Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
So NOW what? 8th grade suggestions...

We started the year out doing My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures with my 2nd and 8th graders. My older dd lasted only a short time before she nagged me enough to put her in public school. I put her in and quickly switched my younger dd to Adventures by MFW since I thought it would be a better fit. All is well, until my older dd decided I was right and she was wrong. She begged to come back to homeschooling. Okay, I give. Too bad I have already sold almost all of her stuff! Now what?!
I could really use some help figuring out what to do to fill in the gaps.
We have:
Math: Saxon 8/7
Science: Apologia Physical Science
Bible: We can handle figuring this out I think...
Grammar: Application of Grammar
Spelling Power
that's it! We need-
History and Lit. (would love to combine these...):
Writing:
Vocab:

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Notgrass is wonderful for combining history and literature! Though I think it is officially for high school, you could go on and start and split t and go slower. They read lots of books in it. Formally it provides credit for literature, bible and history.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: So NOW what? 8th grade suggestions...

I will probably use MFW for hs, and I think Notgrass is scheduled...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Well, I have a set of Abeka World Geography sitting here that has never been used. It was in the free box where my MIL works and my SIL grabbed it in case I could use it, but we already had history covered. If you want it, it is your's. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.

If you're not interested in that, I would suggest Progeny Press for literature. Truthquest could be good for history, provided you have a good library available. You might also consider putting together your own state history.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, I have a set of Abeka World Geography sitting here that has never been used. It was in the free box where my MIL works and my SIL grabbed it in case I could use it, but we already had history covered. If you want it, it is your's. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the mail.

If you're not interested in that, I would suggest Progeny Press for literature. Truthquest could be good for history, provided you have a good library available. You might also consider putting together your own state history.
Thank you so much for that offer, so sweet of you! I think I want to stick to a state and president study, since younger dd is doing early us history, and we are in the election year. I am just going to have to trust myself to put something together.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I really like "Learning Language Arts Through Literature." It's a great curriculum and really easy to implement.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would expand upon the Adventures...have older DD study early US history as well, add in some higher level books and they could do some of the same topics just more in depth for your older daughter.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
I would expand upon the Adventures...have older DD study early US history as well, add in some higher level books and they could do some of the same topics just more in depth for your older daughter.
In the end, I think this is what I have decided to do. The advice I got over in the MFW board was great! I also got Essentials in Writing 8th grade level and will get a few Progeny Press guides. We will read as many of the suggested readers/read alouds for that time period as possible, as well as a few novels for lit guides, and then just some classics and poetry for fun.
Here we go!