Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Freezable Breakfast Recipes?

Ditto on the question if you have a countertop toaster oven? That would be perfect for reheating the breakfast sandwiches, I would think. If using oven, wrap them in foil and reheat low and slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Do you use bananas in the smoothies? Ours are always banana, frozen strawberries and milk. Freezing in cubes is genius. DD can't have dairy so we have to make hers separate and a whole banana is way too much for her serving size and the left over half is too small for mine. Making the whole batch and freezing would be great.

op do you have a toaster oven? That would work well for heating a sandwich.
I do use bananas in my smoothies. Then throw in any combo of peaches, strawberries, pineapple, yogurt, etc. There are 6 of us so I throw in at least 2 bananas. Money Saving Mom has a recipe of a Oatmeal Peanut Butter Banana smoothie that I'm wanting to try, but have to wait until my Bosch gets fixed.

Advertisement

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
kanga1622
Registered Users

DS loves when I make a large batch of waffles and freeze them. Homemade toaster waffles. They are best within 6 weeks so they don't last too long in the freezer. You can add Italian seasonings to some to make them more savory. We don't even use syrup; just peanut butter or plain.

What about mini quiches or breakfast burritos? Pancakes would be easy to freeze as well and just toss in the toaster to reheat. Banana muffins are always a hit here. I go pretty heavy on the banana so they are pretty good as a source of fruit.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
kanga1622
Registered Users

We made these for lunch today and they were yummy and easy. We only put leftover pork roast and cheddar cheese in them today but they would be a great way to use up peppers, ham, any cheese, tomatoes, etc. Really anything you'd put in an omelet can go in these.

Mini quiches (made 12)

Ingredients

8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup 1% milk

Preparation

Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray (see Tip).
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.
Tips & Notes

Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
A good-quality nonstick muffin tin works best for this recipe. If you don't have one, line a regular muffin tin with foil baking cups.
Nutrition

Per quiche: 90 calories; 5 g fat ( 2 g sat , 1 g mono ); 105 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 108 mg potassium.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
jkdustin
Registered Users
seller

Re: Freezable Breakfast Recipes?

Breakfast burritos are great. Here is the recipe I use. I think I found it on pinterest
Breakfast Burritos Freezer Meal
21 eggs+a splash of milk +s&p + 1 cup spinach
18 slices of bacon fully cooked and cooled
about 8 cups of hashbrowns
shredded cheese
20 burrito sized flour tortillas

First I started by prepping all the ingredients:
scrambling the eggs and spinach (the spinach is totally optional, but you cant taste it, and it just adds a litte more nutrition)
cooking the bacon (I did it in the oven)
frying the hashbrowms in a little butter
and shredding the cheese (I used a food prosessor)

Then, after everything had cooled, I set up my assembly line and started rolling!
In each burrito I used about
1/2 cup eggs
1/4 cup hashbrowns
2 TBS bacon
sprinlke of cheese.

After all the burritos were rolled, I wrapped them tightly in plastic wrap, and put them in gallon freezer bags.
I ended up with almost 20 burritos
To reheat, unwrap, and microwave for about 2-3 minutes.
they are wonderful to have on hand, and I think we figured they cost around .80 cents per burrito, but they are HUGE compared to mcdonalds $1 burritos! And, I know exactly what is in them, so to me, they are totally worth the time!
jkdustin is offline   Reply With Quote