Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Every single FLAT has ammonia!

IRL I am banging my head!

I have been having laundry issues with slight ammonia, but now it is not slight anymore! I use only flats, with fitteds at night. I don't know what I'm doing wrong For the past about month I have been struggling with buildup, so I've stripped my diapers (dawn, then bleach, RLR, then boiling) but somehow my diapers are not getting clean. I started rinsing pee dipes, and then helps the ammonia in the pail go away, but they come out the dryer smelling! I have a TL and use natural fibers, this is built for sparkling clean diapers.

Currently I wash every other day, about 18 diapers per load.
I just bought Calgon and ultra original Tide for my moderately hard water, but I'm still trying to figure out how much Calgon and Tide ultra works for us.
I've tried up to line 1, but that wouldn't rinse out, but my dipes were mostly clean. I tried 2 tblsp tide, 1/4 cup Calgon, but that still leaves my with slight ammonia in some flats and wipes. I probably could use bleach every load, haven't tried it yet and not opposed, but should I be doing that when I'm using flats?! I have tried natural detergents, but tide cleans the best.I used tide forever, then switched to All and that's when my issues started. I switched back to Tide original powder, but the issues are still there. Please someone help

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Oh and my routine is:
Warm rinse
Hot wash with detergent, Calgon
Wash cycle with no detergent
Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Every single FLAT has ammonia!

I'd say go with more detergent and more rinsing to get it all out, although you're already running a full wash cycle after the main wash (seems like a lot to me). Are you using the maximum amount of water in the washer?

I found that adding vinegar to the pre-rinse helped a lot (1/2 cup), and we also used baking soda in the main wash cycle, although we did use natural detergents (not sure how it would mix with Tide)
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use Tide HE in an energy star washer...not HE washer but a Less water rinsing and that has been the key for us...it seems to rinse a lot easier than regular Tide for us. I use up to the 1 line or even the 2 line on big loads. My routine is:

short cycle as a pre rinse
full long hot cycle with 1/4 cup bleach and Tide to the 1 Line
full medium length cycle with nothing as the extra rinse

We have water that fluctuates in hardness because of our well, and this has been the only thing that works for us.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Have you tried using a bit of detergent in the prerinse? I like to put some dawn dish soap in the prerinse along with some washing soda. Then I use my regular detergent in the to wash. I also use a natural fabric softner in the final rinse. I have no proof other than what I have been told but was told the fabric softener cuts back on sudsing so it may rinse the detergent out with fewer rinse cycles.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I put detergent in prewash not regular cycle.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you have to keep rinsing, I suggest cutting down on your Calgon a little. You might be making your water TOO soft, and therefore not rinsing clean. Add a little bleach to get you to a good starting point, use the recommended amount of tide, and cut back the Calgon.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
luv2bAmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would try warm rinse or prewash....Hot wash w/more soap like up to line1....and another cold rinse.I think if you get most of the yuckies out in the prewash then you let the soap do its job in the longer wash it might be just enough to help ya.Good luck mama!
luv2bAmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with traderbren. Less Calgon, or maybe none. And I would try more detergent until the diapers don't smell anymore. Add some bleach. It is nothing to be afraid of. And try not to obsess over suds left over in the rinse cycle. If you have bubbles bubbles everywhere, that is one thing, but just a few suds? Nothing to worry about unless your LO is reacting to it.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Boil them! Of course, you want to adjust your wash routine to prevent the stinkies, but boiling will help you start out with a clean slate.