Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Favorite taco soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
Marianna, when you cook up the beans, what do you do with the ones you aren't going to use right away? Do you put them in the fridge or freezer?
I put them in the freezer

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988

I put them in the freezer
Good to know! Like I said, I never really learned how to use dried beans (in fact, the only beans my mom ever bought were canned kidney beans, which she put over rice with some other stuff every single night for herself). I think I'll cook up a whole bunch tomorrow and freeze them, I always forget to soak them over night, so I think I'll be more likely to do this.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I"m the same way. My mom rarely makes things from scratch, so there are LOTS of simple things that I should know that I don't. I had no idea how to cook beans until earlier this year.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cook and freeze beans all the time for recipes. 1.5 cups of cooked beans is the same as a can of beans. I usually cook and freeze in 3 cup amounts so that will equal 2 cans of beans for us. When I make taco soup I use ground turkey or diced chicken breast, 3 cups of black beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes (or use chopped frozen), 1 cup of frozen corn and then add taco spices. I don't use package taco mix so I add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and oregano. If I don't have a fresh onion I will also add some dried minced onion. I think the recipes I have seen also call for a package of ranch mix but I don't use it anymore so we just season as above. If you want it a little spicier you can use a can of rotel style tomatoes and chilies in place of the diced tomatoes. The recipe is really forgiving.