Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Teach me about cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
We are considering getting a cat, but we need to do our homework first. It's been a long time since I owned one.

Litter? What's the best kind? I've heard that clay isn't the best. What are the other options, sawdust, wheat, recycled newspaper? Cost? Should we have two litterboxes, we have a large home. I use Fresh Step. It's what I like the best because it clumps really good keeps things smelling fresh. I scoop every day and only have to change out the entire litter box once a month

Does anyone have an automated scooping litterbox? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"] I don't- but I'd be afraid to spend the money on it and have it break
[/COLOR]
Do cats need cat friends? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"] Depends on the cat. I think if the cat is going to be home alone most of the time, he may appreciate a cat friend for company[/COLOR]

What's the best food? I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild, I'm very conscious of finding appropriate, high-protein, grain-free, all-natural options regardless of cost. What are the costs, and how long does a bag last? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"] I feed my cat Blue Buffalo dry cat food. A regular sized bag lasts us about a month- so about $18 a month. I noticed when I used cheap cat food the litter box would stink, he shed a ton and he'd get tons of hairballs :/ [/COLOR]

If we get one from a friend, he will be aindoor, front-declawed cat. What toys/scratching posts are good? [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"] My cat is the same- indoor/front declawed. He still likes to "scratch" things. I bought a cheapy scratching post. He also loves those cardboard cat scratching post things. If you adopt an older cat, you won't need as many toys. My cat's favorite past time is sitting in a windowsill and watching the kids walk to and from school. Oh...and sleep 22 hours a day [/COLOR]

Any other advice?
I answered in blue

Advertisement

Last edited by Wanderlust; 10-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

After reading more about the cat food, we are going to go ahead and switch to Blue Buffalo since they just started carrying it...thats what we feed our American Bulldog as well.

I had an automatic litter box a few years back and it malfunctioned during the first couple of weeks....WHILE WE WERE ON HOLIDAY!! What a waste of $100 and such a mess to clean up. It would not stop raking back and forth, therefore my cat couldn't get in to use the litter box. Of course he had to relieve himself elsewhere and that was no fun to clean. I'll never waste money on one a again. I just scoop our litter box 1-2x a day.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My aunt is "THE cat lady" and she has an automated litter box and the thing is gross, it is SOOOO loud, and it gets litter and cat poop on the floor. I don't recommend them.

For food, I don't do any specific brand, just whatever I happen to pick up at the store. There are certain ones I avoid b/c they make my cat's poop WORSE (as if stinkIER cat poop is possible... IT IS!) . I don't buy cat food from Aldi's, or buy the Wal Mart brand. She is ok with Publix brand. If I go somewhere else, I'll buy cheap name brand, but not store brand. Seems worse for her gut for some reason. She also eats my dog's food when she can get to it. And I give her scraps sometimes (like fat from the chicken or beef, etc.)

Litter, I usually use Fresh Step or Arm and Hammer. I prefer Arm and Hammer. I add baking soda too sometimes when it gets stinky/musty.

We only have one cat and she only has one litter box. I clean it every morning, and sometimes in the evening if I notice it got dirty throughout the day.

Cats are mostly lazy (well I guess unless you get a kitten). Ours likes to plop up on our lap and have us pet her.

I don't think you absolutely NEED a scratching post if the cat is declawed. They can "scratch" anything since they won't ruin it anyway. I could be wrong but I've never actually seen a cat scratching with its back claws.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

I have to say we just switched to feline pine after ten years of using clay litter and I like pine much better. To me it smells cleaner, is easier to clean and is less expensive. You can also use horse pellet bedding as litter (google Woody pet). That's even cheaper.

We feed grain free food. My cat likes Dave's brand for wet, Holistic pet and Natural balance for dry. We get it all at a local feed and grain.

My remaining cat is the last of three we had. He was my first, and we added two playmate about a year after we got him but sadly they both passed last year and only he remains. He's very social and did love his feline brother and sister, but he's adjusting. Now he play with the chihuahua and sleeps with me at night.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
After reading more about the cat food, we are going to go ahead and switch to Blue Buffalo since they just started carrying it...thats what we feed our American Bulldog as well.

I had an automatic litter box a few years back and it malfunctioned during the first couple of weeks....WHILE WE WERE ON HOLIDAY!! What a waste of $100 and such a mess to clean up. It would not stop raking back and forth, therefore my cat couldn't get in to use the litter box. Of course he had to relieve himself elsewhere and that was no fun to clean. I'll never waste money on one a again. I just scoop our litter box 1-2x a day.
I don't know why I found this so funny but I can just imagine how offended your cat was by the defective litter box! He would not have been impressed!

A agree with pp's that said not to cheap out on litter. I've tried the cheap stuff and it just stinks. I like the clumping stuff.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 4 cats and one of them throws up daily. I am feeding them Kitten Chow (none are kittens anymore) because that seems to be the one she throws up least but I know they need adult food. What are some good options that I can find at local stores? Like WalMart or a grocery store that may be easier on their stomachs? Would appreciate any help

I use Cats Pride litter for multi-cats and it works well. No smell really which is nice. We have 4 boxes, one for each cat. I get the one in the green container with the purple lid. Don't get the white ones, the smell was horrid until we switched.

As for friends I think mine would go mad if they were alone. They play together all the time. I just wish they'd sleep when we do. It's not uncommon to hear a 4 cat relay race at 1AM. I could do without that

Last edited by PailPowder; 10-10-2012 at 09:16 PM.
PailPowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorocketship View Post
I use World's Best Cat Littler clumping formula and I feed Orijen cat and kitten. On the food, hair balls are nonexistent and it has low/no grains and very high real meat content. I spend about 45 dollars on a bag of food that lasts a little over 2 months. The litter is flushable so you don't have to have a bucket for old litter, you can just get rid of it. It also holds odors better than any other natural litter I've tried. It has minimal dust and what does exist is harmless to animals and people. It costs about 20 dollars for a bag that lasts me about two months give or take a week.
We're on septic tanks, so I probably wouldn't flush it anyway, but would you think it's also compostable? The closest pet store to me is a holistic pet store, and I know they highly recommend the Orijen.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post

I found this hilarious too! Sorry!! I just imagine, what if you had to sit on a toilet that wouldn't stop flushing!

Thanks for all the responses. Growing up we had a cat and we scooped the litter once a week, and changed it completely almost never. I look back and wonder how we lived with that, and how int he world did that cat not get grossed out and start peeing other places in the house!?

I'll probably stick with one of the grain-free natural foods that have been mentioned. We already spend so much on dog food that the few extra bucks to upgrade the cat chow will barely dent the pet budget.

My ODD is almost 4, and very sweet and responsible. She's been asking for a cat for a long time, and DH and I keep gettin closer to giving in. Even though I know I'll be the responsible party, she's always the one asking to feed/water the dogs, go out and play with them, asking to brush them, she even sings songs about how to care for animals and instruct YDD how to be gentle, not pull tails, etc. I'm sure she'll be thrilled and will be a good friend to the cat, so I'm not certain we'll need a second cat for him to play with. He probably won't be left alone often for very long.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote