Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Help me get use to my hard water issues....

Trying to adjust my wash routine to accomodate our very hard water. We have had several ammonia issues and general stink issues.

Today I washed all of my inserts with about 1 tbs of BacOut and 2 tbs of Eco Sprouts and then 1/3 cup of bleach in the wash cycle. I didn't use any Dawn because I didn't think I needed to strip the diapers, I just thought I needed to sanitize them.

My questions are: does that sound like it should get rid of the ammonia problem? or do you think I should have used dawn? Also, do I have to wash my covers (BGs 4.0s and Charlie Banana's) the same way (w bleach) or can I just wash them the normal way?

Thanks!

Advertisement

jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I found more detergent worked better for hard water vs less. I used 4 tbs of Eco sprout. Rinse on warm or hot.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me get use to my hard water issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post
I found more detergent worked better for hard water vs less. I used 4 tbs of Eco sprout. Rinse on warm or hot.

Hmm. Ok. I will try more. Is the bleach necessary or just more detergent?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

I forgot to mention I used Calgon (about 1/2 of what is recommended). Would that change your recommendation of using more detergent?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

could you try oxiclean in washer with detergent? whip it smells good all natural bamboo i think stuff....

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 02-15-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: adding
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Honestly if it passes the smell test and your ammonia is gone, then it worked and these things are so individual and require an experimental attitude. Your process sounds like a great first try and maybe it will be just what you need. Or maybe you can try using more detergent and no bleach for awhile and see if the ammonia and stink stays away. Kwim? Just tinker.

I personally put my pocket covers through the same wash routine as all my other cloth and I don't worry about it.

Generally in hard water you need more detergent, and/or softeners like calgon, washing soda or borax, and additional sanitizing agents (borax, oxiclean- which contains washing soda and so is also a good softener, or bleach... not all together, just pick one per wash! Bleach being stronger than the other two). But the amounts and specifics vary according to your personal situation. Hope that helps
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use Biokleen oxygenated bleach very successfully.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Honestly if it passes the smell test and your ammonia is gone, then it worked and these things are so individual and require an experimental attitude. Your process sounds like a great first try and maybe it will be just what you need. Or maybe you can try using more detergent and no bleach for awhile and see if the ammonia and stink stays away. Kwim? Just tinker.

I personally put my pocket covers through the same wash routine as all my other cloth and I don't worry about it.

Generally in hard water you need more detergent, and/or softeners like calgon, washing soda or borax, and additional sanitizing agents (borax, oxiclean- which contains washing soda and so is also a good softener, or bleach... not all together, just pick one per wash! Bleach being stronger than the other two). But the amounts and specifics vary according to your personal situation. Hope that helps
Do you use oxyclean in every wash? Do you add it to the wash cycle? Could I use non-chlorine bleach? Isn't it the same thing?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
apurdie
Registered Users

We have hard water (but not REALLY hard) and I just use an extra half scoop of detergent, and 1x a week I wash in just dawn. Seems to work so far.
apurdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What kind of inserts do you have?

We have slightly hard water, and use Charlies. I have found that 1/2 to 1/4 scoop of borax (the charlies scoop) + 1 full scoop charlies, works great, but now i am curious anout oxiclean. Can you use any kind/brand/formula?