Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Switching handwriting styles and having trouble

I am not homeschooling anymore. I did a trial run with homeschooling with dd last year. I decided to enroll dd in a charter school that is academically ahead and is in the style I was homeschooling in. I did HWOT with dd and her school is using a different style with double lined paper. The letters are formed a little different and since it is double lined they start differently. At her school she gets a homework folder once a week and she needs to do any corrections from her school work from the week too. It is due in a week but they encourage to get it done early to develop good habits.

DD is really struggling with handwriting and always has handwriting corrections. I used to do a letter a day and sometimes would take more than a day with a letter if she was struggling when I was working with her. She struggled with handwriting but she did pretty good and formed her letters correctly since I showed her how and was working with her.

We had a busy summer with 2 moves and I didn't work with her this summer like I wanted to. She lost a lot of the skills I taught her and handwriting was one of them. Now she seems to be really struggling especially since the style she learned is very different. She just doesn't seem to get how to make her letter touch the top and bottom line and the middle for certain letters or how she starts a little under the line and needs to go up and over. She also has a tendency to write in capitals when she is not supposed to because that is what she learned first in HWOT. I didn't think that her school using a different style would be such a big deal.

I talked to her teacher about how long it was taking us and how dd was having a really hard time with forming letters. She told me that if she gets frustrated to just end the session. She also told me that she doesn't have to hand her homework in early and to work on it a little at a time and don't spend too much time on it. She told me to work on her fine motor skills in fun ways too. She also told me that it makes sense she is having a hard time since she started with a different method. She said it might take her longer to learn because she learned two methods but once she does learn it will be like having a second language and it will help her. She said don't worry too much it is still early in the year and at least her handwriting is legible.

This week I am following her suggestions and it is a little better but handwriting is still taking a lot of her time and she still coming home with most of the letters they worked on in school needing correction. I like that they focus on forming them correctly and learning the correct way but it seems like it is going to be a real struggle for dd. Handwriting was always my worse subject and my dh's handwriting is sloppy too.

Did anyone else have a little one struggling with handwriting or who had to switch styles and it was a struggle? What did you do?

Advertisement

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 10-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Switching handwriting styles and having trouble

By hand writing, are you meaning cursive? Or printing? How old is your DD?
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching handwriting styles and having trouble

I did Hand Writing without Tears with her and her school uses another style. It is printing not cursive. HWOT uses double line paper and you start letters capital letters and big letters above the top line abd lower case at the top line. Her school uses triple line paper and the letters need to touch all three lines for big letters and the dotted line for small letters. There are differences in how they are formed too. It isn't as hard as switching from print to cursive but she is having a hard time with the new way of doing things. DD just turned 6 and is in kindergarten since she missed the cut off to start school last year.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 10-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote