View Poll Results: Do you do the circus?
No 50 63.29%
Yes 17 21.52%
Other 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
megenic
Registered Users
seller

No way, no how. Th treatment of animals at circuses is horrifying. The only type we would ever go to is a human only circus.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you do the circus?

No! hate the circus, am horrified by it and even have a hard time at the zoo. I will only go to zoo's with large natural enclosures and even with that I struggle. Last time we went to the zoo, I teared up several times.
milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #23
Shaunam
Registered Users

I voted other. I've been to smaller circuses that are mostly just people doing their tricks, but at the end they brought out a few animals. The animals didn't seem to be treated badly, and in fact their "tricks" were very low key...they weren't the center of the show and I don't think anything would have happened to them if they didn't "perform". Afterward we were allowed to meet the animals and have our picture taken with them.

I often wonder why people are so against circuses though, but continue to eat meat from inhumane sources. Just one of those things that boggles my mind. Seems 95% of people I know who are against circuses just don't even care about how farm animals are treated. It's a huge disconnect.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted other. I don't like the circus, for all the reasons already mentioned in this thread. But DH likes it, and he has taken the boys twice. So, I don't do the circus, but DH does.

For the PP - I also make sure my meat (and other animal products) come from humane sources. We eat local, from a friend's farm .
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
We go to the circus. I have always gotten free tickets through work so it's a cheap family outing for us if we don't buy the overpriced food or toys. If I didn't get free tickets, there's no way we would go. There are tiger, elephant and dog acts, but the rest is people acts. I don't care for the tiger act. I just keep waiting for one of those tigers to finally get fed up and bite the head off the "trainer." I don't consider a dog show to be cruel, though I don't know the behind-the-scenes story. And I don't know enough about elephants to say anything about that.

If we're being totally honest and forgive my heartlessness on this issue....it's not that I don't care about animals, but I'm not even remotely interested in animal rights. I don't follow any animal rights groups, I don't have an interest in owning a pet, and at the end of the day there's just not enough time to look into everything out there. If I'm going to support a 'cause,' it's going to be a cause for humans.
Actually you are more likely to see an Elephant lose it. They are far to smart, have very complex emotions, tight group bonding and the highest chance of snapping from sheer stress. Even if you don't like animals it is very well proven the intelligence and emotions they have. But even if you hate them, when they lose it, people die and get hurt and it isn't always the trainers. Watch a few rampaging elephants at circus videos and you will never let your kid near an elephant with a tiny ankle chain again. I seriously have gone out of my way to avoid them because if they snap, I don't want my kid any where near them.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
At least I'm not insane.

I've gone to one people only show, it was interesting. Difference is a person is dependent upon themselves not others.

I'm not PETA or anything...just think they deserve not to be neglected or abused...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I went this year and I doubt I'll ever go again. The animals look so sad, it's depressing.

That being said, I sure did enjoy my $10 cotton candy and my $10 popcorn that was incredibly over priced but at 7 months pregnant I found it to be rather tasty.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #28
kbjohnsonfam
Registered Users
seller

we just went... free tickets from work.... and I didnt see a sad animal at all. and not a single chain... we talked extensively to the elephant keepers.... i guess I just didnt see the " torture" of the animals....
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't like the circus, or rodeos, or pony rides (where they are tied to a wheel), or really anything similar done just for our entertainment at the expense of the animals. I am ok with zoos, for the most part...only because I feel like they have educational value.

My MIL has wanted to take my kids to the circus and on pony rides, and I'm torn on that...I know DD would enjoy it, but even if I didn't come along I would feel like allowing her to go would be like supporting it. That makes me uncomfortable, kwim?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
NiNi
Registered Users

I went with my goddaughter 3 years ago. The protestors were so mean and nasty. Literally. I mean. Some where just with signs or whatever. But one told her father that he was raising a failure by bringing her here. Yup.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote