Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ebay & lost packages

I sold some diapers on eBay and shipped two weeks ago from Oregon to Ohio. The last update from the delivery confirmation was that it was "enroute" and in Washington (there's a big central sorting location there).

That was the 29th and no updates yet. The estimated delivery date is Oct 11th, so it's not "late" yet, but DANG that seems like a long time.

If it is lost, what do I do? I assume I take the loss and refund the buyer? But is there any recourse for me with USPS? Can I file a missing /lost package claim with them?

What do I do?

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ebay & lost packages

If u insured package I think u can get some from usps. Wait. I know how not getting tons of updates but if confirmation it should b fine. Maybe a little slow with no mail today ( Monday oct 8).
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The usps doesn't always update at every stop. If estimated time of delivery is on the 11th, then don't sweat! There's still plenty of time. You have a tracking number so you are at least able to prove that you shipped it.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone know what eBay or paypal usually does in these cases? I provided a working dc number that trailed off in WA, package was not delivered in today's mail. Am I supposed to track it down? Or wait more? Or what? Help!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
expaik
Registered Users
seller

There are a number of possibilities.

1) Your item could very well have been delivered by now. As an eBay seller, I had the same thing happen. "Enroute" was the last update, then nothing for 3 weeks. I finally contacted the buyer. He told me the item had been delivered a few days after the last update. Whew.

So I wouldn't say anything to the buyer. Wait until he/she contacts you asking where the item is. If it was indeed delivered but DC isn't showing it, you don't want to risk a dishonest buyer taking advantage of the situation.

2) The item could be making its way but very slowly. It could have been misrouted and gone to the opposite end of the country, or be looping around a few times before getting properly routed. People here will tell you: it's been known to happen a LOT.

If in fact the item is lost (or the buyer claims such), you are responsible for fully refunding, both under paypal and Ebay rules. USPS will not pay out anything if you didn't insure. HOWEVER... you may be able to get at least your shipping refunded from USPS. This is a matter I've dealt with many times. Take in proof of non-delivery to your local PO, and it's up to their discretion as to whether they'll refund you. Don't try to get your refund through either paypal or eBay, even if you paid shipping through them. They won't take responsibility, since it's the PO's fault. And don't call the 1-800 USPS number - they will tell you to go to your local PO if you want a postage refund.

Hope the item turns up! I know exactly what you're going through..
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by expaik
There are a number of possibilities.

1) Your item could very well have been delivered by now. As an eBay seller, I had the same thing happen. "Enroute" was the last update, then nothing for 3 weeks. I finally contacted the buyer. He told me the item had been delivered a few days after the last update. Whew.

So I wouldn't say anything to the buyer. Wait until he/she contacts you asking where the item is. If it was indeed delivered but DC isn't showing it, you don't want to risk a dishonest buyer taking advantage of the situation.

2) The item could be making its way but very slowly. It could have been misrouted and gone to the opposite end of the country, or be looping around a few times before getting properly routed. People here will tell you: it's been known to happen a LOT.

If in fact the item is lost (or the buyer claims such), you are responsible for fully refunding, both under paypal and Ebay rules. USPS will not pay out anything if you didn't insure. HOWEVER... you may be able to get at least your shipping refunded from USPS. This is a matter I've dealt with many times. Take in proof of non-delivery to your local PO, and it's up to their discretion as to whether they'll refund you. Don't try to get your refund through either paypal or eBay, even if you paid shipping through them. They won't take responsibility, since it's the PO's fault. And don't call the 1-800 USPS number - they will tell you to go to your local PO if you want a postage refund.

Hope the item turns up! I know exactly what you're going through..
Yeah, it was one of the rare packages that I walked myself to buy postage from the machine, kept the reciept long enough to input dc #, and then it disappeared with all my other receipts and lost socks. ::

and I totally already told the buyer. :-/ I've been messaging her like crazy and she's ignoring me so far after one brief response a week ago.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
expaik
Registered Users
seller

That's too bad. Hopefully her not responding means that it might have arrived. I'd stop messaging her and wait until she brings it up.

Also, if you end up having to refund, make sure you also cancel the eBay transaction afterwards. Then you'll get all your eBay fees back.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote