Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
trivett12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy 1 year old and table food

Ok please don't look down on me for this. I am a FTM and my 47 week old daughter still is not on solids. By doctor's orders we started giving her baby food at 3 months and by 5 months she was on stage 2 and by 6 months she was on stage 3. Well around 8 or 9 months she choked when I was feeding her and I freaked out. I stopped giving her baby food and went to bottle only.

She loves to eat baby food and table food but I am TERIFFIED of her choking again. Last month I did break down and make her some spaghetti which I cut up really tiny. She couldn't figure out how to pick it up so I spoon fed her and she LOVED it! Since then she has had a few tiny (smaller than peas lol) bites of zuchini, mushrooms, avocado, meatloaf, potatoes, peas, and a few other things (usually whatever we are having). My husband gets so mad at me though because I cut everything so tiny she can't even pick it up. I do give her Mum Mums and Cheese Puffs (from Gerber) sometimes though and she feeds herself those (but I have to give her one at a time or she shoves 2-3 in her mouth at once). I am starting to give her gerber Puffs now too.

Anyway, all I hear from my mother and my husband is how I am hurting her more than helping her by holding her back. We have slowly switched to whole milk (per doctor request) and as of today she is on only whole milk. I know there is no way she is getting enough nutrients from just whole milk so I know I have to suck it up and feed her table food. I'm just so scared of her choking. Her doctor wants her to be able to eat things like baked chicken nuggets for example and he said she should be able to take bites out of it (not have me cut it up another words). I was shocked and like won't she choke and he just laughed and said no. He said she needs to learn how to feed herself and how to chew. She can't learn to chew if the bites are smaller than a pea. I'm even scared to give her mac and cheese because I think I need to cut up the little elbow noodles into 2-3 pieces...yes I know it's a bit extensive but I worry.

Plus to top it off she just started daycare and they give her table food (a meal example for lunch is meatloaf, potatoes, peas, and animal crackers). They let her feed herself and they said she did great with it. So I know she can eat it but I am terrified to let her at home. I don't even know where to start. All I hear all day from my mother (we live with her right now) is how I need to feed her 3 meals a day and snacks and that giving her a bottle every 3 hours is horrible....etc etc etc....I feel like a horrible mother for holding my daughter back too. I mean she is going to be one year old April 19th and she already has 10-12 teeth including 2 molars and she has a couple more coming in. I just worry about her choking (especially since she wants to shove as much food as possible into her mouth at once).

Another problem we have is because she doesn't eat table food or baby food I just feed her in my arms with a bottle. So she is still on a bottle and not a sippy cup. If I hold a regular cup for her she can drink out of it and she can drink (clumsly) out of a sippy cut but she'd rather throw it lol.

What should I do? Should I just suck it up and feed her normal bite size pieces like I eat, should I keep feeding her little bitty pieces by a spoon, should I start giving her supplements with her milk....I feel so lost and so confused and I feel like I am the worst mother for worrying too much. The last thing I want is to be overprotective but I just can't help it. And to top it off I am due with a boy in 3 weeks....I don't want to have him held back too!!!! Any advice mamas?

Advertisement

trivett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think those website would be a great place for you to start like ASAP.
http://www.babyledweaning.com/

We all gave a gag reflex. Did your dd gag or was she literally chocking and you had to intervene to keep her alive? There is a HUGE difference.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok 1st off I would be worried if any dr said to start a baby on foods at 3 month?! & that he said she could be off of formula now. If she is not eating meals I would keep her on formula not just milk. The American Board of Pediatrics says a child under 3 needs their food cut up in 1/4 inch size pieces. It is also strange to me that your dr said not to cut up her food. I mean she is still an infant for gosh sakes. I know she has teeth but still.

I would still give her formula until age one & then start gradually over a two month period go to whole milk. I would also prepare her food for daycare chopped into 1/4 inch pieces

Congrats on your new baby & good luck on feeling comfortable with solids again. Oh and maybe you would feel more comfortable if you knew the Heimlich maneuver.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
trivett12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 year old and table food

Thanks guys for the support. Yes she did actually choke. Thankfully I am infant CPR trained (my husband is a volunteer firefighter) so I knew what to do but man did it scare me.

As for her doctor...I agree that he seems to rush things a bit.

As for daycare, they provide the food and prepare it so I have NO idea how they feed her. She has only gone once so Friday when she goes back I am going to have them show me how they prepare it so I might can learn from them too. They won't give the kids whole milk there though, only 2% milk.

Thanks again =D
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Be sure to update this thread how she is doing. Dd is 8 months & doesn't really like solids that much so we will be crossing this bridge soon.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

YEs i would agree if she isn't eating food she need to be on bm or formula. MIlk isn't going to cut it. MY son is actually 1 day younger than your daughter. However he loves food. BUt he still takes bm or formula by bottles by us holding him. She is still a baby so i wouldn't worry too much about that. Byt try soft foods. Right now my son is munching on a strawberry whole he just bites and mushes lol. Also boat cut in strips? He even does well with meat kinda shredded up. JUst give her one piece at a time and see where it takes you. And it is awesome that you are prepared in case anything happens
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Do not feel bad my son will be 1 on Apr 11 and does not even want solids at all. He is exclusively breastfed. He will taste it but is not interested. I wish he was. I would give her 1/4 in pieces of whatever she will eat. My older son had a food adversion and you do not want to develope that. It is very hard to break and get them used to food again.

I know it is scarey to see your child choke. My oldest son choked once and I had to intervene. It was very scarey. She still needs to eat. She has an educated momma in case there is a need, but has to learn to eat.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
trivett12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to update everyone. Her doctor had us switch her over to whole milk and completely stop formula. Because of this she wasn't getting enough nutrients so I have started giving her a lot more table food. She has been eating meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, peas, potatoes, and lots more!!! Her daycare has been helping me a lot with getting her used to table food too. She did choke yesterday on a Mum Mum cracker (of all things too since it's made FOR babies). She turned so red and had her mouth open trying to gag it up but she couldn't make any noise. I went into a panic mode (lol) and scooped her up and pet her back a few times and tipped her face down a little and she coughed it up. I was freaked out but before I could do anything else she was trying to shove more in her mouth lol. So obviously she was fine and we survived a scare. I feel better knowing what to expect now but I'm still nervous as can be. But we are doing good so far and I try to give her a taste of whatever I eat. If she likes it I let her have some more until she is full or bored with it. So all is going great so far!!! Thank you everyone for encouraging me =D
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivett12 View Post
Just wanted to update everyone. Her doctor had us switch her over to whole milk and completely stop formula. Because of this she wasn't getting enough nutrients so I have started giving her a lot more table food. She has been eating meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, peas, potatoes, and lots more!!! Her daycare has been helping me a lot with getting her used to table food too. She did choke yesterday on a Mum Mum cracker (of all things too since it's made FOR babies). She turned so red and had her mouth open trying to gag it up but she couldn't make any noise. I went into a panic mode (lol) and scooped her up and pet her back a few times and tipped her face down a little and she coughed it up. I was freaked out but before I could do anything else she was trying to shove more in her mouth lol. So obviously she was fine and we survived a scare. I feel better knowing what to expect now but I'm still nervous as can be. But we are doing good so far and I try to give her a taste of whatever I eat. If she likes it I let her have some more until she is full or bored with it. So all is going great so far!!! Thank you everyone for encouraging me =D
Great job, Momma! I hope I can get my LO to eat as good as yours!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I understand the stress; I'm the nervous Nellie around here. After I had to give DD the heimlich a couple times right around 12-13mos, I got a little nutso. There were a couple things that helped. DD is a tank & part of the reason she choked was b/c she was eating too fast, so we would seriously have to sit with her & redirect her to slow down over & over. Knowing that she was eating "normal" food at the sitter's helped, too. And since DP was making fun of me, I made her feed DD, or rather sit & monitor DD's meals. Once that was going well, I could sit with them as well, & eventually took over mealtimes evenly. Oh, and the biggie? When DD was flat out asking for foods I wouldn't have fed her..."No Mama, I want HOT DOGS for dinner!!!!"
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote