Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1631
HookedByCarolyn's Avatar
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,129
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBananas
I have only knit one skirty, and it is sooo cute

So, I have realized just how much I suck at doing the cuffs on soakers, I just haven't found my groove in picking up stitches, it seems, maybe I BO too tightly? Have anyone just left the soaker as is, with no little cuff on it, or is that a soaker no no?
I have, but only under skirty's. I hate doing soaker cuffs too!

Advertisement

__________________
Carolyn ~ mommy to 4boys (10.5, 7, 4, 18months) 2girls (5.5, 2) and 2^i^
KNIT GALLERY**MY STORE**CROCHET GALLERY
HookedByCarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #1632
knibert's Avatar
knibert
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,397
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBananas View Post
I have only knit one skirty, and it is sooo cute

So, I have realized just how much I suck at doing the cuffs on soakers, I just haven't found my groove in picking up stitches, it seems, maybe I BO too tightly? Have anyone just left the soaker as is, with no little cuff on it, or is that a soaker no no?
I had one like that that was purchased and I loved it for around the house. Every time i do soaker legs the are always tight...maybe not enough PU'd sts?
__________________
Karyn, SAHM to DD (11-29 -04--daddy's bday! DS1(1-5-07) and DS2 (3-16-09). swag with me need something knit? I will knit for trades. examples of work here
knibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #1633
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 14,824
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn View Post
I have, but only under skirty's. I hate doing soaker cuffs too!
Glad I am not alone. I couldn't get past the picking up the stitches part, so I gave up on the soaker. The skirty I have doesn't have the cuffs on it, I figured nobody would notice, lol.
__________________

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #1634
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 14,824
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knibert View Post
I had one like that that was purchased and I loved it for around the house. Every time i do soaker legs the are always tight...maybe not enough PU'd sts?
I haven't even gotten to the point where I can actually knit the cuff, it is the picking up the stitches that I have a problem with. I will have to try another one and BO loosely and see if that helps me any.
__________________

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #1635
HookedByCarolyn's Avatar
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,129
My Mood:
Ugh! I absolutely hate when I'm doing a custom and I update every day, they respond every day, then I get the item finished and it's time to pay, and suddenly I get no response for 3-5 days! So far, in the 5 years I've been crocheting and knitting for others, I've never had anyone screw me over and not eventually pay. That's why I've left my policy of no payment until you've seen a picture if the finished product. I'm thinking I might change that now though.
__________________
Carolyn ~ mommy to 4boys (10.5, 7, 4, 18months) 2girls (5.5, 2) and 2^i^
KNIT GALLERY**MY STORE**CROCHET GALLERY
HookedByCarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #1636
bumminbeachbabe's Avatar
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressPurl
Oh you haven't LIVED until you knit at least one skirty! I remember when that trend began yeeeeears ago. I made the first 'bloomers' style back in the day when HC was the CD world.
I've never had a good reason to make one. I have boys and while DH is pretty laid back he wouldn't take kindly to me putting a skirt on one of our boys. I'll probably jinx myself by making it, but it'd be so fun.
__________________
Anjuli, recently separated mom to Bubbles, my 5.5 year old wild man, Squidge, my almost 3 year old daredevil, and Lou, my 7 month old newbie
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #1637
bumminbeachbabe's Avatar
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn
Ugh! I absolutely hate when I'm doing a custom and I update every day, they respond every day, then I get the item finished and it's time to pay, and suddenly I get no response for 3-5 days! So far, in the 5 years I've been crocheting and knitting for others, I've never had anyone screw me over and not eventually pay. That's why I've left my policy of no payment until you've seen a picture if the finished product. I'm thinking I might change that now though.
That would tick me off!

I've never done a soaker, but not having cuffs wouldn't bother me. I figure soakers are used under stuff so who really cares. I've actually got one I bought that doesn't have cuffs.
__________________
Anjuli, recently separated mom to Bubbles, my 5.5 year old wild man, Squidge, my almost 3 year old daredevil, and Lou, my 7 month old newbie
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #1638
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 14,824
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn View Post
Ugh! I absolutely hate when I'm doing a custom and I update every day, they respond every day, then I get the item finished and it's time to pay, and suddenly I get no response for 3-5 days! So far, in the 5 years I've been crocheting and knitting for others, I've never had anyone screw me over and not eventually pay. That's why I've left my policy of no payment until you've seen a picture if the finished product. I'm thinking I might change that now though.
that is frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
That would tick me off!

I've never done a soaker, but not having cuffs wouldn't bother me. I figure soakers are used under stuff so who really cares. I've actually got one I bought that doesn't have cuffs.
I never had a reason to knit a skirty, until #7. They are so much fun, though.
__________________

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #1639
stevensmom's Avatar
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: a little place called Home
Posts: 50,214
My Mood:
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*



Benj and I play the piano. I also play the steel drums, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto, tenor, and bari sax. Benj plays the trombone.

Steven has picked up the trombone.

I was the only girl in SW washington that marched with the bari sax when I was in high school
__________________
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #1640
Scaethach's Avatar
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 6,326
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuk2girl View Post
I'm a classically trained pianist!


Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
Love the instrument talk I did violin for 10 years, but never picked it up again after HS graduation. It sits in my closet with a broken string. Taught myself clarinet in 10th grade so I could join band and marching band to spend more time with the boy I liked

Hoping for some knitting time with my FASC shawl today... have about an hour drive each way to our main event for the weekend. FIL is 60 today. We're all going to watch him sky dive!
Sooo jealous of violin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzee1081 View Post
Spinning class is today at 10am yay! Can't wait!
Yay hope you're learning lots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBananas View Post
Glad I am not alone. I couldn't get past the picking up the stitches part, so I gave up on the soaker. The skirty I have doesn't have the cuffs on it, I figured nobody would notice, lol.
That's so easy to have happen. I always try to err on the side of caution and pick up a few extra stitches, and then always make the ribbed cuff vs. rolled etc. so it will gently squeeze back in around the leg.

I honestly don't like the look of skirties *on* little girls at least until they're up and walking, and I think long ones look strange. (Just knit, I've seen interlock ones that look better at smaller stage IMO). I think Pixie's will probably be over the top of convertible bloomers.

Goals for today:
Finish what I didn't get done yesterday and go get groceries. Tomorrow is applefest and going out to eat for DH's birthday (his birthday is Monday but his brother takes him out on the weekend).
__________________
Mindy
Spinning/knitting/crochet mama behind the Woodland Pixie
Mama to Pi 9/14/08 Pixie 6/5/11 and Baby E 5/2/13 !
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.