Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Thriftiest bedwetting solution

DS is six and has never stayed dry overnight. I always used to stock up on the Pull-ups when the Walgreens deals come up, but this still cost at least $5.50 a pack (if I can find coupons) and then trying to find something to use the register reward on, that is not overpriced can be tricky.

I could order with subscribe and save on Amazon and save some money, but I don't think it's any cheaper then Walgreens.

I invested in some large Happy Heinys trainers with Super Do inserts, which was pricey. I have two, but he still leaks through them and hates wearing them.

I'm going to try a sticker chart with whatever prize he chooses. He did great for a week, then realized I was choosing a prize I had on hand and then all of a sudden was waking up soaked again. Coincidence?

Sometimes he can stay dry for up to a week and other times, he's soaked for days on end. I may start documenting what he's eating too, because for awhile we suspected dairy was making it worse. He started wetting during the day when he started school and was eating dairy more heavily.

The cheapest solution I can come up with, is laying a towel down on his bed (he also has a soaker pad under his sheets) and having him wear the Happy Heinys. That would save me on laundry, since I would only have to wash the towel and the trainer with our other diapers, as opposed to washing his entire bedding set everyday. I could get some pull ups from Walgreens as back up for when the trainers are not clean, since I only have two. I wash every other day, but sometimes they are still in the dryer.

Anyone else deal with this? What is your thriftiest solution? I'm about ready to ask the Dr what kind of suggestions he has like the bedwetting alarm.

On the other hand, maybe I should be keeping a stock of pull-ups in the house for our foster kiddos anyway. I've heard they often bedwet just because of the crazy transition for them.

Sorry that was a book...

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thriftiest bedwetting solution

I have night time cloth trainers from Hope @ Ladder Hill Design (Hyena Cart). They aren't cheap but they do work very well for us. Contact her and she can certainly custom make something for you. Maybe a triple insert vs the double that she normally uses. I recommend the ones with snaps vs the pull up style. Much easier to stuff the inserts in.

Example:
http://hyenacart.com/gallery_hcm_ope...d=604&vid=2342

ETA: I see that she is currently on vacation and reopens in June. Of all the trainers I have tried, I find her's to be the best, both in looks and function.
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
COgle3
Registered Users
seller

Do you ever go in and get him and put him on the potty? My son started potty training at 20 months and didn't get the hang of holding it at night. We pick him up out of bed and sit him on the potty a couple times a night(he's so young to hold it for 9 hours- even I usually get up to pee). You may just want to try takin him to the potty every two hours for a week or so. Eventually he should be getting up on his own to use the potty, but if he isn't used to getting up, he wouldn't just randomly think to do it. I think expecting him to hold it all night isnt practical. We had the same issue, but my love for a diaper free toddler was all I needed to do the ol potty run 5 times a night. You can also take turns with your hubs. Good luck! Potty training is so tricky! Funny how no one really talks about it!

Sew Love For Love
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewloveforlove
COgle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleen View Post
I have night time cloth trainers from Hope @ Ladder Hill Design (Hyena Cart). They aren't cheap but they do work very well for us. Contact her and she can certainly custom make something for you. Maybe a triple insert vs the double that she normally uses. I recommend the ones with snaps vs the pull up style. Much easier to stuff the inserts in.

Example:
http://hyenacart.com/gallery_hcm_ope...d=604&vid=2342

ETA: I see that she is currently on vacation and reopens in June. Of all the trainers I have tried, I find her's to be the best, both in looks and function.
I couldn't find a price...can you give me an idea? What do you stuff them with? I think it has more to do with the amount of pee and what I am stuffing with. I'm going to try wrapping a flat around the Super Do insert and see if that helps.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgle3 View Post
Do you ever go in and get him and put him on the potty? My son started potty training at 20 months and didn't get the hang of holding it at night. We pick him up out of bed and sit him on the potty a couple times a night(he's so young to hold it for 9 hours- even I usually get up to pee). You may just want to try takin him to the potty every two hours for a week or so. Eventually he should be getting up on his own to use the potty, but if he isn't used to getting up, he wouldn't just randomly think to do it. I think expecting him to hold it all night isnt practical. We had the same issue, but my love for a diaper free toddler was all I needed to do the ol potty run 5 times a night. You can also take turns with your hubs. Good luck! Potty training is so tricky! Funny how no one really talks about it!
We have in the past, but never more then once a night.

I suppose I could try that over the summer. I was worried about him not getting a good nights sleep for school. I may be up pretty often at night soon anyway. With a foster kiddo, they may not be sleeping well, not to mention I would kinda like to be upstairs monitoring that everyone is in their own beds and such a few times a night.

By the end of the summer, I'll be up with a newborn for sure, so I might as well give it a try.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How about wool pants and a wool pad on the bed? You can make your own with thrift store wool for next to nothing. He'll feel wet but you won't need to change the whole bed every night.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd turned 7 last month and still wets. We found waking her up in the middle of the night (around midnight) allows her to stay dry most nights and we re-use pull-ups that are dry in the morning. I just have her put the pull up on over her underwear so her private isn't touching the pull-up to keep it clean.

OR you can buy a large size diaper and they can still pull them up and down. We ran out once and I put my petite dd in her lil bro's size 4 Huggies Supreme (he wets the bed too but just turned 3) and she was able to still pull them up and down b/c they are stretchy and they are cheaper per diaper than a pull-up.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
I couldn't find a price...can you give me an idea? What do you stuff them with? I think it has more to do with the amount of pee and what I am stuffing with. I'm going to try wrapping a flat around the Super Do insert and see if that helps.
If I recall correctly if was $17.95 for the shell and then an additional $3-$5 for the soaker/booster inserts that she makes that fit perfectly. You could use other items, but the front is narrow where it's stuffed. It's a pocket trainer, but they worked so well for us. I think she uses hemp layers in the inserts and bamboo velour on the inner layer of the shell so child feels the wetness.

I agree with the next post that asks if you wake him at night to potty. That certainly is an option. Also limiting liquids (including dairy) after 7pm at night. good luck!
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
I was searching the store because I am having the same trouble with my DD and I found this page with her prices:
http://hyenacart.com/ladderhilldesig...x.php?info=684
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 7 and still has trouble. We just put him to bed in underwear. We put plastic (usually a shower curtain) on his mattress, then sheets (sometimes I double up on layers so I don't have to make his bed as often) then a reusable waterproof pad on top. When he has accidents, he drops his pad and his clothes in the laundry and washes himself up in the tub. Sometimes he lets us know that he stayed dry, and sometimes we notice (because he comes downstairs in his pj's) and compliment him. When he sleepwalks at night (and I notice ) I'll have him go potty, but I don't get enough sleep as it is, so I don't wake him up to go. I figure when he's ready to stay dry all the time, he'll do it. He doesn't mind cleaning up his mess, and I don't have to buy anything special for him.