinner, packing lunches (which is an ordeal when you pack 4 lunches lol), cleaning, laundry, and trying to get whatever ebaying and schooling done I can. Not to mention whatever prep I need to do for work.

So, during the week I just barely get anything done. I usually average 5 hours sleep. I'm just exhausted.

My school program is one class at a time, and each are 8 weeks long. There are NO breaks, at all, the entire program. That being said...I have a 4.0 GPA and I get 100% on almost every assignment. So, it "appears" that I am doing just fine, but I feel like my head is going to explode most days. I keep telling myself "just one more class".

No point to this really. I probably won't quit. I'm just not a quitter. But, I WANT to quit!

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

((hugs))

There! You got it out! Now go sleep, snuggle your babies, and kick your homework's ***!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to quit school

More hugs.
You are going to be an awesome principal!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

is it possible to cut back a bit with some of your other life stuff? Take a hiatus from eBay? Hire a sitter to take the girls for a few hours twice a week?

I believe that you can definitely do this but its not really healthy physically or emotionally to run yourself ragged for long periods of time.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Angel89411
Banned

Could you make all lunches for the week on the weekend? What about a carrier for the baby so you can have your hands free? I agree with perhaps putting eBay on hold. Can you get your older kids to help with things? Folding laundry, making lunch, loading/unloading dishwasher, etc?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
I hear you! I'm taking a full course load on campus, plus take care of 4 kids & my dh is gone over 70 hours a week with his commute. He postponed grad school this semester because there is no way humanly possible for us to do it all. I keep saying to myself drop a class, drop a class but I can't bring myself to do it. My dh says it's not being a quiter but realizing your limits.
Adding to my issue is I have a herniated disc with 2 pinched nerves that really needs surgery but I'm waiting for the semester to end.
Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by Rockinmama24; 10-06-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

I feel the exact same way. I'm struggling with my three classes that I take on campus. I dropped the fourth class that was online because I knew within week one I wasn't going to be able to handle it on top of working full time. It's even harder now that I've moved out because my mom isn't here to help get them to bed. Mwf I have morning classes so I close the store at ten. Then tues and thuRSdays I'm up at six am to take kids to school and open the store. My new house isn't even unpacked. I've yet to go real grocery shopping at all. I have a pack of nuggets in the freezer and mac and cheese and some canned veggies.

I know you can do this but I really would cut back on something else til you are finished. THats amazing you have a 4.0. I'M only passing two classes. The third I'm failing but I've only taken one of three exams. I need to find time to go get tutoring but there's not enough hours in a day.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
could you extend your graduation date?
If not, just take it one class at a time. DH just finished a crazy class schedule. Classes non stop for 2 years. He was a full time student on top of being in the military. It was awful! But...we made it through and you will too. Think about how happy you'll be once your done.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

We just made it over the hump of getting Master's degrees (an MSW for me and an MBA for DH). One or both of us was in school full time for the last 6 years! It feels amazing to be done with school!

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! I just wanted to give you a big hug
Old 10-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Thx for all the support! As far as eBay...I'm the only one working so this supplements our income. Dh does all the answering of questions and shipping and I do the shopping and listing. October to January are our most expensive months of the year bc we have 10 birthdays in those months and then of course Christmas. So it would not be a wise financial decision to stop eBay right now. Plus I love eBay! It's a hobby as much as it is a money maker. I would be sad to give it up!

The older girls do help some but I need to get on them with helping more. Everything is a fight with my moody preteens and my 7 y/o barely helps at all. Sometime they make lunches but they pack total junk lol. I guess I need to teach them more about lunches so they can help with that. I also need to meal plan so I can ask dh to take whatever put for dinner and maybe even start it. We moved sept 1st too in order to be close to work and that's been very nice but of course moving brings chaos for a bit. Everything I'd settling down with that. I had all summer off then started work and moved at the same time so I think it was just a shock to my system. We had a conversation with the girls about helping out. At school the kids and teachers do all the cleaning-no janitor- so every Thursday the whole school cleans. Amazingly the girls are able to clean bathrooms and mop at school but not at home. Love how that works! So last week dh we all cleaned at home on Saturday and have everyone jobs just like st school and the girls cleaned their bathroom etc. my oldest has been doing her laundry when I get behind and she wants something clean lol. So maybe they are getting it! My two year old is just a terror, screamer, mess maker. She's constantly getting into something. She loves to write on things, and even when we think we hide stuff - she finds it! She's honestly more work than anyone but I know it's just a stage. I'm thinking some sort of chore chart. My oldest yesterday cried (yes cried), because dh asked her to take the recycling out to the garage. Like really???? She acts like we are so unfair and all are against her and everyone hates her-because we ask her to take out recycling (where's that head scratch thing). Drama! Anyway I'm sure we will get through this. I want my girls to be able to have a secure future, so therefore I need my masters-bc unfortunately teachers salaries aren't much but by income potential will double to triple when I'm done.