Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #61
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblindsey
Hi, I'm new on here...but love this thread. My hubby and I have been doing the envelopes with cash for a while now. Problem is that we have our third baby coming in Dec and I'm feeling that need to buy, buy, buy to get ready for her...especially in the CD department. My friends are throwing me a diaper shower in two weeks, but I'm nervous everyone will just bring disposables as gifts (even though they have my online registry infor where I registered for CDs). Then I'll be stuck with a bunch of disposables. Ugh. Most stores won't give you money back for disposables now...they want you to trade it for another baby item in the store. Any thoughts/ideas how to make the best out of this??
Target and walmart will let you return for gift cards. I've done it at both

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #62
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread Oct 8 - Oct 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyrebekah View Post
Had another splurge- bought some pads from Denelle. Mama needs a new serger!
Thank you Emily

We survived this week, but my store is almost empty. I am still waiting to hear back from the shop on whether or not they can source the part to fix my machine. Fingers still crossed!
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #63
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's been a long week but I'm back. Dh took me out for dinner for our tenth anniversary last night. We went to our favorite steak house and took ds with us. Bill was around 60 (70 with tip) but I had $45 in gift cards to get used, so we only paid about $30, which isn't bad at all for the three of us. I mean, we spend $20 just to eat at chickfila, so $30 for such a nice dinner seems great. I didn't need groceries last week so I skipped an entire week on the grocery budget, but made up for it this week with a bigger trip. I've been trying to limit myself to $50 a week this month so I can save the other $50 for a big costco run next month. So far so good on that goal. Other than that we haven't really spent anything. Got some bad news on my car last night. Went to have it looked at for trading it in. The guy asked where we bought it and told us the guy that owned that dealership was a crook (we already knew that) and that our car had been wrecked and fixed incorrectly. We somewhat knew that but thought we had the problem resolved, but I guess not because they won't give us much on trade in for it. So if we trade in our lemon car we're going to loose thousands. So frustrated with the car situation right now.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #64
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I broke down and got a bed today

Actually, it's just a mattress, not a whole bed. $600 with 14 months no interest (and of course, I'll pay it off before then). I just could NOT spend another week sleeping on that lumpy twin sized mattress in my room. My left arm has been on fire for days, and my back has been killing me for two weeks now. Ashley furniture was having a promotion this weekend, so I took the plunge. Bed will be here Wednesday.

I plan to make the minimums on the mattress until the CC's are clear (since they are gaining interest) then I'll pay off the bed.

My next thing is saving for a car. I was going to save for a down payment for a condo for me and DS, but I found out recently that with no recent rental history, by bad credit, and the fact that I would have a minimal down payment, I'd be hard pressed to qualify for a mortgage

So the plan is: save for car, save for condo down payment (10% of estimated condo cost), then move into a rental apartment for a year and then try to buy a condo. I figure renting for a year will also help me figure out what kind of space DS and I can live with, and also whether or not I can really make it and support a household.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #65
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
It's been a long week but I'm back. Dh took me out for dinner for our tenth anniversary last night. We went to our favorite steak house and took ds with us. Bill was around 60 (70 with tip) but I had $45 in gift cards to get used, so we only paid about $30, which isn't bad at all for the three of us. I mean, we spend $20 just to eat at chickfila, so $30 for such a nice dinner seems great. I didn't need groceries last week so I skipped an entire week on the grocery budget, but made up for it this week with a bigger trip. I've been trying to limit myself to $50 a week this month so I can save the other $50 for a big costco run next month. So far so good on that goal. Other than that we haven't really spent anything. Got some bad news on my car last night. Went to have it looked at for trading it in. The guy asked where we bought it and told us the guy that owned that dealership was a crook (we already knew that) and that our car had been wrecked and fixed incorrectly. We somewhat knew that but thought we had the problem resolved, but I guess not because they won't give us much on trade in for it. So if we trade in our lemon car we're going to loose thousands. So frustrated with the car situation right now.
We had to ditch my car. There were just way too many things wrong with it, and we've put too much into it. It seemed like every time we fixed something, something else went wrong (like we fixed the alternator, and DH noticed the wheel bearing was going, plus it still needed tires, an alignment, brakes, ugh). So we found a smaller dealer who was willing to trade my '99 SUV for a '98 minivan. There was no cash involved at all and I picked it up yesterday. The van needs a few small things, but nothing near what the SUV needed. It is really a relief to not have all of those repairs to worry about. I hope that you are able to find a solution!
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #66
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That would be nice, but I don't see that happening! So far everyone that's looked at our car doesn't even want to take it in on trade. So frustrating. I found a car I love, it's just perfect. I've been going back and forth. I WANT to drive an SUV, I love the room, I love sitting up a bit, etc... I NEED good gas milage (don't want to be paying a ton for a vehicle AND Gas and have it eat up all the extra money every month.). I WANT room for my dogs to ride with us, and luggage, and strollers ect... I want to buy a car that even if we have one more (or twins like my dreams keep pointing me toward- I have crazy dreams), it will still fit us all comfortably without having to feel cramped or upgrade cars. I REALLY WANT a vehicle with a third row so should the totally unlikely even of 3 kids happen (pipe dream territory here- 10 years TTC and only one living child probably indicates this isn't going to happen) I still have a seat in my car for my mom when she's with us. Well, the Mazda CX5 fits all of those wants except the extra seat for mom in the event of three AND the great gas milage. It gets the same MPG as my ford focus does with all of the room of a small SUV. I LOVE it. Of course I dont' want the dealer to know that, but it's perfect. Problem is, it is brand new in 2013, so my only option is to buy new. I can buy the most stripped down basic model with a manual transmission (I prefer stick anyway) for only about $2 K more than a focus. The base model is about $20K which is a lot for a car. I know what I should do. I should buy a small used car that I can pay cash for and go on my merry way. The problem is I have had so many lemon cars in a row now (ford truck, followed by toyota 4 runner, then another ford truck, then a chevy cavalier, then a buick rondevous, and now a ford focus ALL LEMONS!) I really want to buy something new that no one has caused problems with.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote