Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are you and you DH/SO completely different?

DH and I have the same basic outlook on life. We are both very goal oriented and driven people. We have the same parenting and marriage philosophies (probably because we got married so young and developed those philosophies together). We have very similar political views. We have a very similar sense of humor and we enjoy many of the same activities. We're both incredibly sarcastic. We both value higher education, love stimulating conversation and we both love to sleep.

We differ in that DH is an introvert and I'm an extrovert. That's about it, though. Otherwise we are pretty much the same. It works really well for us.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737
DH and I have the same basic outlook on life. We are both very goal oriented and driven people. We have the same parenting and marriage philosophies (probably because we got married so young and developed those philosophies together). We have very similar political views. We have a very similar sense of humor and we enjoy many of the same activities. We're both incredibly sarcastic. We both value higher education, love stimulating conversation and we both love to sleep.

We differ in that DH is an introvert and I'm an extrovert. That's about it, though. Otherwise we are pretty much the same. It works really well for us.
LOL you sound just like my wife and for the most part this explains us.

We have difference in music/art taste but for the most part we definitely don't like to conform or have any sort of rigid views in life.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
cbreeding
Registered Users

My DH and I have the important things (to us) in common - values, parenting styles, respect, etc. We do like some of the same activities, especially ones we like a lot - like being outdoors, bike riding, and reading, but we do have a lot of differences. For example, he loves gaming on the computer and I love to knit/crochet/quilt. We tend to be in the same room doing our own thing after the kids go to bed. So although we are doing different things, we are together.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. We have the same religious beliefs, political views, parenting views, and so on. We share some hobbies but also have hobbies that we dont' share.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
justsamma
Registered Users
seller

Our religious views could not be more different.
Our upbringing was COMPLETELY different.
Most hot button topics we dont agree on.
We dont like the same music either. haha
luckily for me, she agrees completely with my "crunchy" side & trusts me on topics the less mainstream parenting topics.
justsamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
My husband and I had radically different religious views when we met and married. I was non-religious and he was Muslim. I became a Christian early in the marriage and for a few years, he was an even more devout Muslim. Then he became agnostic which is how he identifies himself now, and I'm a full blown atheist. We are very similar politically & we agree on parenting style 95%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates
Our biggest difference is he is very shy and i am pretty outgoing, but i think that makes a nice balance.
My husband is not really shy, but he does sit back and observe while I am very outgoing. Many people regard him as a snob which is the furthest thing from the truth. We do not have ANY couple friends. This really bothers me and I would say is the downside to our relationship, very unlike the post I quoted. He goes out with his friends a couple of times a year, I go out with my friends a couple of times a month, then we go out alone.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #37
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have the same political leanings, but I would say I'm a bit more invested ("let's go to this protest!" "No, don't put the baby in a disposable!" "Whose turn is it to fork the compost?")

He likes everything clean and tidy all the time. I couldn't care less, apart from a base level of hygiene.

He likes relaxing at home, whereas I associate being at home with being too depressed to go outside.

He has never been depressed. I get suicidal.

He LOVES watching sports. I HATE watching sports. If there is to be any sports watching, there must bean equal amount of fun family time, plus a massage for me!

Last edited by jam's mum; 10-08-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #38
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post

I honestly think DH and I have drifted further apart in our thoughts/beliefs as we've gotten older. However, like the pp mentioned, we have the same basic outlook on life. We agree on money, our future, raising our children and our religion. DH grew up on the farm and has a wonderful work ethic, however he is very laid-back and never in a hurry for anything (he brought me to my surprise bday party that HE planned 30 minutes late!). I, on the other hand, am a planner, like to have my days scheduled and a routine in place and can't stand to be late. We don't have a lot of similar interests besides some music, and our love for the outdoors and vintage/old things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
We are very different in personality and yet very similar in views. He's a hard-working boy scout type, cleans up by habit, follows the rules. I am a procrastinator, messy by nature, full of ideas and hedonistic. We get along great and we work around the areas where our personalities chafe.

I actually got a card for DH once that summed it up perfectly:

Some people are "Do-ers" and do things all day. They're happy when everthything's done the right way.
Some people are "Be-ers" and look, feel, and listen. They're at their best watching spiderwebs glisten.
Now, Do-ers might say "Nothing's getting done!" While Be-ers reply "What about having fun?"
But guess what? It is true: when they find each other it's...

Do-Be-Do-Be-Do!
I love this!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #39
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Completely different. He's an extreme extrovert; I'm an extreme introvert. He is much more materialistic than I am. He is detail oriented, and always pays his bills as soon as his paycheck hits the bank; I let a lot of details slip through the cracks. He loves the outdoors and hunting; I side with Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory ("if the outdoors was so great, then why has mankind spent so many years perfecting the indoors?").

We generally have the same political and religious outlook. And we're both madly in love with the kids, so we have parenting differences sometimes but we're able to work it out.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #40
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH and I are complete opposites. People don't understand why we're together. I'm totally in agreement with Leiiki though. I'm a do-er and he's a be-er.

I care for politics, education, family values, hard work, saving for the future, planning carefully, etc., etc.

DH is a free spirit. He's happy with just getting by in school, would rather have someone plan his life out for him, and prefers to live in the moment.

We bicker here and there on topics like finances, but underneath it all, we agree on lots of things and are compatible. I think it's mostly because he's come around to my way of thinking, though.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote