View Poll Results: Do you do the circus?
No 50 63.29%
Yes 17 21.52%
Other 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #31
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you do the circus?

Nope we don't do the circus other than the human versions. There is a local "doggie circus" but it isn't a real circus just people and their dogs having fun and I have no issue with taking the kids to watch, proceeds go to the humane society.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #32
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
Actually you are more likely to see an Elephant lose it. They are far to smart, have very complex emotions, tight group bonding and the highest chance of snapping from sheer stress. Even if you don't like animals it is very well proven the intelligence and emotions they have. But even if you hate them, when they lose it, people die and get hurt and it isn't always the trainers. Watch a few rampaging elephants at circus videos and you will never let your kid near an elephant with a tiny ankle chain again. I seriously have gone out of my way to avoid them because if they snap, I don't want my kid any where near them.
I was surfing You Tube showing my son some of the animals he was learning about and accidently stumbled on one of those rampaging videos. I had what some on here would call my "terrible" parenting moment since I lied to ds and said "oh look the elephant is trumpeting and stomping because he is playing" and promptly turned it off. That particular rampage video took place during a parade in India. I no longer surf You Tube with DS unless I am certain what the video contains.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #33
Mack
Registered Users
seller

We have a good friend who works for Barnum and Bailey. He is the biggest animal lover you will ever meet. Those animals are like children to their trainers. Of course there are a few bad apples. You will find these in any industry and it all walks of life.

I have been behind the scenes. I think it's pretty cool to expose children and people of all ages to the awesomeness of these creatures. In addition Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey have made many preservation efforts of many types of animals.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #34
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

other, we have gone to some of the smaller circuses with very few animals. We also have done Cirque du soleil. Otherwise, no not a big fan.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I put other because I'm kind of on the fence right now. My oldest child has been when he was tiny. TBH, I've never really thought that much of the way the animals have been treated, so it hasn't been an issue for me. My issue is that we are a modest family and last time we went some of the tightrope walkers and trapeeze girls were nearing naked. Why? It's a children's show. There's no need for that.
yes! the last time we did go the girls were wearing thongs!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #36
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
My issue is that we are a modest family and last time we went some of the tightrope walkers and trapeeze girls were nearing naked. Why? It's a children's show. There's no need for that.
^This!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #37
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no problem with it although I'm not going to go out of my way to go, if when she's older she asks to go or if some of our friends with littles want to go we will. I will be taking dd to the rodeo every year though, that's something I don't miss and I want to share it with her. (I'm assuming that the people who are against the circus are also against the rodeo)

Personally I'd rather go to cirque du soliel vs the reg circus!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #38
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went once several years ago and against my better judgement. After that I swore we would never go again. My kids know I think it is wrong and they do not feel bad about not going.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #39
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #40
NaplesMom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Nope - no circus or marineland for our family. the only place we go to where animals are the entertainment are zoos. Even then, we only go to zoos that have large, natural enclosures for the animals and who are dedicated to research and breeding programs that help endangered animals I try to teach my children that animals deserve our respect and protection, and I find actions speak WAY louder than words.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
^^
this exactly.