Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do not mix friendship with money. Pay in full or don't do it.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
This.

We stay away from any debt whatsoever.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: wwyd buying from friends?

I was in Grade 6 when we got a pop up camper. 25 years later we still own it & it has never molded. It wouldn't mold any more than a tent would if it was packed up wet.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan
We had a pop up for my entire childhood, and it never molded or mildewed. The key is that if it rains while you are camping, you need to set it up once home to fully dry. I am almost positive my dad also used a mild bleach solution to rinse it after it rained on a camping trip (once home--bleach, rinse, fully dry).
This. We had a pop up growing up too, and my parents would always set it up for a few days post-trip to clean it out and make sure everything was dry.

We took that camper all over, from FL to ID (originating in WI), and it was awesome. Great memories! However you go about it, I say do it, and have a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
This.

We stay away from any debt whatsoever.
That is what my gut says but DH has sparkling popups in his eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I was in Grade 6 when we got a pop up camper. 25 years later we still own it & it has never molded. It wouldn't mold any more than a tent would if it was packed up wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post
This. We had a pop up growing up too, and my parents would always set it up for a few days post-trip to clean it out and make sure everything was dry.

We took that camper all over, from FL to ID (originating in WI), and it was awesome. Great memories! However you go about it, I say do it, and have a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
So glad to hear some good memories! The boys will be 3 and 4 next summer and I bet they would love it!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #16
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill

That is what my gut says but DH has sparkling popups in his eyes.
Haha! My DH has sparkling motorcycles, handguns, and every other kind of "boy toy" in his eyes, but he knows if we can't afford it, we don't buy it.

You need to listen to your gut in situations like this. $1600 isn't a lot of money right now, but it could still cause a rift in the friendship or pave the way for borrowing habits for bigger toys and larger amounts. I wouldn't do it. Just save the cash. You will come across another killer deal if this one is sold, and when you do, you'll have the money to snap it up right away.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like you have a good plan - let them know you want it and save up to buy it in the spring if they still have it. If they don't, then you'll have that money saved up to look for another popup.

We purchased a popup (for cash) from parents of friends of ours about 5 years ago. It has been a great experience. We usually average 14-18 nights a summer (although with my end of school, graduation, boards and starting a new job, we only camped 6 nights this summer). I refuse to camp on the ground. I am 42 and far too old and am perfectly happy in my king size bed in the camper. I love it for all sorts of reasons. I know that our kids will have wonderful memories of our trips. My oldest was 6 and the youngest only 2 when we got it.

Now that the boys are getting bigger, we are starting to talk about whether we look into a 5th wheel or what we want to do. I am not quite ready for them to be in a tent outside of the camper, but in the next year or two that may be what we do.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I grew up camping with my family in an old pop up (it was old, even back then) and we LOVED it. I have so many fond memories of camping in it. DH never really did, but we love to tent camp (pre DS) and can't wait to get a pop up with AC, heat, and beds, LOL

I would absolutely make payments. I wouldn't ask them to hold it till spring, just because you won't be using it till then. That's not their problem since they are trying to sell it *now* but if it's not urgent and they are good friends, I suppose you could jsut save up. But to be honest, if you are being contracted to buy it in the spring (it would be really crappy to back out after them holding it all winter) then you might as well buy it now and make payments all winter on it. JMHO
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Write it all out & have checks or some proof. Of pay & all so they can't say u not pay & all....
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm in the minority. Personally, I try never to buy/sell anything from family or friends, nothing at all. If I REALLY wanted it, I would pay in full or ask them to wait till I could pay in full. Making payments definitely could cause a rift in the friendship. They say now that a tight month won't cause issues. You think now that you won't take advantage of that. But, things change and things happen. How will they feel if you have a tight 2 or 3 months? How will you feel if they ask you for a payment? Will you really choose to make a payment to them if they are lenient over that extra Christmas or b-day present you want for your child or family member?

This is something I would not do, probably not even paying in full. If anything goes wrong with the camper and you suspect they knew about it, you will not be able to help any negative emotions about it. If anything goes wrong and you mention it, they won't be able to help feeling guilty.

It's a very risky and delicate thing to buy/sell with friends or family, IMHO.

Good luck with your decision though!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote