Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Question about life support/death.

We found out lastnight that my uncle has no brain function. He was in a car accident a few days ago, and they think it was caused by him having a heart attack or a seizure. They took him off of life support at midnight, and as of right now, he's still alive. He is struggling to breathe, but his heart and everything is still functioning normally, apparently.

Does anyone know what they do for someone that just won't pass, even after they've been taken off of life support? He's basically a vegetable, and this just seems like ridiculous torture. :/

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Question about life support/death.

They do not do anything but wait. There is nothing they can do. So sorry for your loss.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, he will pass. Usually no one lives longer than 8 days like that, unless they are given food/fluids.

My friends mother just passed. 9 days she went. No food. No water. Just her morphine drip. It's agognizing but considering you can not assist death, it takes time
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
They do not do anything but wait. There is nothing they can do. So sorry for your loss.
Is it even considered a loss right now?

I'm just so frustrated.

He's not there... mentally, emotionally, spiritually, he's not there... and I know this. Physically, he's there... and it voids everything else out when you're sitting here waiting for him to pass. He's on morphine, so I know that he's not in any pain... but this just seems like torture.

It just shows that he's even staying stubborn through this... but good grief I wish he could make it a little easier on us - turd!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

They just wait. That happened to DH's mother (car accident and they determined her to be brain dead), and she lived in a vegetative state for 3 years before she finally died. Usually if they don't pass soon, they end up with some kind of secondary infection like pneumonia, which is what they die from.

I'm really sorry!!

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I consider it a loss, as your loved one is no longer here as you know him. It has to be hard for you all, I am sure.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Well, he will pass. Usually no one lives longer than 8 days like that, unless they are given food/fluids.

My friends mother just passed. 9 days she went. No food. No water. Just her morphine drip. It's agognizing but considering you can not assist death, it takes time
It's just horrific. I can't imagine waiting 9 days. I want whatever is best for his wife and siblings, but goodness gracious this is not easy. I keep waiting to hear the official word that he has passed, and I've BEEN waiting for 18 hours now. We really just need closure. I know that's he's not THERE... I just wish all of this could be over already.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
They just wait. That happened to DH's mother (car accident and they determined her to be brain dead), and she lived in a vegetative state for 3 years before she finally died. Usually if they don't pass soon, they end up with some kind of secondary infection like pneumonia, which is what they die from.

I'm really sorry!!
Three YEARS? Gah. There's NO freaking way. No way at all that I (or any of my family) would be able to deal with that. There's just no way.

I would imagine, since he's been having trouble breathing for about 8 hours now that it should happen soon... but good grief, he obviously knows how to prove us all wrong. I can't imagine how hard it is for his wife (my aunt). She's in the room with him... just... waiting. And waiting. And waiting.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I consider it a loss, as your loved one is no longer here as you know him. It has to be hard for you all, I am sure.
It's been really hard. The whole situation is just really upsetting. You never expect stuff like this to happen to your family. He's only 52 years old. Way too young for something like this to happen to him. And also the fact that they are not 100% sure of what caused the accident... cardiac arrest, seizure, etc. A lot of unknowns, including when he is going to pass, so everyone (him included) can finally be at peace.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My dad died in car accident on site, my aunt (mom's sis) literally skin and bones from cancer, and mom's parents (from altimeters (spell prob off) both were on drips for a while. sometimes hanging on for someone to get there to say goodbye... I have seen this happen. My hubby's grandma too.

Has all that wanted to say goodbye done that? maybe that's why.

I have had a lot of death in my life and it isn't easy. my uncle just passed the most recent as I know of and its hard. yes I would consider loss as well.

good luck and hugs.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote