Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone here have a vintage stove in their kitchen?

I do not have one now - but when we moved from MI to OK and moved in to my great grandmothers house during my junior year of HS, that's what she had

It wasn't "hard" to use per say - it was just "temperamental" I think the biggest thing i didn't like is that the pilot light would go out and i haaaaaated lighting it. Scared the crap out of me every time. But this could be her particular stove, not necessarily a common issue. The thing didn't heat evenly, so one side was always hotter than the other in the oven - but we just compensated by rotating.

IDK - i am sure she bought the thing before i was even born, and when we eventually sold the house after she died it was still working - so despite it's "interesting" cooking, it lasted FOREVER.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

THIS is pretty much exactly what my kitchen looks like, with some minor differences.

Our house was built in 1961 and I am about 90% sure that these are the original appliances that came with the house.

I'll be honest, I hate them.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE (did I mention I HATE) cleaning the stove top. It is such a colossal pain in the rear end to have to remove every coil and then the drip pan underneath and then wash those AND the cavity underneath the drip pans INSIDE the stove top. I flipping hate it.

My oven doesn't heat evenly and it costs me more to run my oven than it does to run my TV, washer, dryer, AND computer.... COMBINED.

I'm just biding my time until I can afford a new kitchen, with new appliances.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My parents are gradually redoing their kitchen in their 1930s house. My mom's dream is to get one of vintage replica stoves, but she hasn't been able to find many that aren't gas.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
oooh yes! I was going to suggest this too! I'd love to have a matching set. In aqua..

like this, made by northstar:

I love those Northstar appliances, and the big chill fridges!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs

oooh yes! I was going to suggest this too! I'd love to have a matching set. In aqua..

This would be amazing! I love it. But I would want some sunny yellow accents in there too.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MIL has a vintage gas range in her basement that I would love to 'borrow' since I have gas in my house I yearn for more than 4 burners with all the cooking I do.

This is a beauty....
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/app/3253849965.html

or this one...
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/3263942590.html

Last edited by missemily; 10-08-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: links to nifty stoves....
missemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do. It burns gas like crazy. The pilot is so hot that there is always palpable heat coming off the stovetop and you can't set anything down without heating it up. Great for drying pots and pans and softening butter though!

Also, the oven runs HOT. We got an oven thermometer and it runs 200+ degF hotter than the dial says. We have yet to figure out a reliable calibration.

I would get a refurbished one and not just a true vintage stove. They are super inefficient.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
smores
Registered Users

My DH's family has one in the cabin in the mountains. It's beautiful, but I also think it's very inefficient!
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post

Yep, that right there is what I want! Not necessarily in that color, I would love white or red. I love the aqua, but my DH would HATE it! (I used to have small plates in that color, though, with white bigger plates and light blue bowls. lol) I agree with it needed yellow accents in there. That, with a school house lights...*swoon* I also love the subway tile on the back splash. That's what I want to do in our next house.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like the look of the northstar ones but I don't like the practicality of one. I need a BIG fridge and those are no bigger then what I have now. Yeah they look nicer then what I have now but I would need 2 of them to fill my needs.

Now vintage stoves look nice but I would imagine they would be hard to maintain. However because of my afore mentioned problem with the fridge, I think I have to stay modern.