Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
oXChrissyXo
Registered Users

New here with questions!!

Hello! I'm Chrissy

I'm SAHM to a 8 month old boy, Dallas.
I am new to this board and so glad that I joined because it already has convinced me that switching to cloth diapers are right for my family. My aunt has tried to get me to cloth diaper since before my son was even born because she knew our financial situation was not were me and my SO would like it to be. I have a few questions though..what are good cloth diapers to start out with for someone like myself who has never done cloth before? and are there any relatively cheap places or ones that I can buy?

Thanks girls

Advertisement

oXChrissyXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: New here with questions!!

I use pockets because most similar & easy for me.olus I have brachial plexus & I thought less hassle for my arm & hand.... you maybe able to find some ffs where u just pay shbip cost on here... I will have gotten 4 wetbags that way. U might be able to look on craigslist there too. I will have 5 or 6 I will be selling because I like older & bigger ones. Onesize few green,orange,red....
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Welcome to DS! There is so much information here I know it can be overwhelming to a newbie. Here are a few Of my favorite resources!

Paddedtushstats.com has statistical info based on user reviews and baby type (chunky, skinny, heavy wetter etc)

Soft bums has a cloth diaper 101 book at the top of their website, to help you decide what type will best fit your family. (Pockets prefolds, flats etc.)

You may find this thread very informative. There is a way to cloth diaper that meets every budget, so it may be helpful to set a budget first and go from there. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1346972

Finally, if you know how to sew, you can make them super cheep!! It is much easier than it sounds, and you can usually pick up most of the fabric locally.

I hope you find some of this useful.
Happy diapering!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 11-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are lots of good sites to buy from if you don't have some place locally.

Diapersafari.com <-free shipping
DiaperJunction.com
Nickisdiapers.com

The sites generally all charge the same. You can of course also buy used from here in the For Sale section.

If you are doing it for financial reasons the best way to go is prefolds (or flats) and covers. Though they are a bit intimidating people often love them. You can attach a prefold with a snappi or bongos (or pin) OR you can just fold them into thirds (tri-fold) and lay in a cover. Here are lots of pictures of babies with prefold attached and tri-folded in cover http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm.

You can purchase prefold at GMD above or any of the diaper site I mentioned before. i personally like the diaper rite ones at diaperjunciton.com.

These are usually considered the best financially because a prefold costs around $2-$3 and you just need a diaper cover for about every 3 or 4 prefolds, you can reuse the covers several times in one day. Some people alternate between covers to give them time to "air out" and other people wipe them down -- or just reuse and go! Depends on preference.

http://www.diaperjunction.com/discou...d-diapers.html <- you can get 2 dozen prefolds and 4 covers for $99! (free shipping) that should last you 2 days though I would recommend about 2 more covers.

As you get into it you may want to try something else for nighttime or out of the house, or what have you, but its a good (inexpensive) place to start.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-29-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also should mention that you can get some pretty cheap "from China" pocket diapers off ebay. Some people like them some people would say "you get what you pay for" but it's another inexpensive option (This one I wouldn't spend too much money on unless you determine they work for you)....
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you checked to see if there is a diaper shop in your area? Or if there is a diaper parties.com consultant near you? One of my biggest recommendations is to actually see and touch the different types of diapers before you buy them. It really helps to see them in person. I have a cousin who CDs and she let me go through her stash and explained the different types, fabrics, options, etc. and it was sooooo helpful in deciding which system would work well for me and our family. That said, I second pp that prefolds and covers are the most economical, econobum makes packs you an buy too. AIOs are going to be most like the disposables if you are looking for that option. Many companies will regularly put aios on buy x get x free sales so you might keep an eye out for that! Good luck, stick with it until you find what you like, I promise you will love it!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
MomBecks
Registered Users

You might check your local Craigslist to find used diapers in you area so you don't have to pay shipping. There are also lots of ways to "find" diapers - floursack cloths at Target or Walmart or t-shirt diapers which sounds hilarious but works! And you can upcycle old wool sweaters into covers very easily without a sewing machine. Most mamas need at least 2 dozen diapers to last 2 days and have enough for to use while washing. And I would highly recommend using cloth wipes because 1) they're easy to use because they just get thrown in the pail and washed with diapers and 2) they'll save you hundreds of $$ over 2 years.
Ask lots of questions and good luck!!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Just want to drop the name of the cheap China diapers that I like; Sunbaby.
I also have a soft spot in my heart for flats or prefolds and covers. I like a lot of the info at greenmountaindiapers.com but they're prefolds are for sure not the most inexpensive you could find. I also find the oppions expressed about detergent and bleach a little extreme.... I wash with mainstream detergent and I use bleach and my diapers haven't turned to dust.
http://sunbabydiapers.com/
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Prefolds and covers are so easy! We use Green Mountain Diaper prefolds and Flip covers - we are in it to save money, too. You can find GMDs on FSOT but honestly the shipping is so expensive it drives up the prices a lot. If you get on GMD's seconds mailing list, you can get all of their prefolds for DIRT cheap and they have flat rate $6.95 shipping. I have ordered seconds a few times so far and can't tell the difference in any of them.

Also check out Facebook for CD groups. I have found most things on there (at least in the groups I belong to) for less than on FSOT. Ex: EUC Flip covers for $8ppd whereas on FSOT it would be $11+. If you live in a "crunchy" area you may have luck on Craigslist... Nothing here, though.

Welcome to CDing! Prepare to become addicted... Very addicted. Haha
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote