Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #61
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you own a fabric quilt? share pictures if you want. Would love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
This is the one I cherish most:

It was made by the wonderful mamas in my Sept '10 DDC here. My Sept '10 baby was stillborn, and I went on the have a Sept '11 baby after.

They each wrote something very special on a square, and then Jamie quilted it all together. They gave it to me when I was pregnant with my rainbow baby. I will cherish it forever.
Love you Laura!

I have lots of quilts in the house - most of them made by me. My aunt taught me how to quilt when I was 19 and I've been making them ever since. I have a handful of crib sized ones (those are the most fun size to make!) and some bigger picnic blanket ones. Let's see what pictures I can round up...

One of my absolute favorites! I made it right after DD2 was born:

A table runner I made for my MIL:

A small quilt I made as a gift for a dear friend:

I also have two quilts that my aunt made for me. One was a wedding gift and one was a baby shower gift when I was pregnant with DD1. I love them all!

Advertisement

Last edited by JamieJLD; 10-08-2012 at 09:30 PM.
JamieJLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #62
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki
My Nana (mom's mom) made a gorgeous Hawaiian quilt for my parents when they were married. It's a King size and I can't even fathom how much work she put into it. This is the only pic I could find, it shows some of the amazing pattern:

DD also has a few small quilts from my mom, MIL, and a friend of ours. Here's one by our friend:

*drool*

I LOVE Hawaiian quilts. Going to quilt shows is worth it just to see those. They are so gorgeous. I love yours!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #63
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you own a fabric quilt? share pictures if you want. Would love to see them.

What a neat thing to do. You are very blessed to be have so many who care. It's lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
What a lovely quilt Laura!
My eyes got a little misty over it
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #64
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very nice quilts ladies!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #65
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_michelle View Post
Yep, we have quilts. We love our quilts... my boys are big blanket boys. Thank goodness cause my MIL makes them TONS of quilts. Can't complain though, she makes the most gorgeous quilts ever (I'm biased though). She has probably close to at least 100 quilts in her own house, probably more We 'only' have 15, wow I've never actually counted till now .

Quilts are expensive, but so worth the expense IMO. You could always make the quilt top yourself (if you decide to learn) and then hire someone to quilt and bind it... my MIL does this a lot for her clients.
You are right - those were gorgeous! Why would you do the top and hire someone to do the rest? I would think the top was the hard part?
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #66
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancnfool View Post
You are right - those were gorgeous! Why would you do the top and hire someone to do the rest? I would think the top was the hard part?
Depending on the pattern, the top can actually be really easy (basic, straight-line sewing). If someone is making a bed-size quilt (queen or king) it can be too big for a home sewing machine to handle. Plus, if you want an intricate quilting design on it(like some of these), those can be done much more easily with a long arm quilting machine, which can be cost prohibitive for someone who just sews as a hobby.