Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have to have a credit check to foster?

I think what gets me frustrated is that another couple from our church are also foster parents with the same agency and they both work and the daycare wont tranport. So she told them that they cant transport. So the caseworker does all of it even though in our manual it says that even if you work full time foster parents are responsible for all transporting.Just doesnt seem fair, although Im happy for them that they dont have to do it. I think what's hard for me is that I not only have to get the twins ready to go, but my 5 other children and then waste an hour of time. I thought I would take my kids to the library but it was still closed, so ended up spending money at McD's just to have something to do. Ugh! Oh, and our agency does pay for the daycare costs for foster children but since Im a stay at home mom, they dont have to for my boys. I feel like we are getting double jipped compared to our church friends.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHeatherLynn View Post
I am shocked. Our visits are once a week, period. Also, you can ask for a transporter here if you are not willing to transport (but it will limit your placements). If we do transport, we get reimbursed for the fuel.

I really do think its good for the young ones to have that many visits but they just need a better way of doing it as I've been only doing this for 4 weeks and I'm tired of all of the driving and running around telling my kids to hurry up cause we need to go. Plus the disruption during our homeschooling. My 5 are ages 8 and under, so they still need some pushing for things like that. And to be completely honest, if I knew that these boys would be mine forever, I think it would be less hard to do it. My heart is breaking already and I think those emotions are spilling over to all those other things.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here you actually could make money. The stipend is twice or even over twice as much as some of you get. However, you have to have a SAHP to get kids 0-5. They don't allow you to use daycare. For older kids, you can use before/after school care, but it's on you. With how much they pay, I would think only summers would be really expensive and eat up much of the stipend. I do know people who "appear" to use the stipend to live off of. However, they appear to be good foster parents. It's just more of a job to them. Many take special needs or large sibling groups and do adopt. I just know one family where both parents are at home with the many kids so they are using the stipend and subsidies to live off of, but they seem to be amazing parents dedicated 100% to those kids, so I really can't judge. Certainly would not be what I'd want to do, but whatever. I don't remember a credit check in particular (but maybe as I wouldn't have been concerned since we have no issues there).

Transporting is random here, but we are reimbursed! I've done the transporting for 3 out of my 5 placements and I actually don't mind because where I go is 5 minutes from my house and around plenty of stores, restaurants, the library, etc. Plus I only have my almost 4yo at home now since my older three are in school full time (I don't home school) so it works well for appointments and the like.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ivanna, I totally understand! I had a placement where the chances of us being able to adopt her in the end were slim due to family involvement. The plan ended up being for paternal grandparents to take the baby (they were totally fit) but they kept pushing it off and then stated a date they could take her (by then I would have had her almost 6 weeks). She had early morning visits three times a week, an extra evening visit on one of the days there wasn't an early morning visit. Then she stayed overnight at the grandparents house one weekday night plus spent Saturdays with the other grandma. I only transported to the early morning visits, but my life was revolving around those constant visits and I knew I wouldn't get to keep her. I thought about disrupting until the grandparents finally gave a date they'd take her. I couldn't continue to do that open ended. My other babies have had two visits per week anywhere from 1-2 hours each. Nothing extra. That I can handle.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
JuanitaPuanita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm not fostering but a friend of mine is going though the process right now. They gave them a house, 5 bedroom, 3 bath. They provided all the furniture too. They basically have a card per child that has $ on it to provide all the kids necessities. Plus they get paid $1000 a month just to foster. We are all military so they get that pay too. It's nuts
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They gave them a house to foster??? Now, I've heard of that for fostering vulnerable adults, but never kids. A card to use for the kids needs plus an additional $1000? That's nuts. We get close to that, but it's for the kid's needs.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so hmm, curious to how much people's stipend is for fostering? We get about $10 a day. Plus $35 for clothes and $35 for kids allowance. So about $400 each child. we've had our babies for almost 4 weeks and we easily have spent over $1000 so far. But... we also didn't have much of the baby stuff as we thought we were done having kids. But of that $400 at least $150 is spent on gas driving everywhere. I really don't care about the money. I look at it as my giving to charity in a sense. I think its the time investment in the visits that bothers me the most. But then I tell myself that I"m being kind of selfish because really that is what is best for the kids, to continue to bond with their parents.

Another off topic... Anyone know of any articles or stats that show good results of foster children who are returned to their bio parents home? I hear stories of foster children that were then adopted that have been very successful but not the other way around. I really need to hear that, especially since I think my babies are going to go back with bio parents. Which I actually do really like the bio parents its just that because of the situation, its not going to be an easy life, which I guess no one can guarentee that.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our 0-4yr old rate is $366/month. The county is no longer providing any clothing vouchers so that amount is it unless there are significant special needs for an additional rate.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
TexasHeatherLynn
Registered Users
seller

Here basic is $22.15/day and moderate is $38.77/day.

Our agency has homes they provide too for the foster parents and they are furnished, along with many other things. However, these are owned by the agency and only for hard to place children (pre-teen/teen).
Riley & Dusty, twins lost 12/11 & 31/03~~Brody born still 5/28/05
TexasHeatherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
TexasHeatherLynn
Registered Users
seller

Oh yeah, we get $35/month clothing allowance, and also $200 for our first placement and $100 for each additional placement (to offset the cost of getting what the child needs and didn't come with).
Riley & Dusty, twins lost 12/11 & 31/03~~Brody born still 5/28/05
TexasHeatherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote