Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Share your dairy free and/or gluten free meal plans please

I need meal ideas for dairy free meals. YDS is allergic, and I try to prep his food separate if dairy is involved. But 1)that's more work for me and 2) I don't want him growing up not enjoying the same things as us.

We don't NEED to be gluten free, and I don't plan on completely converting us. But I am wanting to reduce the amount we eat. We eat mostly whole grains, but I'm a complete carboholic, so it's really hard for me to think of a meal without pasta or bread as "complete." Lol. And I don't want pricey substitions. Besides the fact that I don't want to pay $8 for gluten free bread, the point is that I need to change the way I view meals and food. (Not a huge rice/quinoa fan either... I can only handle it about 1-2 times a month, they are both just sooo unappetizing to me. Even Quinoa Burgers were blech to me, so it would seriously need to be an amazing recipe for me to probably like it.)

What's on your menu this week?

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

I just posted one of our favorite meals in the thriftyish meal threat. It's Beef Taco Skillet. You can use corn tortillas and it would be gluten free. I'll post more tomorrow when I can think a little clearer-super tired, up fighting a two year old that doesn't want to stay in bed.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Share your dairy free and/or gluten free meal plans please

Buttermilk baked chicken, roasted cauliflower and roasted carrots. Buttermilk made with soymilk and vinegar (we use soy milk as our sub, you could make it with rice milk- don't think it would work well with almond or coconut, but my dd is allergic to coconut and peanuts so we don't use almond or coconut. I think they might be too sweet to make buttermilk though).

grilled chicken sandwiches, carrot sticks and homemade baked fries

pork chops, roasted carrots and roasted potatoes

sweet n sour veggies (our vegetarian night), freezer rice pilaf (I make like 8 meals worth when I make it and it goes into the freezer)

Lasagna w/spinach mixed in the sauce- for dd's I just cook her noodles and cover in sauce. She has it like spaghetti. She has lasagna noodles and sauce like everyone else just no cheese.

egg noodle stir fry- stir fry meat cooked in generous olive oil, add in mushroom and steamed fresh green beans (it takes the green beans to long to cook in the pan) that are still crisp. Heat through. Add cherry tomatoes and cook until heated though. garlic salt and generous pepper. Toss with egg noodles. The oil, salt and pepper are the seasoning. I love tomatoes so this is one of my favorite easy meals. DH does not like tomatoes so a lot of times I plate dd's then add sour cream to make it stroganaff.

Baked Chicken, potato wedges, green beans.

sweet n sour pork, rice pilaf, broc

Irish hand pies w/marinara sauce, green beans http://www.marthastewart.com/317055/...beef-hand-pies

Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, carrots.

open faced sandwiches with leftover Salisbury steak

Roast chicken, roasted veggies and potatoes

chicken and dumplings (I use oil and flour for the soup rather than cream) and I use sub milk to make dumplings.

Chicken pot pie- left over chicken and dumplings minus the dumplings thrown into a pie crust http://www.anyrecipe.net/dessert/rec...hortening.html I use half wheat and half white, you could probably use a gluten free flour just as easily.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We really limit our "cheese" meals (pizza and lasagna) and I use Daiya cheese for these...Its good enough that everyone likes the taste, and I don't have to make anything seperate. It's pretty pricy, so that's why I only use it once a week. We do tacos (corn tortillas) with a "cheese" sauce made fromnutritional yeast for this.

We do perlow (sort of like jambalaya) and potato salad, meatloaf (EXCELLENT made with almond flour instead of bread crumbs!!) with roasted potatoes; curry with tons of veg and different meats;baked fish, Roasted California veg, and slaw; and Korean grill (whatever meats I have cheap) wrapped in lettuce leaves with kimchi and miso soup....Maybe some of those will work for you!

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
smores
Registered Users

Omg! Someone who knows what perlow is! (LOL Had to check your location.. I'm originally from the SC lowcountry )

Anyway, our favorite dairyfree/gluten free meals are anything indian. Makhani, curry, biryani, etc

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
Omg! Someone who knows what perlow is! (LOL Had to check your location.. I'm originally from the SC lowcountry )

LOL!!! We LOVE perlow!!! I make it with kielbasa sausage and shrimp We eat it at LEAST once a week

Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyMama View Post
We really limit our "cheese" meals (pizza and lasagna) and I use Daiya cheese for these...Its good enough that everyone likes the taste, and I don't have to make anything seperate. It's pretty pricy, so that's why I only use it once a week. We do tacos (corn tortillas) with a "cheese" sauce made fromnutritional yeast for this.

We do perlow (sort of like jambalaya) and potato salad, meatloaf (EXCELLENT made with almond flour instead of bread crumbs!!) with roasted potatoes; curry with tons of veg and different meats;baked fish, Roasted California veg, and slaw; and Korean grill (whatever meats I have cheap) wrapped in lettuce leaves with kimchi and miso soup....Maybe some of those will work for you!
How do you make the cheese sauce from nutritional yeast? We are HUGE dairy eaters. We go through 20-30 pounds of cheese a month, 2-4 containers of yogurt, 2 16 oz containers of sour cream, a pound of butter... Not using dairy is hard for me (and most non-dairy items-besides milks-are soy based, which I try to avoid when possible). I started subbing rice milk when cooking, but cheese is a major component of most of the meals we eat. Not a big deal when its shredded and sprinkled on, like tacos. But like quesadillas... We're having those for lunch, the baby won't get any, just the tortilla and some fruit.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use this recipe, but I use arrowroot or tapioca starch, cause I always have those two on hand:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=296050

You can also use it for mac and cheese, too....There's also one made with cashews thats really good, too

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
smores
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyMama View Post
LOL!!! We LOVE perlow!!! I make it with kielbasa sausage and shrimp We eat it at LEAST once a week
My best friend in college made the best perlow ever - she used chicken and cayenne in it, it was so good! There are 15 spellings of the word perlow - everything from pileau to perlow.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote