Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
ashley0929
Registered Users

My Mood:
What can I do? Help!

Okay, we are renting at house and the house has a septic tank in the yard that has been needed to be pumped since we moved in really. They have not been able to get to it every single month because the rain floods our yard (we live in Florida).

Now the septic tank has backed up, all the way into our ONLY bathroom. The bathtub is full of septic water (with FECES *tmi*) And we cannot flush the toilet at all. My husband called the landlord, and he said he would see what he could do but because it was Saturday morning..he said we might have to wait until Monday. We called him several times after that, and he never returned our calls.

Today is Sunday, and I have two kids in the house breathing the fumes in from this, and we are all unable to flush the toilet..so you can only imagine. So I call the landlord, and I leave him a message saying "I have two young kids in the house, and this should have been fixed yesterday" etc. Needless to say he calls right back. He has the nerve to yell at me. Saying that he called the Septic people and they did not return his calls. And I said to call some other places, and if he won't I will. He freaked out when I said that, he said.. "I am not paying 500 dollars to get someone to come out there on the weekend, that is too expensive and I will only use my guy and they obviously won't be there on the weekend" I flipped out, and hung up on him.

I have no idea what to do. My kids have been breathing in the fumes, and can't go to the bathroom or shower, or take baths. And the landlord won't get someone out here yesterday or today because "it cost too much" I guess our health is not a concern. What should I do? Is there a place I can complain to? We don't have any money or we would have just had someone come out and do it ourselves, then give the landlord the bill. I can't stand another day like this, and who knows if they will even be here Monday to do it...

Advertisement

Last edited by ashley0929; 10-07-2012 at 09:16 AM.
ashley0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What can I do? Help!

WOW that has to be illegal to make you live with feces in the house.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Found this:
* Florida Statutes, Section 83.51, require a landlord to comply with the local
Property Maintenance Code. This means:
8. All houses or apartments must have a flush toilet in good working condition.

* If your landlord has failed to comply with the previous listed code responsibilities,
and has ignored your request to undo their unlawful action, you can contact The
Code Enforcement Branch of city or county in which you reside and
request that they contact your landlord and explain that their action is illegal and
violates your local code.

http://www2.fiu.edu/~caj/landlordtenantinformation.htm
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I would be a wench and also call the county health dept. They usually oversee septic systems. They will force him to take care if the issue immediately if you report a non working septic system or one that is failing. It is a health risk!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
ashley0929
Registered Users

My Mood:

I want to call the health department, but because it is Sunday do you think I am going to have trouble getting hold of people? I want to call and complain and get this fixed asap.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no idea, but maybe if you (or your dh if he's calmer to talk right now) call the landlord back and reference the code that will get him moving. Or he should have to pay for your hotel room until your house is habitable again.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
ashley0929
Registered Users

My Mood:

That is what I was thinking, they should pay for our hotel for the night.

But the guy was such a jerk he refused to pay to have it fixed, I am sure he would refuse to spend the money for us to be in a hotel.

I might have my husband call him back like you said, since he is calmer.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would call-or have dh-and give the above info asap. Id also warn him that has x amount of time to call another company and get them out or you will be calling the health dept. as well as the code enforcement folks. Even if they are closed and you cant get a person leave a message so theres some type of record. Then you could contact a company, pay out of pocket, and take the landlord to small claims court.

What a douche!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 10-07-2012 at 09:51 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets
I would call-or have dh-and give the above info asap. Id also warn him that has xamount of time to call another company and get them out or you will be calling the health dept. Even if they are closed and you cant get a person leave a message so theres some type of record. Then you could contact a company, pay out of pocket, and take the landlord to small claims court.

What a douche!

This!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It is illegal. He has to fix it. Your home is uninhabitable. I would do a search for tenant rights, and contact the proper authority. I *think* you can reduce your next month's rent by the amount of your hotel...it's worth looking into.