Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How many gifts?

I budget $100 for each immediate family member, and $40 for extended family. That's a limit, I can go under if I can find a gift that is up to my standards for less, but I can't go over. That 100 has to cover a santa gift, stocking stuffers and a few gifts from DH and I and one from the other sibling. With DD2 only being 8 months this Christmas, I may borrow a bit of her cash to fund her sister's gifts if necessary. I get stuff with points too - already got a hat for DD1 and a plushie for DD2 from Disney points, those will go in their stockings.

Advertisement

Last edited by Computermama; 10-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

We usually do about 5 or so gifts each and include the spouse in gift giving.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

We are trying to decide what we will do for our family. DD is our only so far, and she has only been alive for one Christmas so we haven't had to think about it yet. Since she will get a decent number of gifts from family, I'm thinking maybe 2-3 from DH and I, plus a book/movie, small toy in her stocking.

Has anyone read the Tightwad Gazette? I can't remember what exactly she calls it, but she wrote something about how the enjoyment of gifts decreases as the number of gifts increases. So a kid will be really excited with his first two gifts and want to play with them immediately, but by the time he gets to the 10th and 11th gift he starts thinking "I didn't want the red car, I wanted the blue," or "why didn't I get the movie I wanted?" etc. My parents were really big on giving my brother and I a "good" Christmas, and I really think this is what happened with me when I was a kid. Between all the gifts I got from grandparents and Santa, I started getting greedy that I didn't get one or two of the things I wanted. Everything ended up sitting in a pile in the living room until my mom finally put it away, while I usually only ended up playing with one or two toys. I'm really really hoping to avoid that with DD!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

On Christmas Eve, they each get a pair of PJs and a book from "mom & dad." They are getting 5 things each from "Santa."

I am already done shopping for3 yr old DD, she is getting:

1. Princess Scooter (Purchased on sale over the summer at Target)
2. Ergo for her Dolls (Purchased on Babysteals many months ago)
3. 2 Barbies wrapped together (Purchased on sale at Target over the summer)
4. 2 Leapster games wrapped together (these games are discontinued, got them for less than $10 each of amazon)
5. Tag Jr. & 1 Tag Jr. Book (Bought super cheap in Jan or Feb, it think, with a sale & coupon at Target)

For her stocking:
1. 2 more Tag Jr. Books
2. Dora DVD (used coupon)
3. Charm Bracelet (disney rewards)
4. Toothbrush - battery style (sale + coupon at Target)

I am still working on my 4 yr old son's list, but our 6 yr old gift from Santa are:

1. Bike (our 4 yr old will be getting one as well)
2. Star Wars Ship (he has wanted all year)
3. Batman Trilogy
4. Ballpark Mysteries Book's 1 & 2
5. Ballpark Mysteries Book's 3 & 4

So, they all get the same amount of gifts and close to the same value.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

I do something they want, something they need, pajamas to wear and something to read. Price doesn't factor in. I have spent $10 on one child and $100 on another.