Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8 mth old vomiting, wwyd?

Oh, ours has a 24 hour call line- I figured most pedis did. I did call the pediatric ER once and they gave advice about whether to bring in DS.

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I know he peed sometime before 2am then 1 time this afternoon around 4...but that pee was one of those "is it wet or no?" hard to tell, barely any. Just went and checked him in bed and there is a tiny bit of yellow in his diaper so he has peed a little recently. Whew...that one had me the most worried. Maybe I should stop worrying?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't sound like he is severely dehydrated... Mildly, sure. That's to be expected.
DS came down with a mild case of Norovirus around 9-10 months. Didn't throw up much, but his intake went way down due to lack of interest as well as low supply since I was sick as well. We gave water, pedialyte, and minimal pumped breast milk as he would take it. I remember him not crying (unusual), being very cuddly but uninterested in nursing, sweaty but chilled/feverish, and producing minimal diapers.
We just waited it out. Most of the time these bugs are pretty short-lived. I wouldn't worry that much unless his capillary refill time gets longer than 3.5/4 seconds (press your thumb to his sternum until white, release, then count) or he stops producing tears/saliva.

Does your ped not have an after-hours number?
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
I know he peed sometime before 2am then 1 time this afternoon around 4...but that pee was one of those "is it wet or no?" hard to tell, barely any. Just went and checked him in bed and there is a tiny bit of yellow in his diaper so he has peed a little recently. Whew...that one had me the most worried. Maybe I should stop worrying?
Feel free to continue worrying, but my completely unprofessional opinion is that he sounds okay *I* would call the ped in the morning just to check in and ease your mind.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would offer him some pedialyte or water/juice for a while instead of formula. If he is vomiting and has
Diarrhea his little system may not need the formula, but may really need the fluids.

I would just make sure he isn't dehydrated, and give his body the fluids it needs to flush the virus out. And call first thing in the morning. If he becomes lethargic at all I would take him to a hospital ASAP, and I would go ahead and call the 24 hour number of my pedi, or call the hospital for advise.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
It doesn't sound like he is severely dehydrated... Mildly, sure. That's to be expected.
DS came down with a mild case of Norovirus around 9-10 months. Didn't throw up much, but his intake went way down due to lack of interest as well as low supply since I was sick as well. We gave water, pedialyte, and minimal pumped breast milk as he would take it. I remember him not crying (unusual), being very cuddly but uninterested in nursing, sweaty but chilled/feverish, and producing minimal diapers.
We just waited it out. Most of the time these bugs are pretty short-lived. I wouldn't worry that much unless his capillary refill time gets longer than 3.5/4 seconds (press your thumb to his sternum until white, release, then count) or he stops producing tears/saliva.

Does your ped not have an after-hours number?
Thank you. I needed a level headed response. I am tired and emotionally drained from taking care of a sick baby all day .

I will keep an eye on the capillary refill (doc showed on his toe, said 2 secs or less is good) and offer fluids when he wakes up throughout the night.

In the meantime I think it is time to try to get some sleep too...he will be up often (like always, but expecting more) and if it IS a bug...chances are good that I will get it too as I always get the bugs that pass through this house. So...I need sleep. Thank you!

Oh...and the number. If they do I don't know of it! But I did get a 24 hr nurse hotline number from a local mom. I wrote it down and have it ready in case I feel we need it.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I suggest the pedialyte freeze pops. He might be more willing to take those. What ever you give him don't do more than 1T every 15 minutes. He cannot go too long without more than a few Ts here and there. I would call you Dr's office as they usually have an after hours service that will have the on call Dr. call you.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies

Thank you. I needed a level headed response. I am tired and emotionally drained from taking care of a sick baby all day .

I will keep an eye on the capillary refill (doc showed on his toe, said 2 secs or less is good) and offer fluids when he wakes up throughout the night.

In the meantime I think it is time to try to get some sleep too...he will be up often (like always, but expecting more) and if it IS a bug...chances are good that I will get it too as I always get the bugs that pass through this house. So...I need sleep. Thank you!

Oh...and the number. If they do I don't know of it! But I did get a 24 hr nurse hotline number from a local mom. I wrote it down and have it ready in case I feel we need it.
Glad I could help. Rest up, mama! I hope your little one starts feeling better soon. <3
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all! This little man is feeling much better this morning! Hope that truly was the last of it!