Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: WWYD: needing advice

I personally would probably chip in the $100. If your DH suggested the lot, then they may have chosen that one specifically because he recommended it. I guess I probably wouldn't park in a place like that, I would go more for a bigger lot like a grocery store or Walmart or something. But it is too late for all that of course, so I would give the money. I don't think you are ethically or morally required to, but in this situation it is what I would do.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #32
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maybe it's different in my state, but every parking lot I know of has some sign saying that its a private lot and cars in the lot outside of business hours are subject to towing on the vehicle owner's dime. It's kind of a CYA type sign. If that's the case, the tow isn't going to get written off. Parking lots are private property and parking in one after hours is always at your own risk. That said, it's rarely enforced, unfortunately, that day it happened to be. Even if your DH said he'd parked there, it was still her choice to do it, and she assumed responsibility parking there. I've sped before without getting a ticket. That doesn't mean you should all go out and do it expecting the same result.

All that said, if I had some cash it pitch in toward the bill, I'd probably do it for the sake of the relationship. However, I wouldn't take food out of my mouth for her bill, you know?
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
Maybe it's different in my state, but every parking lot I know of has some sign saying that its a private lot and cars in the lot outside of business hours are subject to towing on the vehicle owner's dime. It's kind of a CYA type sign. If that's the case, the tow isn't going to get written off. Parking lots are private property and parking in one after hours is always at your own risk. That said, it's rarely enforced, unfortunately, that day it happened to be. Even if your DH said he'd parked there, it was still her choice to do it, and she assumed responsibility parking there. I've sped before without getting a ticket. That doesn't mean you should all go out and do it expecting the same result.

All that said, if I had some cash it pitch in toward the bill, I'd probably do it for the sake of the relationship. However, I wouldn't take food out of my mouth for her bill, you know?

This is what I think too.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup I was thinking $50..but $100 seems too much for me.

Dh said something along the lines of "I've parked here before without any issues" and he knew they were going to combine cars. I didn't hear what was said or have any info on this (I was in the car with the kids when they all parked and he walked over there to talk to them when we got there). I do realize the possibility is always there for a ticket, but I'm along the train of thought that if you don't feel comfortable, then you need to personally not do something. Nothing is ever 100% certain when it comes to parking. But I do awknowledge that dh isn't totally innocent in this.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #35
smores
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm not made of money but I'd be chipping in at least $50 and more likely $100. Your DH made the suggestion and it sounds like they are not from the area (you said 45 minutes away?) and they probably trusted his advice. I'd be mad too, if someone in my family told me it was a reliable place to park. Every place has towing signs. Yeah, you're taking a chance, but if you're going to have to take a chance at the bank down the street or the bank that someone has already parked at before and never had a problem, which would you choose?

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #36
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
Yeah, I'm not made of money but I'd be chipping in at least $50 and more likely $100. Your DH made the suggestion and it sounds like they are not from the area (you said 45 minutes away?) and they probably trusted his advice. I'd be mad too, if someone in my family told me it was a reliable place to park. Every place has towing signs. Yeah, you're taking a chance, but if you're going to have to take a chance at the bank down the street or the bank that someone has already parked at before and never had a problem, which would you choose?
This is what I was thinking. Although I would not demand money from a relative for an honest mistake either.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

we're not from the area either- it's 45 minutes away from us. But yes, he did make the suggestion to park there.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #38
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd feel badly if my husband suggested a place to park and they trusted his suggestion and they got towed. It isn't his fault and they didn't have to follow his advice, but they trusted it.

If I was her, I'd be annoyed at the situation. However, I wouldn't have asked you all to chip in either. And I certainly would not demand it. Tacky, IMHO. She is an adult and could have realized a bank isn't a great place to park.

That said, I would chip in the $100 because you husband helped with the decision and it isn't worth letting it come between family.

Also, I don't think her spending habits have anything to do with this situation even though I can understand why they would bug you.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I were in your shoes, I would send her $100. No, you don't have to, but for ME that would be the right thing to do.

And really it isn't your business if they blow their money or not, I wouldn't care if they had money or not, I would still send them $100.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smores
I agree with this. It stinks all around. While I do believe she is an adult and didn't have to park there if she didn't want to, they parked there on DH's suggestion so unfortunately he bears some of the responsibility.