Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Oct 8 - Oct 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducko View Post
I need to come back for some more motivation. We are having a hard time not spending right now. We are on Baby Step 6. Last month my dad died of a massive stroke and so our snowball went to funeral, travel, eating on the road etc. This month it's now hard to pay that extra to the house. I've got a bad case of the "I WANTS". Partly because I think I'm miserable and miss my dad. I'm tired of feeling deprived. I know I will be so much happier if I wait. It's just hard to convince myself right not that "stuff" isn't gonna solve my unhappiness and loss. So here, I said it out loud and now I gotta stick to what I know is right. It's just hard.

My youngest son has also been having some speech issues. Now our doctor feels he needs an MRI and to see a neurologist. Which I'm stressing over. Luckily, it's not a money issues that have me stressed. We have enough set aside for medical this year in our HSA.

So I'm trying to commit to: "use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without."

So sorry to hear about your dad. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Well, our Sandrail(dunebuggy) did sell this last weekend. YES! Today I am going to be able to pay off our car and one of our smaller CC. Now we can concentrate on our over $14,000 CC. I think it is going to take us 3+ years to pay it off . Unfortunately, DH is an electrician and job security right now is hard to find. Although, right now he is on a project that should last another 10months, thank God. Not to mention he gets no sick leave, vacation pay or holiday pay so we HAVE to have a savings account specifically for him to be able to take days off. Already we will need money for two days for Thanksgiving, one day for Christmas and one for new years.
We are going to take out a loan from our pension to pay off the CC. Now, the only reason we are doing this is because it will save us money. The interest is only 4.2 verses 11.99 on the CC. PLUS, all of the interest goes back into our pension, so it is kinda like putting extra into our retirement. It still scares me that it is going to take so long to get this paid off. Any other suggestions on how to get it paid down earlier?

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Well, I found out for sure we are expecting again, in mid June.....yep its waaaaay early. AF is not even late yet.....I just knew something was up and started testing and today...viola. What a shock! This was definately a surprise.
So....what does Dave say about this? I will probably work part time until April or May and any money I make after paying the sitter will go to the sb.
ATM, our bills are:
dentist: 350$
cc: 550
sl: 7k
cc: 9100
truck: 9500
sl: 16K

DH pays the truck and the sl's, I pay the cc's and the dentist. Him and the little cc I should be able to knock out by the new year hopefully. (Well, not going to "knock out" my dentist.....unless he starts drilling before the novacaine takes hold....then its ON!!! lol)
Shaking my head here......theres pretty much nothing extra in the budget. Im trying to get the truck refinanced. I sent the paperwork in to PenFed and still havent heard back. That will only save like 50-60 a month though. And we arent able to get out of the verizon contract til January I think.....then we are switching to straight talk and that will save us 110 a month.....cant WAIT for that!! Looking in to refinancing the house (currently 5%, we owe 87k, bought in 09), the monthly note would not be reduced unless we extended the terms and even then it would only be for another 3 years and not by that much so it didnt seem worth it to me for the hassle.
Any ideas to reduce what goes out? Im thinking I wont be able to work after the new bean gets here in June.......3 in childcare.....whew no thanks!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Something we did that is unconventional but saves big $ for us: we paid our mortgage off with a home equity loan. We owe about $65,000. We originally bought the house for $135,000 in 2007. Instead of refinancing to get the low interest rates and paying the associated refinance fees, it was cheaper to do this.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
Can you send me a link to your page? Starting to browse for our little guy due in March.

AFM, I've been MIA for a few months, and we have not been sticking to budget. My baby sis moved in, we are expecting again, and we put our house on the market...excuses, excuses, lol. We dipped into FFEF for some unexpected improvements needed before listing the house. We still need to replace one month of expenses, then a little extra since we are expecting a larger mortgage when we move. Then we can FINALLY get back to our BS4-6 plans.

Wish us luck for a quick sale. We really want to be settled into a new (to us) home by the holidays, so we can get everything ready for our Spring baby. Had several couples look this week. Fingers crossed...
I stock 2 places right now...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Bumstoppers?ref=si_shop and

http://hyenacart.com/stores/Bumstoppers/
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I just had a big old whiney post, but lost it all to a button happy 2 yr old

Basically, just a bunch of unbudgeted for nickles and dimes eating at our budget. From $10 to pay for DD1's ID so she can take her SATs to a $5 coupon forgotten while grocery shopping putting our grocery budget over, etc etc.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Alright, I'm joining you ladies as of today. DH and i sat down last night and finally, FINALLY made a budget and figured out where to begin. We have started Dave like three different times and never even gotten to the budget part. Good news is, we both are super motivated and on the same page. Bad news is, we are behind on bills. So...it's catch up time.

Spent the day promoting DH's photography business on FB and updating his blog; a few sessions booked for the holidays would really help is get current. I have some things I can sell (diapers, etc) but I have to find time to photo and list them. And won't DH be surprised that I spent some time today making family cloth so we don't have to buy TP, 'cause we are almost out and we have NO money.

We figured we have about 30K to pay off, but it's mostly one CC (16K) and the rest is a bunch of piddly stuff that we should be able to knock out with snowballing. I'm hoping 1 year, 2 MAX. Our mortgage is only 65K on top of that.

It feels GOOD to have a plan. I feel in control for the first time in a looooong time.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #27
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

My rent has yet to clear, so I got impatient and paid bills tonight instead of tomorrow when DH gets paid (it hits the account at 1am, so when the rent had not posted to the account by 6pm, I knew it would not be a problem). We were able to pay off our line of credit, I'm so excited!! It only adds $25 to our sb, but we are now down to four debts, having started with six. We should be able to put a significant amount on our first CC this month, too, thanks to the $513 I made selling at a consignment sale two weekends ago.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
My rent has yet to clear, so I got impatient and paid bills tonight instead of tomorrow when DH gets paid (it hits the account at 1am, so when the rent had not posted to the account by 6pm, I knew it would not be a problem). We were able to pay off our line of credit, I'm so excited!! It only adds $25 to our sb, but we are now down to four debts, having started with six. We should be able to put a significant amount on our first CC this month, too, thanks to the $513 I made selling at a consignment sale two weekends ago.
WOW thats awesome!!! WTG mama!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Well, I found out for sure we are expecting again, in mid June.....yep its waaaaay early. AF is not even late yet.....I just knew something was up and started testing and today...viola. What a shock! This was definately a surprise.
So....what does Dave say about this? I will probably work part time until April or May and any money I make after paying the sitter will go to the sb.
ATM, our bills are:

DH pays the truck and the sl's, I pay the cc's and the dentist. Him and the little cc I should be able to knock out by the new year hopefully. (Well, not going to "knock out" my dentist.....unless he starts drilling before the novacaine takes hold....then its ON!!! lol)
Shaking my head here......theres pretty much nothing extra in the budget. Im trying to get the truck refinanced. I sent the paperwork in to PenFed and still havent heard back. That will only save like 50-60 a month though. And we arent able to get out of the verizon contract til January I think.....then we are switching to straight talk and that will save us 110 a month.....cant WAIT for that!! Looking in to refinancing the house (currently 5%, we owe 87k, bought in 09), the monthly note would not be reduced unless we extended the terms and even then it would only be for another 3 years and not by that much so it didnt seem worth it to me for the hassle.
Any ideas to reduce what goes out? Im thinking I wont be able to work after the new bean gets here in June.......3 in childcare.....whew no thanks!!!
Congratulations on the little bean! Dave recommends slow the debt snowball to min. payments and start saving for the baby. If you don't end up using that savings (for needs only) then at the time that the baby is home safe and provided for, then you throw it all on to your debt in a lump sum. You really only lose a few months of interest this way. It will prevent any additional debt being added and give peace of mind that you have extra cash there for any pregnancy complications or emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
Woohoo! Congratulations! Nice work on the consignments sales too.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #30
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi
ATM, our bills are:

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote