View Poll Results: Do you do the circus?
No 50 63.29%
Yes 17 21.52%
Other 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #41
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you do the circus?

I voted other. We have never been, but more because I am opposed to overpriced show crap (so, we haven't ever been to Disney on Ice or any of that either) and not because I am opposed to the circus.

And, I sure as heck am not going to judge every single circus based on a few bad examples.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #42
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I voted other. We have never been, but more because I am opposed to overpriced show crap (so, we haven't ever been to Disney on Ice or any of that either) and not because I am opposed to the circus.

And, I sure as heck am not going to judge every single circus based on a few bad examples.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #43
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I just have to say that I used to do circus arts as well as trick-riding (horse back), and I knew several people who performed in the circus. Most circuses today are based on human performers, with comparatively few animal performers. Of course there are probably some circuses that treat animals poorly, but if you have an animal that is performing, such as a horse, dog or an elephant, those animals are intelligent and sensitive. They will not perform well if they are being mistreated. The horses I rode and performed with were well fed, well-groomed and given lots of time off. If they decided they didn't like me they would just stop in the middle of the ring and not budge--if I or anyone tried to mistreat them I would have been knocked onto my butt pretty fast. Apart from the fact that most people who work with these animals actually care about them, we also don't want them to injure us. Hurting an animal is a great way to ensure they eventually hurt you. So it's just smarter to treat them well.

And there are regulations limiting how many hours the animals can "work," how many days off they must have, and inspectors can demand vet records for any animal performing in a show. Again, there are always bad apples, just like there are always going to be bad pet owners, but someone is much more likely to be caught if they treat an animal performer poorly compared to if they treat a pet poorly. If you don't feed your pet horse enough, no one might know, but if you don't feed your performing horse enough there are thousands of people who are going to see and potentially report it.

Would I take my kids to the circus? Yup! And if I saw an animal behaving as if it were distressed or ill I would report it.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #44
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

i went to a small circus once as a child and loved it but dd is too small to take to anything like that yet. i dont think there is as much animal abuse going on as everyone seems to think.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #45
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I go back and forth. I want instill the awe of nature and all life in our children, who live in an urban/suburban neighborhood with little opportunity for witnessing it in the natural habitat. But I also want to make sure that all life is treated with respect. I am not opposed to loving pet ownership, so I have no real reason to be opposed to responsible zoos...they are going out of their way to provide the best habitat they can while most pet owners do not. On the other hand, circus animals have to train and perform and are not given a well designed habitat, so I am not as willing to support it, but I am not entirely opposed to it, just as I am not entirely opposed to dog shows (which is basically an exact comparison). If I know the pet owners or trainers have a loving relationship, I just can't be up in arms about it.

ETA: We have talked about going to a Cirque Shanghai show with the kids this year. Human circuses are a great alternative.

Last edited by harmoni247; 10-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #46
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a kid, we went every year for easter. But, I am too cheap. For the price of tickets, I'd rather get a membership to a museum.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I just have to say that I used to do circus arts as well as trick-riding (horse back), and I knew several people who performed in the circus. Most circuses today are based on human performers, with comparatively few animal performers. Of course there are probably some circuses that treat animals poorly, but if you have an animal that is performing, such as a horse, dog or an elephant, those animals are intelligent and sensitive. They will not perform well if they are being mistreated. The horses I rode and performed with were well fed, well-groomed and given lots of time off. If they decided they didn't like me they would just stop in the middle of the ring and not budge--if I or anyone tried to mistreat them I would have been knocked onto my butt pretty fast. Apart from the fact that most people who work with these animals actually care about them, we also don't want them to injure us. Hurting an animal is a great way to ensure they eventually hurt you. So it's just smarter to treat them well.

And there are regulations limiting how many hours the animals can "work," how many days off they must have, and inspectors can demand vet records for any animal performing in a show. Again, there are always bad apples, just like there are always going to be bad pet owners, but someone is much more likely to be caught if they treat an animal performer poorly compared to if they treat a pet poorly. If you don't feed your pet horse enough, no one might know, but if you don't feed your performing horse enough there are thousands of people who are going to see and potentially report it.

Would I take my kids to the circus? Yup! And if I saw an animal behaving as if it were distressed or ill I would report it.
This is interesting, thank you for posting I honestly didn't have any idea when I was little about the mis-treatment and heard about it in limited info as an adult. I did not realize that the circus was still around, how bad is that?? I remember going a couple of times as a child, but I just never liked it. My children have never been to one yet. We're more Disney people.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #48
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only reason we haven't been yet is that we don't think our eldest would stay still and enjoy the show.

I also think the reports of abuse are greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. It seems a very poor business strategy to mistreat such an expensive investment (exotic animals aren't exactly being given away free by the litter) and to scoff at all the rules and regulations the circus is under. I'm sure the elephants and wild cats and ponies are being treated well in general.

I look forward to taking my children to both the circus and Marineland one day.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #49
MyLovely
Registered Users

IMO, it doesn't matter if the animals aren't being beaten or prodded. They are removed from their natural habitat and forced to perform. I don't care how much that elephant "loves" it's trainer, it deserves to be with it's herd in a protected area (safe from poachers), be that in nature or in a large preserve at a research zoo.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #50
momtoGcubed
Registered Users
Formerly: momtoGsquared
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't believe how easily the mistreatment of animals is brushed aside in this thread. But heaven forbid you feed a kid a grape in the grocery store, that's something to get up in arms about.
momtoGcubed is offline   Reply With Quote