Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Thrifty Kitchen

What has your thrifty kitchen looked like these days???

For lunch we had turkey sandwiches made with homemade bread, even though all I had left was whole wheat flour. Turkey was bought couponing.

Zucchini bread for a snack made with the zucchini from mil's garden and again the whole wheat flour.

Taco soup for dinner with tomatoes from mil's garden instead of canned. Jalapeno peppers from our plants. Ground beef that was given to us. Beans from wic.

Marinating cucumbers from mil's garden in vinegar/sugar/onions.

Been stocking up on apple sales, thinking of storing some in 5 gallon buckets.

We have an abundance of pumpkins and squash that we got uber cheap I'm thinking of roasting to use in my baking and in spaghetti sauce.

How about you?

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Re: Thrifty Kitchen

I caned 4pts of black beans, made home made maple flavored syrup, and yogurt today. And tonight my 9yo cooks for us he is making tacos half lentil half beef.

On Thursday I made hamburgers using 1pt of beans and 1lb of burger.

Last edited by drabekgirl; 10-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cold cuts (1lb total) were grilled sandwiches last night, reappearing in omelets for dinner tonight!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I made almost 13 quarts of applesauce today and this next week I will be doing at least that many more, plus some apple butter, and trying my hand at my own freezer french fries. I didn't get as good a deal on apples as in past years, but as awful as the apple crop was this year, I didn't do bad. I'm assuming the cost of store applesauce will go up, so it's still cheaper for me to do my own. And I got the potatoes that I'm going to use from the co-op -- 50 lbs of organic red skin potatoes for $35.

Oh, and we just got back from a trip to family in Michigan, so I have 12 quarts of apple pie filling, and a couple dozen each (at least) of green beans and tomatoes. The green beans and tomatoes were grown in the farm's garden, and the pie filling we canned from feed apples we found at a local store up there.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not doing great from my effort. However, my mother cans all the tomatoes, jelly, relish, peppers, pears, applesauce and other things that I will ever need. I am very fortunate.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I made almost 13 quarts of applesauce today and this next week I will be doing at least that many more, plus some apple butter, and trying my hand at my own freezer french fries. I didn't get as good a deal on apples as in past years, but as awful as the apple crop was this year, I didn't do bad. I'm assuming the cost of store applesauce will go up, so it's still cheaper for me to do my own. And I got the potatoes that I'm going to use from the co-op -- 50 lbs of organic red skin potatoes for $35.

Oh, and we just got back from a trip to family in Michigan, so I have 12 quarts of apple pie filling, and a couple dozen each (at least) of green beans and tomatoes. The green beans and tomatoes were grown in the farm's garden, and the pie filling we canned from feed apples we found at a local store up there.
Wow....kudos! Freezer french fries, let me know how that works! Do you weight the applesauce to calculate your savings?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

I desperately want to garden, but I'm awful at it. Each year I get a little better. This year I pulled a handful of veg off the plants, but I always forget they are out there. Sigh...free food!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
Wow....kudos! Freezer french fries, let me know how that works! Do you weight the applesauce to calculate your savings?
I have never really sat and calculated my savings. I might do that this year. To find my savings, I would just look at how much I spent (already had everything for canning this year, so just the apples), how many quarts of applesauce I got, and then see how much that amount would cost at the store.

ETA: I just did a rough price check, and it looks like this year I spent $3.55 per quart. That is for partially organic (local stores didn't have organic) applesauce that is healthier than what I can buy (nothing by apples, and I leave the peels on). Santa Cruz Organic applesauce is roughly $8 a quart, but Mott's Naturals is around $2 a quart.

Last edited by tallanvor; 10-13-2012 at 06:29 PM.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to add the crab cakes, crab dip, and fish that my mother also puts in my freezer. She lives on the the bay on the eastern shore of Maryland. She does so much for us. We are truly very grateful.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
smores
Registered Users

We just canned 8 pints of tomato sauce out of 10 pounds of tomatoes, and still have 5 pounds of tomatoes left.... they were $.69/lb!

I also got enough garlic and ginger to grind up to paste together for our indian curries... $4 for like 3 pounds of it all together? I love the "scratch and dent" produce section of one of my favorite stores.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote