Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: The reason behind no sandwich meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I was gonna say, you put them on AFTER lol.
I guess I could do the cheese/meat/bread... toast it. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, THEN add the veggies. That way it's not too hot, but is still cooked/has the toasted flavor...

Is 3-5 minutes in a 400* oven going to be enough for the meat?

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I heat my meat for 20seconds in the microwave. By the time I put it on the bread 2 minutes later, it is completely cooled off. I thought it would be gross, but the truth is, it's not even 2bits different. It's just not.

The issue is listeria which is so rare. And most women will say that they ate lunch meat every single day for their entire pregnancies and never had any issues. And that's nice for them. But there was a listeria outbreak during my pregnancy with DD 2 yrs ago and it's just not worth it to me.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with a grilled cheese and Lunchmeat sandwich. I add lettuce, tomato, etc.. after its grilled. Yum
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

hm. I thought it was only certain lunch meats?

I'm on my 4th baby and have eaten lunch meat as I wanted (usually at least once a day on my homemade Bfast sandwich - I don't cook the meat before I eat the sandwich), and even told all of my caregivers that I eat it everyday, and no one has ever said anything to me.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Am I the only one who has no problem eating lunch meat? Really, how often have any of us gotten food poisoning from fresh, refrigerated lunch meat before. No doubt there is some risk, but probably far less than riding in the car...anyone else feel like a horse and buggy for the pregnancy?!? I don't eat it too often because of high sodium and nitrates, but I wouldn't feel guilty for a moment!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?

Last edited by weesej; 10-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not going to lie... I ate subway sandwiches for lunch nearly every day for my lunch while I was pregnant before my maternity leave and no harm came to me or my baby.

You are at an increased risk if you contract listeriosis because it can cause complications for you and baby. You aren't at any increased risk of being exposed to listeriosis than anyone else by eating that sandwich. The concern is that if you get sick, and have a fever and other symptoms like vomiting/diarrhea that you can become dehydrated etc. You're worse off in the third trimester if you are exposed because your immune system is not as strong. If you take the risk and eat the sandwich, just keep an eye out for flu like symptoms. If you get sick, then you will need antibiotics.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Seriously, nuke it for 15-20seconds, let it sit while you put the sandwhich together-with all those yummy cold veggies-and by the time your done the meat is room temp and the sandwhich will be delish

Even when I go to subway I have them nuke the meat and then they put it on the bread straight away but by the time all my cool veggies are put on I cant tell the meat was ever heated.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
hm. I thought it was only certain lunch meats?

I'm on my 4th baby and have eaten lunch meat as I wanted (usually at least once a day on my homemade Bfast sandwich - I don't cook the meat before I eat the sandwich), and even told all of my caregivers that I eat it everyday, and no one has ever said anything to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
Am I the only one who has no problem eating lunch meat? Really, how often have any of us gotten food poisoning from fresh, refrigerated lunch meat before. No doubt there is some risk, but probably far less than riding in the car...anyone else feel like a horse and buggy for the pregnancy?!? I don't eat it too often because of high sodium and nitrates, but I wouldn't feel guilty for a moment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajiggles View Post
I'm not going to lie... I ate subway sandwiches for lunch nearly every day for my lunch while I was pregnant before my maternity leave and no harm came to me or my baby.

You are at an increased risk if you contract listeriosis because it can cause complications for you and baby. You aren't at any increased risk of being exposed to listeriosis than anyone else by eating that sandwich. The concern is that if you get sick, and have a fever and other symptoms like vomiting/diarrhea that you can become dehydrated etc. You're worse off in the third trimester if you are exposed because your immune system is not as strong. If you take the risk and eat the sandwich, just keep an eye out for flu like symptoms. If you get sick, then you will need antibiotics.
All of this. This is my 4th pregnancy and I've eaten it (uncooked) with all of them and never been told otherwise by a physician!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
Dr.HeathenFaerie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I ate meat and pretty much anything else I wanted during both my pregnancies and this one. I'm careful about the handling of my food but I personally feel like we (as a society) go a bit over board sometimes on this kind of thing. Like a PP said your chances of actually getting sick are not any higher than anyone else, you just have a weaker immune system and it could be worse for you. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then I wouldn't but if you feel ok about it and the meat is not old or otherwise compromised I would go ahead and eat it.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Only 12 pregnant women per 100,000 will contract it (as opposed to 0.7 per 100,000 in the general population). Out of those twelve women, the fetal fatality rate is 20-30%.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I regularly eat lunch meat that I don't preheat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621056/
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote