Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Dog owners, ever dealt with staph infections? Or allergies?

My 9 week old puppy is at the vet right now. Got in a scuffle with our cat and he went for his eyes. Poor guy had to have his inner 3rd eyelid stitched :-(

Anyway, he has a hot spot on his neck, they tested it and it's a staph infection. Said its likely from rough housing with his littermates and scratching at it.

His father is allergic to chicken and we think he is too. He's currently on Purina puppy as that's what they had him on but starting this weekend we'll be transitioning him to taste of the wild brand grain free puppy food (and chicken free!)

Has anyone had experience with staph infections, allergies or eye injuries? We just got the poor guy Saturday!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dog owners, ever dealt with staph infections? Or allergies?

Our dog has severe food allergies. She cannot have wheat, corn, or rice. There are a couple high end grainless foods we can buy her, but for the most part we cook her food (usually 3 days worth and refrigerate a bowl full) or feed her a raw diet. Allergies are manageable. Sorry I don't have experience with staph or eye injuries, but just a little tip. If you know his only allergy is chicken, and he happens to get in some and starts looking puffy, reds, or starts scratching alot, benedryl is safe to give dogs I can look up the dosage if you think this is something that may be good to keep on hand!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sorry you're dealing with this but yes, I am familiar. Taste of the Wild is great. We had to use it for our pit and our great dane. It's truly cleared up all sorts of allergies!! My Dane had terrible allergies and would scratch her ears to the point of them looking like raw hamburger. The vet even sent us over an hour away to Duke University because they weren't sure what was going on. Is was nearly 10 years ago so I'm sure they've become far more aware of grain allergies, thankfully.

It's costly, but totally worth it. You'll also find that they eat less since it isn't full of fillers and they also have healthier bowel movements.

Best of luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have four dogs, and only one is allergic. She drove us nuts for a while.

She's on medication every other day. Plus, she eats expensive dog food. The best food we have used (and obviously we use that now) is Blue Basic Salmon and Sweet Potato.

Every now and then we get a bag of Taste of the wild Bison/sweet potato dog food. (I can't remember the brand for sure, but I think it's TOTW) because eventually she will become allergic to whatever is in her usual food. Her allergies seem to evolve as she eats the same food for too long.

We don't know what she's allergic to, but clearly the grains bother her, because even bread or corn will cause a reaction. Recently, my husband let her eat a bowl or white rice and corn and black beans, and she was chewing on her feet within a few hours. (I was not pleased)

She also has environmental allergies too. Dogs usually have more than one allergy.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 10-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
VanessaWhite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our pug has had staph a few times. They just put her on an antibiotic (can't remember which one). She also has horrible allergies. I have heard that Taste of the Wild is good. I think it just depends on the dog too. We had her on Natural Balance for awhile, but just took her off because it hasn't seemed to help anymore. So we are going through the process of trying other all natural foods. Omega 3 is great for them. You can get pills or a liquid form to put in the food. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My older dog was run at while my husband was walking him when he was 10 months old and was viciously bitten on the back of his neck before my husband could pull the other dog off. He ended up with staph. The bite went deep and we had to inject a sterile water solution in it twice a day to flush it out, and he was on antibiotics for a while. We gave him kefir to drink a few times a day to try to replace the good bacteria, he loved that. We hid the antibiotics in balls of cream cheese as he needed to gulp it down and swallow without tasting them. We did the kefir for a couple weeks after the antibiotics were finished and also were putting in some probiotics in his food. I bought a jar of them and opened the capsules, and then just put in half a capsule each day, sprinkled on his food. I was really paranoid about his GI tract because he was a rescue and came to us with parvo and giardia, so his GI tract was still sensitive.

This dog also has a lamb allergy. We found that out when he started scratching like a wild thing after eating a can of Merrick lamb sausages. We stay away from anything with lamb now and he seems fine, though does go through stages where he scratches a lot, and I think he may be allergic to something else that we haven't quite discovered.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Poor puppy! As far as allergies we've had great luck with a raw diet (I like Bravo Complete, it comes in many varieties like beef, turkey and even more exotic like venison). It's expensive, but well with it. Our Golden has really done well on it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Thanks guys! He's home now and apparently he's bouncing off the walls so must be feeling good! He's on Keflex for the staph and an antibiotic eye ointment. I'm going tomorrow to get some plain yogurt to help his tummy from the antibiotics!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep. I have four dogs and one of my APBTs have super, super bad allergies. When he has a flare up, I have to give him steroids (finding the right one was fun... not) and yeast medication because his paws will get super yeasty. I also have to put him on Cephalexin if it gets really bad. He was on injections but those were way too expensive and with seasons changing, it's too hard to stay on top on various pollen. He's allergic to himself! It's crazy. lol

Sanddi
Single mommy to my Sylasarus

sanddimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

I'm learning that allergies are common in pitbulls! Our 2year old doesn't seem to have any and has great skin, but not the little guy!