Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Reformation day activities??

We are JUST starting the process of converting to Lutheran (started today) and DH and I both don't like Halloween. So I thought I would make a big deal out of Reformation day (rather then remembering my lost grandfather who died on that day 4 years ago... but I digress). My son is 4 years old and we read the bible every night as a family before DS and I go to bed.

What are some traditions you do in your house?

I know this may be a long shot but I thought it would be worth a try. Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reformation day activities??

We're Lutheran. Our church makes a big deal out of Halloween. Trunk or Treat, big costume party, and lots of stuff for kiddos. The middle school youth group sponsors it every year as a service project.

Our church doesn't really do anything for Reformation Sunday beyond talking about it in the service though.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reformation day activities??

Mostly we talk about what Reformation Sunday is, read a little about it, and combine it a little with All Saints' history as well. We tend to focus on some of the specific things Luther gave the faith, ie saved by grace and not by works. We also do German food.

We still do Halloween, but we make it fun and not so scary. We also talk about its history, where it came from, and how we have changed it to fit with our beliefs.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like the idea of German food on that day! I thought when ds is older I can have him post 5 grievances on the door to his room on that day. I have seen how some families dress up in period like costumes on that day. Other people watch Luther. We were not at this church this time of year last year so I don't know their traditions.