Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: mommas that did ferber method sucessfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Couldn't agree more. We don't Ferber as we sleep train our infants and newborns so there is no relearning at a later age. We, meaning parents and babies and children, are incredibly blessed by it here. I will say we sleep train at naptime not bedtime. Maybe that would work with guys who share a room. Put one in a pack and play in your room for naptime and work on learning to fall asleep on their own happily during the day when you are both fresher and less likely to disturb anyone. GL!

Leslie how do you mean you do it at naptime rather than bedtime?

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
Leslie how do you mean you do it at naptime rather than bedtime?
When we have toddlers or babies who are learning to fall asleep peacefully, on their own, that is a skill we practice at naptime not at bedtime. We prefer to practice our falling asleep skills during the daytime naps when adults aren't also trying to get to bed and more easily frustrated and exasperated with learning children. Again, this is something we do much younger when there isn't as much "training" to do. Our newbies are more than happy to nap . But, if there is a sleep concern or weaning from a sleep prop, we address those at the beginning of naps, not at bedtime. Nothing new or "training" occurs in the evening when everyone is ready to wind down.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.

Last edited by GEMQEMCABOOSE; 10-07-2012 at 10:18 PM.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I didn't do Ferber per se (I've never read the book) but probably did something similar.

We tried two things - putting baby to bed first so crying was over by the time dd1 went to bed (and she was very good at sneaking in quietly).

After some sleep regressions we would put dd1 to bed in our bed and then move her back when we went to bed.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
1 minute is an eternal hell for me, I never did the method. Most babies never get beyond the 2nd night before they are going to bed without an issue. Sleeping without all the baloney that I see people going through is a gift. So many people think that their baby is just going to nicely learn to fall asleep and if they don't then that is the way it is supposed to be. Teaching a baby to go to sleep is just another part of parenting. The Ferber method uses an exact technique that if parents follow, will allow their baby to very easy to go to sleep. Everyone will do better when well rested. This method is not for young infants, I think under 6 months of age. My sister did it when my niece was about 10 months old.
Actually I disagree, I never found a grown adult with no other health issues, who just can't sleep cause their parents didn't teach them. Sure CIO works for some, but it also creates problems for others. I was going to stay out of this, but the bolded is just silly. I have friends who CIO and do Babywise and their kids sleep horribly, I have friends who CIO and have great sleepers, I have friends who never CIO and their kid sleeps mostly good, but wakes up for the day at an ungodly hour, I have friends who never CIO and have amazing sleepers from early on. The difference is the individual not the system. So to OP I have no advice, but to the quoted, no not every kid on earth needs sleep training, though some kids might have more sleep issues then others.

Last edited by Fairycat; 10-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
When we have toddlers or babies who are learning to fall asleep peacefully, on their own, that is a skill we practice at naptime not at bedtime. We prefer to practice our falling asleep skills during the daytime naps when adults aren't also trying to get to bed and more easily frustrated and exasperated with learning children. Again, this is something we do much younger when there isn't as much "training" to do. Our newbies are more than happy to nap . But, if there is a sleep concern or weaning from a sleep prop, we address those at the beginning of naps, not at bedtime. Nothing new or "training" occurs in the evening when everyone is ready to wind down.

Thank you, so well put. I've learned so much by reading the things that you have talked about over the years. If I had been able to have another baby I would have done the system where you consciously feed baby more on a 'schedule' (1 1/2 - 2 hours during the day) during the day. Then playing/interacting for a short time before sleeping again. It just seems to lend itself to a natural rhythm for baby and family.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thank you, so well put. I've learned so much by reading the things that you have talked about over the years. If I had been able to have another baby I would have done the system where you consciously feed baby more on a 'schedule' (1 1/2 - 2 hours during the day) during the day. Then playing/interacting for a short time before sleeping again. It just seems to lend itself to a natural rhythm for baby and family.
Aw, thanks . We have been so blessed by establishing a "natural rhythm" (LOVE how you put that ), we love to pay it forward and help others in some way. Thanks so much for your kind words. It means a lot especially on DS, where I have certainly taken my knocks.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote