Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Sariviea2254
Registered Users

Relactating Help!!

Hey,

My lil one is almost 3 months old and we have stopped breastfeeding for about a month. We had a rough go of it in the beginning and ended up slowly adding more formula to her feeding routine. Now I feel bad and want to start breastfeeding again. Any suggestions?? Is this even possible. I have head that you can. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Sariviea2254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Relactating Help!!

I never completely dried up, but I had to go on Reglan and fenugreek to get my supply up and running after him only nursing 2 times per day. I also had to get him on the boob a lot to get him to tell my brain about supply and demand. You might want to get a SNS system to give baby the formula till your supply goes back up by breast stimulation.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Totally possible! My friend was inducing lactation for the baby they were adopting but then the adoption fell thru. I know she took some meds but don't remember what they were. And I agree w the PP about the SNS
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Domperidone is the typical med used for induced lactation/increasing supply. Not sure if you can get a script or need to get it off the internet though. Pumping is also a huge help, start now and you may not get anything but soon you'll start getting a few drops and then more drops and finally milk! Its hard work but so worth it IMO!

Oh, and since she's been using bottles for awhile now you may need to use a nipple shield. Only get one as a last resort but don't avoid it if you need it!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
ashley0314
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the SNS! And definitely the nipple shield if you need it. I never had supply issues but I had a preemie that had a hard time transitioning to the breast after having bottle/tube feedings for a month, but it finally worked and by two and half months old, he was fully on the breast. And still going after 16 months
ashley0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Domperidone greatly helped me increase my supply. Also fenugreek and blessed thistle.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote