Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #51
amholb0
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you own a fabric quilt? share pictures if you want. Would love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_michelle View Post
Yep, we have quilts. We love our quilts... my boys are big blanket boys. Thank goodness cause my MIL makes them TONS of quilts. Can't complain though, she makes the most gorgeous quilts ever (I'm biased though). She has probably close to at least 100 quilts in her own house, probably more We 'only' have 15, wow I've never actually counted till now .

Quilts are expensive, but so worth the expense IMO. You could always make the quilt top yourself (if you decide to learn) and then hire someone to quilt and bind it... my MIL does this a lot for her clients.
Wow, your MIL make gorgeous quilts! I hope to start quilting one day, right now I mostly make clothes for DS.

Advertisement

amholb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #52
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you own a fabric quilt? share pictures if you want. Would love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
in the house we have...

a gagillion (okay maybe 6) crib size quilts - I LOVE making those
2 toddler ones that P and E are sleeping under...they coordinate - I made them
1 twin size one that I made for DH when we were dating - it stays in the living room for snuggling on the couch
a queen size one my cousin made for us for our wedding
a king size one I made for me/us hoping to have a king size bed sometime :-/

In storage I have a full size one made for me when I was a kid

Oh and a "in progress" one I am making from the ties and shirts from my Grandpa (he passed away)....I want it PERFECT so it is taking me awhile....I should really hurry up though

I just got done with 4 twin quilts that I made for my MIL to put at their ranch house on 2 bunk beds...those were a lot of work..but look really cool.

For all my friends I have made quilts for their first kids...they are just recently getting around to having kids (I had my oldest when I was a teenager)...so it's been fun

Right now I am working on a crochet blanket for our bed.

I think that is all the handmade ones

ETA
here is a pic of the ones I made for the middle kids (they are on their toddler beds)

and this is a crappy picture of one of the twin one sI made for MIL
Oh, I love that they match but are gender specific. Very pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I have a few. I have one that is manufactured, but its warm and holds up to machine washing. I have had it 10 years.

I have two on my bed right now that are handmade, though I'm unclear as to who made them. We found them in my grandmas house when she died.

When my mom was pregnant with me, she was a waitress at the Waffle House and a regular customer made a beautiful embroidered baby quilt for me.

This is the one I cherish most:

It was made by the wonderful mamas in my Sept '10 DDC here. My Sept '10 baby was stillborn, and I went on the have a Sept '11 baby after.

They each wrote something very special on a square, and then Jamie quilted it all together. They gave it to me when I was pregnant with my rainbow baby. I will cherish it forever.
AWWW, how special... it is very pretty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
Yes, I quilt, though I have a lot of WIPs and not a lot of finished pics! Here's one:

Ooo, I love girly quilts!! Maybe cause I have all boyish quilts and only one 'girly/feminine' quilt for myself. Cute baby ya got there I love the flower headband too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Here are the two on my bed. I think my grandma made them, but I will never know for sure.

I adore quilts. I will never be able to afford to buy one from a quilter, so I really hope to learn how one day. It's on my short list of things to learn in the next few years.
I love that second quilt, the design and colors are pretty!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #53
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks, I think so too Clothing is what I do right now too, I'd love to eventually venture into quilting, but when I have someone else making them for me, with their money well... I'm sure you get it LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amholb0 View Post
Wow, your MIL make gorgeous quilts! I hope to start quilting one day, right now I mostly make clothes for DS.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #54
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't own any for myself, but I buy them for my children. We have three, though I only have pictures of two:

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.

Last edited by wordmama; 01-05-2013 at 06:36 AM.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #55
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had one similar to the one above as a kid. I loved it. It was a gift from my grandma, but she didn't quilt it herself. My boys both have a couple of quilts. My mom and I made one for DS1. I started one for DS2, but never got around to finishing it. I've made a few for friends. My all time favorite quilt though is one my great grandma started. It was just a scrap quilt made from old clothes. We guessed she'd probably started it in the early 70s. When she passed, my mom took the front (it hadn't been quilted yet). It sat in a closet for about 20 years before she and I finished it. It's just a bunch of smaller triangles in very 60s colors. We added a denim border to it and bound it with brown. I love it.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #56
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

Hm, we have 4 so far. MIL loves to quilt, so she gave me one to quilt and put on the binding, made one for my daughter (which is so sweet since she's my dh's step daughter), and one for DD2. I have one that I just need to put the binding on. MIL paid for everything to put it together. When I said I wanted to make a quilt before the next baby, she was right on it and paved the way for me!

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #57
Grannykt
Registered Users

My Mood:

Make one for yourself it is not too hard if you can sew a running stitch by hand you can do it.
Grannykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #58
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My great grandma loved making quilts. She made one for each of my boys that is crib sized and before she got sick and made one for me that is pink (for my someday daughter) I'm so thankful for her. Not many kids can say they have a quilt from their great-great grandma. They aren't the greatest craftsmanship but I live them dearly. I will dig them out and take pictures.

Ds1 with his quilt

Ds2 with his quilt

This is one of my favorites because its made from my grandmas old dresses and grandpas old pant suits. It's ugly as sin but very special (and warm ) I also have one she made that is made of my dads old flannel work shirts...

She wasn't one to waste stuff...some of my favorite quilts are her scrap quilts that have no rhyme or reason other than to use up perfectly good scraps.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Last edited by Holly dolly; 10-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #59
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have oh, golly alot! I have the one my Mom made when I was a baby, I have the crib size that my Great-Great Grandma made before I was born. She passed away before I came into the world, so it is proudly displayed. She actually hand quilted this and it is the tiniest squares! We have one on our bed that my Mom made us.

I have made a quilt for each of my 7 grand children and I have 6 cut out and ready to work on this winter. I don't have any pictures in photobucket right now, but if I think about it, I'll look.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #60
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My Nana (mom's mom) made a gorgeous Hawaiian quilt for my parents when they were married. It's a King size and I can't even fathom how much work she put into it. This is the only pic I could find, it shows some of the amazing pattern:

DD also has a few small quilts from my mom, MIL, and a friend of ours. Here's one by our friend: