Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Minimalist/raw/from scratch cooking help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblakeley View Post
I'll have to check into the commissary. The US embassy is in Beijing and we are in Shanghai, however there is a consulate branch here.

We are on the very of becoming vegetarians, the only thing stopping me at this point is the pork dumplings! YUM!
Commisarry is only for active duty military unless you are a arme forces family or work with department of defense under sofa you wont qualify even if there is one.

Advertisement

Last edited by 2+2macht4; 10-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.
2+2macht4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Minimalist/raw/from scratch cooking help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
I face similar food challenges as we just moved to Thailand a few months ago. We have found that we like to vary our stir-fry with different noodles and rices. It's taking some time but once I stopped thinking like an American cooking in Asia things became simpler. No more meat as the main attraction now it's all about the combinations of fresh herbs and veggies I can get on the streets with a dash of this and scoop of this. We once even tossed our salad ingredients into the wok with noodles and it was fantastic, yes hot shredded lettuce tomatoes, and cucumbers with noodles. We have stopped eating meat, and cheese well that's my splurge at around $4 for 8oz of a brand that consists of I do not know.
Vegetarian times has a website and under their recipes an Asian recipe thread. We recently added the chili-lime dish with glass noodles tour regular rotation because it was tasty. We just used firm tofu and it came out great.
Spring rolls are a fairly easy make ahead to have in the freezer and you can bake them instead of frying. I imagine the wrappers are widely available at any grocer with a freezer.
Good luck... And see if the commissary will deliver to you. They deliver to us and we are about 40 minutes away from them.
Where are you in Thailand? I lived there for 3 years in Pattaya. ARe you not eating meat because you don't think it's safe or too expensive? The local chicken and pork is fine. We ate it all the time. We stayed away from beef as the local beef isn't very good taste wise and imported beef was very expensive. I actually found it was cheaper to eat out. Most thais do. We ate at those little restaurants you see all over the place that are like a few tables under a tent on a patch of dirt.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96

Where are you in Thailand? I lived there for 3 years in Pattaya. ARe you not eating meat because you don't think it's safe or too expensive? The local chicken and pork is fine. We ate it all the time. We stayed away from beef as the local beef isn't very good taste wise and imported beef was very expensive. I actually found it was cheaper to eat out. Most thais do. We ate at those little restaurants you see all over the place that are like a few tables under a tent on a patch of dirt.
We are about 20 minutes north of Bangkok in Nonthaburi. We haven't had any issues with meat from Villa or Markets, but on occasion we have got some rancid meat at the grocery type stores. Beef is expensive but we just found this was a great opportunity for us to eat a little healthier.
We eat on the streets pretty iften because the smell if often hard to resist. I certainly have found a new love for noodles since being here!

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote