Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can baby's position keep you from going into labor?

Yes, the position can make a labor stall or a baby to not be born since not all positions a baby can come out (transverse being one). With ds2 I couldn't get into transition because his shoulder was at the cervix instead of his head. That was keeping me from progressing. What I did was put my head and shoulders on the floor and my butt in the air to help him reposition himself. Within the next contraction I was in transition and he was born shortly after words. That's one trick. However, babies are born in OP all the time, but OP can make labor longer and more painful.

You could be in prodomal labor. That is the days/weeks leading up to labor that feel like the real thing. I had that with ds2 as well for 8 days prior to giving birth.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It can definitely affect the speed and ease of labor. It won't stop it unless its transverse, but there is optimal positioning of baby. I suggest doing some belly mapping before taking any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can baby's position keep you from going into labor? **update**

bump for somewhat related update.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

With DD#1 I had no prelabor signs. Water broke at 41w4d, contractions began within 15 mins., labor wound up taking 31 hrs., including 10-12 hours at 7-8 cm. Baby wouldn't descend and we wound up transferring so I could get an epidural and a nap. I think I know when she moved (it was right before the transfer), so I think her position was wonky for most of my labor, and is prolly why she was overdue.

DD#2, otoh, was born at 36w6d and was breech. But I did have some prelabor signs and she was engaged (albeit with her behind and not her head!). But she may have known she needed to be born because as she came out they discovered a partial placental abruption. So that could be the reason she came early. We'll never know. But her position did not cause her to be overdue, obviously.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can baby's position keep you from going into labor? **update**

You've gotten some good advice. ALso it might help to check out the spinning babies site, as that can help you visualize what position the baby is in. For optimal positioning (anterior facing the right hip, for most women), you should feel feet/legs on your right side or kicking towards your back, and the back kind of swooping across the front or along your left side, and finger/hands either down near the cervix or towards your back.
If you feel hands in front, or feet/legs poking out the front...that's probably indicating that the baby is posterior and you might benefit from some positioning exercises.
That said, at some point labor will probably kick in no matter the position, but labor will probably start sooner and be more efficient if baby's position is optimal. (and optimal positioning depends a lot on mom's anatomy. Anterior is optimal for most women).