Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can baby's position keep you from going into labor?

I think it can vary depending on each momma and baby, but yeah, I do think that a positional issue can keep labor from fully kicking in. If you've got a posterior baby, it may be keeping baby's head from engaging the pelvis properly and putting correctly placed pressure on your cervix. Body wants to go into labor but isnt getting that last little nudge of extra pressure that would help labor progress. All moms and babies are different and maybe thats just the way things are unfolding for you. I had looooots of prodromal labor with my 3rd who was posterior. When labor finally did happen, it was because he'd fully engaged in the posterior position. He was so far down (and big) he couldnt rotate.

I'd take it as a great sign that you can still work on position and spend a lot of time on the yoga ball, hands and knees and doing stairs.

Advertisement

calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleiah View Post
I think it can vary depending on each momma and baby, but yeah, I do think that a positional issue can keep labor from fully kicking in. If you've got a posterior baby, it may be keeping baby's head from engaging the pelvis properly and putting correctly placed pressure on your cervix. Body wants to go into labor but isnt getting that last little nudge of extra pressure that would help labor progress. All moms and babies are different and maybe thats just the way things are unfolding for you. I had looooots of prodromal labor with my 3rd who was posterior. When labor finally did happen, it was because he'd fully engaged in the posterior position. He was so far down (and big) he couldnt rotate.

I'd take it as a great sign that you can still work on position and spend a lot of time on the yoga ball, hands and knees and doing stairs.
I do think he's posterior and have thought that for quite a while, since like 36wks. Unfortunately, hands and knees and over the ball is pretty uncomfortable for me. Because of that, I didn't do a lot of it when I should have. If I'd known it would hinder me going into labor, I definitely would have sucked it up sooner. Even last night though, it was hurting my upper back to lay over the ball. I did it anyway because now I'm desperate to get moving.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My babies were both posterior. This one will likely be too. Trust me, they still came!!! And holy mother.. Did it hurt. Lol!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs
Yes, I really do think poor positioning can keep labor from going full-swing. Sit on a birth ball or do some movements to get baby into the right position. Good luck!
Yes. My last was posterior and I do Think that's why I had 5 days of prodromal/labor. I spent all 5 days hands and knees rocking during contractions trying to turn her. I think she turned in the middle of the night about 18ish hours before she was born.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
Yes, positioning can cause prodromal labor,or ineffective labor. Especially in moms who have had lots of babies. My guess is that baby's head is not putting good solid pressure on your cervix, so you are having lots of contractions without dilation. I'm guessing since I haven't seen you, that since you have had multiple sets of twins that baby has too much room and is hanging out parallel the floor with its head pointing to your back rather than up and down, more perpendicular and head putting pressure down into your pelvic girdle.

If this is the case, the next time you have a good bout of contractions, I would use a belly binder or a long sling wrap to wrap your belly up snugly and keep baby more upright so you can make some progress.
I agree with this.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Just to add my two cents...

W/DS I had a week (or so - maybe 2?) of prodromal labor, and labor started and stopped once.

When he was finally born, he had his hands over his face, and came out wring-side-up. I really think sometimes our bodies try to move baby into a more ideal birthing position.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
My babies were both posterior. This one will likely be too. Trust me, they still came!!! And holy mother.. Did it hurt. Lol!!!!
I have no doubt that he will come out, but I really think I would be in labor by now if he was positioned better. Clearly, my body is ready, but something is holding it back. I'd rather it just go as these contractions hurt and I'm teetering on the edge of being pushed to induce due to high BP.

Thanks Ladies! Keep the advice and experiences coming. It's inspiring me to work on positioning to turn him even though I don't like positioning and I like slouching on the couch.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-09-2012 at 09:08 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

A lot of people go thru false labor though. I'm sure for a variety of reasons, positioning might be one, but it can't be the only factor since some babies aren't even in position until labor actually starts. Can your midwife do an exam???
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Haven't read all the replies but wanted to share my experience with ydd. She was in a position which somehow prevented progression. Anytime I would sit or lay down labor would stop. We would get her turned and she would turn right back around. She was finally born sunny side up with lots of hands on help.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I can tell you that none of my 3 girls were sunny side up, despite all the long labors and false starts. And that with my last 2, neither engaged until labor was already started. With Dani Lee, despite having contractions for weeks, measurable on the NST I did before the induction, she was not even in position until about 3 hours before she popped out.

With baby CJ here, when I was just in for my most recent appointment, he's really low, but he's not engaged yet and when she went to listen, she could feel his head and still push on it and I could feel him kinda "bounce" a bit if that makes sense. Like she pushed up a bit on the top of his head and I felt him move up in response.

I just think my body takes a LONG time to get ready...and then suddenly "fires the cannon" so to speak. Lots of prodromal labor, long long actual labor, then I hit about 7 or 8 cm and transition and babies just FLY out lol
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote