Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #41
smores
Registered Users

Re: Do you own a fabric quilt? share pictures if you want. Would love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I have a few. I have one that is manufactured, but its warm and holds up to machine washing. I have had it 10 years.

I have two on my bed right now that are handmade, though I'm unclear as to who made them. We found them in my grandmas house when she died.

When my mom was pregnant with me, she was a waitress at the Waffle House and a regular customer made a beautiful embroidered baby quilt for me.

This is the one I cherish most:

It was made by the wonderful mamas in my Sept '10 DDC here. My Sept '10 baby was stillborn, and I went on the have a Sept '11 baby after.

They each wrote something very special on a square, and then Jamie quilted it all together. They gave it to me when I was pregnant with my rainbow baby. I will cherish it forever.
That is so sweet... that has to be the sweetest quilt story I've ever read. What a beautiful gift.

Advertisement

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #42
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you own a fabric quilt? share pictures if you want. Would love to see them.

We have a few quilts . DD has two, DS has 1 & I have one that I made with my aunt when I was a kid. It sits on the end of our bed even though it matches nothing . It is wild and crazy colors.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 AM   #43
AugustHope
Approved as buyer only due to past issues.
seller
seller

I have all kinds of them! I am not home right now to actually count them, but it is somewhere around 12-15 big quilts. I love to hit the local Amish auction every year and have bought several that way. We have some that were won or raffled from Church, a few from benefits, and the one DH's grandma made him. She made each of the 4 boys in that family a quilt and gave them to each of them as wedding gifts...however, she had apparently given up on DH ever finding me as she gave it to him before we met! Either way, it is special. Each of my children have a couple that their DH's Grandma made. I have some quilt tops that I have put together with my mom that need to have the backs put on, I just can't decide if I want them tied or not so that is our hold up!

I love quilts and nothing is better than snuggling under them. DH wishes sometimes that I had a hobby/collection that didn't take up so much room though, until it gets cold out and he wants a quilt, then he is thankful for my over-indulgence~
Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #44
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
My Grandma used to quilt and made all the grandkids quilts. I have a small lap quilt & a big full sized one. My brother has an awesome star quilt that I love!

My mom also quilted back in the day, and she made a full sized one for me which is still sitting under her bed unfinished after 15 yrs or so.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #45
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^ hahahaha the infamous UFO!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #46
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some seasons I love simple quilts, but right now I'm loving these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elsancl...ol-683539@N22/

http://six-white-horses.blogspot.com...starburst.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flossyb...-56451824@N06/

I made some starburst blocks already, but they are lost in my office.

My next quilt will probably be wonky stars. So easy and cute!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmyliz...l-1619410@N25/

Last edited by *Peanut*; 10-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #47
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have made hundreds of quilts. I made my first top at age 4.5 and still have it i own maybe 15, the rest were for my business or family.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #48
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Here are the two on my bed. I think my grandma made them, but I will never know for sure.

I adore quilts. I will never be able to afford to buy one from a quilter, so I really hope to learn how one day. It's on my short list of things to learn in the next few years.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #49
smores
Registered Users

For those of you wanting to learn... it is really easy to learn. Just start small and simple! I drooled over modern quilt blogs for about six months before I just said SCREW IT, I'm going to learn! I have 6 WIPs and 2 finished quilts right now, but it should be 4 finished quilts by the end of the month.
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, we have quilts. We love our quilts... my boys are big blanket boys. Thank goodness cause my MIL makes them TONS of quilts. Can't complain though, she makes the most gorgeous quilts ever (I'm biased though). She has probably close to at least 100 quilts in her own house, probably more We 'only' have 15, wow I've never actually counted till now .

Boy's 'baby' quilts...

Quilts are expensive, but so worth the expense IMO. You could always make the quilt top yourself (if you decide to learn) and then hire someone to quilt and bind it... my MIL does this a lot for her clients.

Last edited by jenni_michelle; 10-08-2012 at 12:18 PM.
jenni_michelle is offline   Reply With Quote