Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cool What's your "STYLE"?

DH and I got carded yesterday while buying beer at the grocery store, and it got us thinking lol! Is it because how we dress? Our hair style?
A lot of our friends have settled down, got married and/or had kids in the last couple of years and have transformed into what my hubby described as "old and boring". For me, I just think they're playing it safe, and it might just be in their comfort zone, or what they feel is appropriate to do.
When Hubby is off, he likes to wear modern jeans, quality cotton tight t-shirts, and bright Nikes, or vintage sneakers. He has a short, edgy shorta Mohawk.
My style is all over the place. I love comfort, but not not sweat-pants-matching-sweat-suits. I love my vintage styled Clarkes paired with leggings and over-sized sweaters. I often wear fitted jeans and tanks, or vintage, second-hand inndie attire. Some times I dress up with ultra dark makeup, but usually go completely without it and dress like a Hippy (according to dh). Ive got a short asymmetrical bob and am totally addicted to nail polish! Im also a little terrified of looking like the typical Stepford wife, or soccer-mom-house- wife.
OK, so now that you've grown up, and possibly had kids, has your style changed? For better or for worse? Is it where you want to be?

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What's your "STYLE"?

My style has changed a lot, mostly because I was raised in a conservative home and only wore dresses/skirts. I probably dress "younger" now than I did then. I used to have long straight hair and wore denim skirts with tshirts and sweaters and Keds tennis shoes. lol
Now I have long layered hair that I color on whim (getting ready to go back to dark brown), I have my nose pierced. I wear mostly jeans and tshirts and hoodies or sometimes a sweater. My three main colors are black, blue and brown. I wear Converse style shoes or ballet flats. I've recently started rolling my jeans because I realized it's the perfect idea for shorties like me who are tired of walking on their pants. lol I wear minimal makeup but have recently stated painting my nails. Right now they are colored glitter over lilac. So, while my basics have only changed a little my overall look is much more relaxed. I used to be super picky about my hair and spent forever drying and brushing and messing with it, now I towel dry and forget about it.

My husband dresses exactly the same as he did when we met 13 years ago, khaki pants or jeans with cotton button up shirts and brown leather hikers. He does not care about clothes at all as long as they are comfortable.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wear a lot of skirts and dresses. I hardly wear any pants. I like dressing feminine, but also casual. I wear a lot of long, flowy things. Lots of cardigans!! I love cardigans. I dress pretty conservatively, just because I think it's tacky when women go around showing a lot of skin or in tight fitting clothing. I wear a lot of natural hues. I don't go so much for bright colors. I wear flip flops or sandals practically year round. When it gets too cold, I wear ballet flats. I wear a lot of earrings. My hair is long and I wear it side parted, swept to the side. If I let it air dry (which I do most of the time) it's wavy, but if I"m going out or wanting to look more formal I'll straighten it.

DH has a big beard. He likes his beard, thinks it makes him look manly- lol. He wears a lot of jeans, cords, polos and sweaters. He's not really a t-shirt kind of guy outside of the house. He also wears flip flops a lot, but also wears closed toe shoes. I dont' think he owns a pair of tennis shoes, though, they are more dark brown type shoes (hard to explain). He has a more rugged style, I guess you could say.

Anyway, that's us.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we almost always get carded. not that i think we look young but because legally if you look under 40 they have to card you.

DH is a jeans and tshirt kind of guy. he'll wear a fleece when it's cold out.

i have a very eclectic style. but def nothing i would consider "mom-ish" i dont wear anything uber trendy since im too cheap to buy retail.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My "style" in not always "in", but it's what I like and feel comfortable in, my tops range in style, always skirts, always long, and foot wear is cowboy boot, tall leather boots, flips flops, tennis shoes, 4 inch heels and sandals of varying kinds. Reading this, I'm not sure I have a "style", it swings with my mood. Not any of it has change since having kids, maybe not as many Pooh and Tweety Bird shirts, but then the kids didn't really change that, just age in general. That being said, I really want one of those ladies sized sleepers at Target... so I guess age hasn't changed me a lot either.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
simplyleah87
Registered Users
seller

My style hasn't changed since having a child, I love fashion and I love to keep up with the trends! However, if a trend doesn't go with my body type I don wear it.
I love skinny jeans and tights and sweater dresses or indie/ vintage dresses
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
TexasHeatherLynn
Registered Users
seller

Hmm, I never was "trendy" very much. I have always been a country girl, and dressed as such. I was a tomBoy forever, but now I love to wear skirts and stuff. Mostly, I just want to be comfy. So, I guess I am a pretty stereotypical "mom" dresser. I wear flip-flops or Toms mostly, but love my "Man Eater" Tin Haul boots (which are a bit edgy I think). Rarely wear make-up and wear my hair up in a clip or pony-tail a lot.

Hubby wears boots and jeans, but follows the "country" trends. Like, he actually has designs on his back pockets now and tatters on his jeans. He either has a moustache or is clean shaven. He prefers more facial hair, but his work forbids it.
Riley & Dusty, twins lost 12/11 & 31/03~~Brody born still 5/28/05
TexasHeatherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
I've recently started rolling my jeans because I realized it's the perfect idea for shorties like me who are tired of walking on their pants. lol I wear minimal makeup but have recently stated painting my nails. Right now they are colored glitter over lilac. .
I roll my jeans too! And I love my Chucks, wish I had every color!
I've got lilac gliter over plum polish lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
I wear a lot of skirts and dresses. I hardly wear any pants. I like dressing feminine, but also casual. I wear a lot of long, flowy things. Lots of cardigans!! I love cardigans.
Oh, I love skits! I just started wearing them last year as I never wore them growing up! And I wish I had cardigan collection. I only have two wool cardigans but a adore them so much! I know them sometimes go on sale after Christmas, I should keep an eye out and see if I can get a good deal.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wear a lot of black. It's work required, but I also like to. I'm not a fan of bright colored clothing anymore. Only straight leg jeans. If not jeans, yoga pants or dress pants (at work) or a black high waisted skirt and stockings. I like boots (black - ugg or slouchy) and flats. I also have grey Toms.

I have an a-line bob. I grow my hair out occasionally but then I always end up cutting it. It's always got some sort of red in it, because I love reds. It's either straightened or I curl it. If I'm not working, I usually just let it air dry and that's that.

My eyebrows have to be kept up and filled in at all times. I wear a lot of makeup at work and when I go anywhere I need to be presentable. I do feel comfortable without makeup, though. I just feel more professional with it on.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
NiNi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyleah87
My style hasn't changed since having a child, I love fashion and I love to keep up with the trends! However, if a trend doesn't go with my body type I don wear it.
I love skinny jeans and tights and sweater dresses or indie/ vintage dresses
This.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote