Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #41
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
DS's sister's adoptive family got medical as secondary. It sucked for them because their kids are all grown, and now they have to pay for a family plan for a really long time (she is only 4), when they would have been able to each be single at their work. They got no adoption stipend. However, there was no way they were willing to give her up, and the state knew it and took advantage.

We have an amazing attorny, and we got $14 a day adoption stipend, and state medical, but DS has significant special needs, and is G-J fed. We told them that we could not afford to adopt him without state medical since we have an $8,000 deductible through DH's work (they eliminated PPOs, and only offer HSA high deductible plans). His medical supplies alone are almost $5,000 a month. That is before we start in on doctor/hospital/therapy bills.
That's so unfair...the state using their bond against them. Ugh, makes me sick. When I asked my sw, she just said, yeah all kids get it (in ca, adopted from foster care).

I thought it was a given that all FC kids adopted got primary medical care.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #42
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have to have a credit check to foster?

Yes, state medical. It's pretty good here and dh's employer also got rid of everything but the high deductible plans so although we don't pay more a month to add an additional child, we're paying all the medical until the deductible is met. If we adopt a baby/toddler with no special needs... That's all fine and dandy but due to family history, I do worry about issues appearing down the road.