Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD? Stuck thinking I'm going to school for nothing

Ok, I just finished reading the posts...

No, DH really couldn't go back to school. He's smart, but I would call him "street smart". He always struggled in school. He couldn't go back to school, and it would be hard for him to find an even higher paying job. He gets decent money at the factory as he has a skilled position there. Not enough to live on the one income with 4 kids. We do receive a small amount of state assistance. Not enough to survive on of course, but it is a help.

I think I'm just super frustrated right now. It's just rediculous that I am already a nurse, but in order to finish my RN, I have to take stupid courses just to get into the program at the college. I'll look into some of these online courses. Thats a good idea. I basically assumed all of them are the same when it comes to the classes, but from what I'm hearing on here, it doesn't seem to be that way?

Ok, deep breath.....I will look into the classes, see if I can finish this semester passing. If I don't pass with a high enough grade to get into the program, I think I'll take a bit of time off, and work part time until the kids are all in school. thanks all.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY

I've never heard of this before. I will try to look into it shortly, thank you!

Thank you all for reading my post and being kind. I think I was expecting everyone to tell me to just suck it up, and keep moving forward with nursing. It's nice to know that so many of you are letting me know it's ok to step back and think about this. I really appreciate your help!!
You're welcome. Here's the link for you http://www.excelsior.edu/ecapps/face...on=detail&id=5

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I 2nd looking for another bridge program. Here you can bridge from being an LPN (a 1 year course!) to being an RN by taking a two year program. Your LPN training should count towards your RN training.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
ecotwinmom
Registered Users
seller

I feel for you! Nursing school is hard! The time commitment and studying is killer for those of us with families. I did the Excelsior program and unless you are super motivated, I'm not sure I would recommend it. Back when I finished my degree, ALL of the studying was independent and you had to go and take a "final" exam for each class. There was also a clinical exam once all of your credits were done, where you had to spend 3 days in an out of sate hospital, caring for patients under observation with an examiner, without making an error. It is still worth looking into, maybe it has changed since I did it.

I think getting your degree is worthwhile, there are so many things you can do with a nursing degree. And the schedule can be very flexible, allowing you make some money while you work on building your business, which is what I did. You may also find that you get tired of the diaper shop once your kids are older (which is what happened to a friend of mine), and you would always be able to find work in nursing again.

Good luck to you!
ecotwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote