Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: How many gifts?

It really just depends on the kids. A couple of years ago they each had like 10-15 gifts under the tree, but a lot of them were smaller, or hand made, or a necessity I felt would still be fun to open.

This year DD will probably be getting just one gift from us...a ball pit.

DS will be getting more. Probably some books, a board game or two, some legos, and a 3DSXL. Not thrifty really I know, but I am selling some of his old toys, and his old DS to fund the new stuff.

My S/O and I sometimes exchange gifts. He usually gets me one thing he knows I really want. He doesn't like me to buy him anything, so I try to make something he'll like. This year I want to crochet him an 8-bit mario blanket.

If I do exchange with the rest of my family, it's usually really small stuff. I think last year I got my mom (well the KIDS got my mom ) a little necklace and earring set from avon. It was like $8. She got me some socks and a new tea ball. I made my step-dad a new hat and they gave my S/O a coffee mug. We try to not make a big deal about exchanging gifts. Money is often tight and we don't like to put each other out.

My little sister and my dad always get something for the kids, but we don't exchange presents ourselves.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

We follow the rule of 4 (something you want, something to wear, something you need, something to read) plus a pj set and a new movie on Christmas Eve. Art supplies for stockings, and that's about it. Oh, they'll be getting stuffed animals with their books since we're buying the Kohls Cares books, which have corresponding animals
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just kind of wing it. i don't spend a specific amount or buy a specific number. But at Christmas we'll only have a 2 year old and 5-days-shy-of-one year old, so it really it isn't any kind of issue. We'll be moving right around Christmas/YDS's first birthday, so i'm trying to keep it simple. We had already bought a few things, but not sure we'll keep them all. One was an easel and the other was a kid size table and chairs, not sure of the room we'll have in the new place so not sure I want to bring those. So for now, YDS has a crawling tunnel, ODS has some lacing beads and felt board I made for him.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

We do 3 gifts per child usually plus Christmas p.j.'s. and Santa does stockings. We always do a mostly handmade or second hand Christmas. I always make gifts for my brothers and sisters. I have 8 siblings but if you count in-law siblings I have I have 13. Plus 3 nieces and 3 nephews. Then I have mine and dh's parents. I wrote out the list last night and it was 27 people long!

To make all this easier I tend to do gifts in mass.
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

Oh and I forgot I add that dh and I always exchange gifts. I enjoy the Christmas morning magic way to much to let that go!
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

We get gifts for our own children, our parents, and each other (DH and I). No nieces and nephews, siblings, cousins, friends, etc. We asked years ago to tame the Christmas Gift Monster and not exchange gifts with extended family. They did not love it, but agreed.

We give our kids 3 gifts, just like Jesus traditionally received, since it is His birthday party after all . We don't have a set dollar amount, but usually do one large ($50-75ish), one medium ($25-50), and one small gift ($0-10). The small gift is always a personalized tree ornament (my parents did this with me growing up and when I moved to my own home, I had a large lovely collection for my tree).

For the first time this year we are also doing chocolate oranges in the stockings. Nothing else in there.

The gifts for our parents are always a grandchild calendar and something homemade from the kids (this year is beeswax pinecone firestarters).

Last edited by Melinda29; 10-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

For those that do the want, need, wear, read thing, do the pajamas fall under your "wear" category?
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
hibiscus869
Registered Users

We've never put a specific number amount on presents. We have more of a dollar amount, and we work within that. So it depends on what they want. If they want one really expensive thing that's fine, but I make sure they know that will pretty much be it. Dh and I usually give presents to each other. We give presents to our parents, and usually do a gift exchange with siblings. Not too bad.

Last edited by hibiscus869; 10-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira
This year we are going with 4:
Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear (or share, haven't decided yet)
Something to read

Plus stockings and one Santa gift. And Christmas eve Pjs that I will sew.

At 1 and 4, I feel like this is the year that will set a precedent for the kids. I have a tendency to go overboard and this will be a good way to limit myself too.

Dh and I exchange depending on our budget, or we will pick something together.
We do this too. I only wrap 4 gifts but there are often more in one one box...for instance...the something to wear is usually an outfit. The something to read is usually a few books. The want is usually just one main toy they want. And the need is usually socks/undies/toothbrush.

And they get new Christmas pjs on Christmas Eve.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
smores
Registered Users

We do dollar amount, though I have budgeted a lot more for this year than last and am doing swagbucks to hopefully not spend anything for at least DH's brothers and SIL. We are keeping DD's christmas fairly cheap (I'm thinking probably $125 max?) and DH and I don't want much, and family will get gifts between 20-30 each (there are only 9 gifts for them between our two families and if swagbucks takes care of 5 of them, plus I already have one gift for DH's mom, then that's just 3.5 gifts to go )

I have planned this pretty carefully though, and I am a huuuuge bargain shopper. I am debating back and forth about buying vs making a play kitchen for DD (I want it to be wood/heirloom quality) so if we make it, her amount will go back down to $80 or so.
smores is offline   Reply With Quote