Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

coyotes dangerous?

So this is kinda long and random, but I know there are a lot of rural living/ chicken raising families here.

So we live on 20 acres and have cow pastures to one side with woods/empty fields to the other sides. We have two dogs and ten chickens (cooped, but with a big, fenced and covered yard).

We hear coyotes at night all the time, howls and yips. A few nights ago about four started their howling and yipping literally right outside my window (less than 10 feet away). Around the corner from them is my chicken coop. So I ran out my back door into our fenced yard where I have a clear view of my coop and they weren't by it yet. So I call my dogs and they ran out and barked and the coyotes left. There is a fence between where the dogs and I were and the coyotes. So anyway I felt like it was a victory!

This morning my step-mom calls and lectures me about how stupid and dangerous that was. She said coyotes will hunt/attack humans when they get hungry enough and that I should just have let them get the chickens if thats what they were after! Yes, they are "just chickens" but they are still members of our family!

Obviously coyotes are wild animals and can be dangerous, but what would you all do in that situation? I dont own a weapon so firing off a shot isnt an option.

Dh, who is out of town for a while, suggested I have ds pee on all the trees around the yard.

So

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: coyotes dangerous?

Yes, they will if starved enough. But that's a pretty uncommon thing around here. Normally they're more afraid of you, than you of them. Bobcat pee is touted as effective here. Lots of prickly pear and cholla around the perimeter of the fence. Keep your dogs from them, they'd gladly take one of your dogs too.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes. There have been people attacked by coyotes. I have also heard coyotes will bait dogs and cats if they are desperate enough. Definitely keep an eye on your dogs at night. Best thing to do is make sure your coop is safe from the coyotes and you won't have to go out there. Stay safe, mama.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also, the pee thing is true, apparently! LOL DH and the boys will pee around the perimeter of our close property because we heard it is helpful in keeping all undesirable wildlife away... True or not, saves the boys from running into the house.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They can be, but I have heard more often than not they have to be more than 3 or 4 together. They are fairly skiddish, but be careful. The dogs will keep coyotes at bay, but if it is hungry it can be a danger. Just use your sense, you will know.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Careful, I've heard lots of stories of little dogs being killed by coyotes. They take down calves as well as get chickens here. We haven't had a problem since we got our LGD, but they do talk back and forth sometimes.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have them and it's very rare for them to attack anything bigger like an adult. But small pets and children can be injured, quickly and maliciously.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

So you think they'd hop the fence to get us? Our coop is pretty robust, but I just cant imagine listening/watching through the window as they terrorize the chickens...

I will look into the repelling measures for sure. I guess next time we are outside and ds needs to pee i will bring him around front, too. thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have TONS of coyotes here. And Javalina (I may have spelt that wrong...). We have had issues with Coyotes trying to attack our horses, dogs, whatever. my SIL has a fence about 8 foot in height and they will scale it to get to animals. I have had dogs go missing because of them. We have had one sit on our back porch trying to get in our house. When I had smaller dogs they would stake out my back yard witing to put out my dogs to taunt them. I would never approach a coyote without some kind of protection.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh man! Now I think I will ask my FIL to take the dog door down when he visits in two weeks. I have always hated it (and how much energy it wastes), but now I am scared, too!