Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Serging wipes

My son's 2nd grade class is involved in a competition with other classes where they are weighing lunch trash to see what kind of an impact it is opposed to a reusable lunch. My kid is in the 'green' class so they are to pack as reusable as possible. (yay!) My niece is in the 'trash' class and she is supposed to pack all disposable. Anyway, my son's lunch is almost all reusable (except for the wrapper of a cheese stick, although now we are buying blocks of cheese and cutting it up or a yogurt carton, stuff like that). Anyway, my son always takes a cloth wipe in his lunch since we don't buy sposie napkins, it is just how he's grown up. Now he has volunteered me to sew wipes for each kid in his class (27) plus teachers and aides (3) So I need to make 30 wipes this week. (side note, I that my son thinks I can do this!) I didn't make any of the wipes we use, I bought them all. I have flannel, terrycloth, and a serger so I'm ready to go but what is the best way to do this? Do I need to cut 30 squares of flannel and 30 squares of terry or can I lay the fabrics out one on top of the other and just cut once? Do I need to cut rounded edges? Any ideas on how to make these quickly and have them look nice and uniform would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysmama
My son's 2nd grade class is involved in a competition with other classes where they are weighing lunch trash to see what kind of an impact it is opposed to a reusable lunch. My kid is in the 'green' class so they are to pack as reusable as possible. (yay!) My niece is in the 'trash' class and she is supposed to pack all disposable. Anyway, my son's lunch is almost all reusable (except for the wrapper of a cheese stick, although now we are buying blocks of cheese and cutting it up or a yogurt carton, stuff like that). Anyway, my son always takes a cloth wipe in his lunch since we don't buy sposie napkins, it is just how he's grown up. Now he has volunteered me to sew wipes for each kid in his class (27) plus teachers and aides (3) So I need to make 30 wipes this week. (side note, I that my son thinks I can do this!) I didn't make any of the wipes we use, I bought them all. I have flannel, terrycloth, and a serger so I'm ready to go but what is the best way to do this? Do I need to cut 30 squares of flannel and 30 squares of terry or can I lay the fabrics out one on top of the other and just cut once? Do I need to cut rounded edges? Any ideas on how to make these quickly and have them look nice and uniform would be really appreciated. Thanks!
I did mine quite lazily and the worked just fine. I stacked my fabrics together and used a cutting wheel to cut rectangles. I didn't bother to round the corners since the serger does the trimming. I don't know if that's the *right* way to do it, but it worked for me.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Serging wipes

I think I am going to lay them out together and just cut that way, I really want them to look nice, I think the teacher is going to collect them and keep using them in the class so hopefully they'll hold up. I may just use some other fabric to practice on. What size did you make yours? I'm thinking 6X6 so that I can get all 30 out of the fabric I have without buying more fabric. Is that too small?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I honest don't measure at all. I just run the cutting wheel through the fabric and use whatever I end up with. If I had to guess, I'd say most of mine are around that size. I prefer a smaller wipe. I think that size would work well for kids.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I honest don't measure at all. I just run the cutting wheel through the fabric and use whatever I end up with. If I had to guess, I'd say most of mine are around that size. I prefer a smaller wipe. I think that size would work well for kids.
That is what I would do if they were just for us but if the teacher wants to keep them for her class then she'd probably want them all uniform, ya know? I think I'm going to go for it...wish me luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your son is awesome. ♥
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can i just suggest that you do a straight stitch across the diagonal, after serging? It just helps the two layers to hold together nicely over washing.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can i just suggest that you do a straight stitch across the diagonal, after serging? It just helps the two layers to hold together nicely over washing.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I think they turned out ok:

Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
2boysmama