Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Re: I need help asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
It's about privacy though? There is an argument about it if its professional but definitely not illegal. Some just don't want spam and other unsolicited contact.
Okay I went and double checked. I was wrong. It is *frowned upon* but ICANN won't take the domain from you for Whoisguard, even if you're a business. They *may* take it away (if they find out, first) a domain for putting false information into it (123 Main St. instead of 4595 Real Street Address, for example).

Advertisement

themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I thought I may have missed something but good to know; I guess it used to be popular to use private companies to anonymize for say $9 a year. My one site is done this way which I guess for personal websites it's not exactly frowned upon but for business it does lose its credibility if a potential customer is trying to find out information of a particular store.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
I thought I may have missed something but good to know; I guess it used to be popular to use private companies to anonymize for say $9 a year. My one site is done this way which I guess for personal websites it's not exactly frowned upon but for business it does lose its credibility if a potential customer is trying to find out information of a particular store.

Exactly!

I pay $5 a year for 5 domains to have whoisguard in a package, so about $10 a year. (Between us, my husband and I run somewhere around 12 domains.) They're all considered "personal" though.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For what it is worth, I did find an address on whois for that website. What bothers me though, is that it is a different address to another one I found on a FAQ page of the website itself.

Mmmm... let's see where this goes. I hope the BBB phones me back as they had 3 years ago when I reported a business.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack
I am a member of a website for which there is no address or telephone number listed. They do not allow any phone contact, it seems, (they used to) and their online service has declined from what it used to be.

If it is okay, I will name this site (if a moderator can weigh in here it would be great). It is a very well known site (in their field) with thousands of members.

Since I don't know if it is okay, I will just say what bugs me.

On this site you can draw up maps and then print them. It is not like googlemaps where you ask for directions from two points. You go into the map and hand draw a route that you like. It will print out the map, break the map up in different pieces and give very good cue notes.

Lately, I cannot get it printed in the detailed way I explained above. I keep trying to and it keeps just giving me the overview of the map without any cue notes. I have contacted them via e-mail, no response unless I ask about how to go about upgrading my membership! So, they do get my mails, I just don't get feedback on my problem. I have posted my concerns on their facebook page only to get generic answers that do not address the problem at all. It is something like: Sorry you have trouble. We have fixed the problems, please try to print your maps again!

I specifically asked if their is someone I can contact on the phone or per e-mail so that I can have more specific feedback. No-one addressed that request.

BBB wants an address in order to fail a complaint. Like their number, I can't find an address.

So, here is my request:
1) How can I find out the physical address and telephone number behind a company like that if I need to. Surely it must be listed SOMEWHERE.
2) Does anyone know of a mapping program like the one I mentioned that works well.

Thanks in advance!
Are you using a free service or are you a paid member? If you're using a free version You seem to be making an awfully big stink over nothing. If you have paid for the service You should be able to get contact information for the company From the credit card company that you paid with.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No of course I'm paying for this service. Why would I need to involve the BBB if it is a free service?