Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How to get coffee stains out of white clothing... go!

A cup of coffee got spilled into a clean basket of laundry. Fortunately there wasn't much in it and only two articles were affected. One of those, however, is a brand new baby outfit that we haven't even had time to put her in yet (she'll be 4 weeks tomorrow and it's a size 6 months onesie). The onesie is white with pale pink trim and pale pink and pale grey lettering.

How do I get the coffee stain out without bleaching it? Right now it's soaking in some warm water with laundry soap and generic Oxy-Clean.

Any ideas to try if this doesn't work?

Thanks.
God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to get coffee stains out of white clothing... go!

I would spray it with a stain remover, then put some drops of dish soap on it and scrub it in with a toothbrush, then wash. That's my go-to for pretty much all stains. DS spilled some coffee on my grey and white striped jacket, and I did this and hoped for the best. It came completely out.

Are they set in, or have you tried to wash it? It may not even stain.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
I would spray it with a stain remover, then put some drops of dish soap on it and scrub it in with a toothbrush, then wash. That's my go-to for pretty much all stains. DS spilled some coffee on my grey and white striped jacket, and I did this and hoped for the best. It came completely out.

Are they set in, or have you tried to wash it? It may not even stain.
Thanks.
No, I haven't tried to wash it yet. It was a hectic day and I just didn't fold laundry.. and then I never got to it. That basket has probably been sitting there with clean clothes in it for about two weeks...

I'm not sure how long ago the coffee was spilled, no one said anything to me about it. So it's been sitting there with coffee on it for a while, but I haven't tried to wash it yet. My mom is here visiting and is keeping the 3 boys busy, and the baby is napping, so I took the opportunity to get caught up on some things....so..

Thanks for the suggestion.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My mother spilled coffee on her white skirt while visiting. I sprayed Zout on it and washed the skirt. Not a trace of coffee to be seen. Zout has NEVER let me down!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the fabric can hold up to it, boil it with oxyclean directly on the stain. I haven't had a stain yet that didn't come out that way. Even things that had been stained for years and I thought were totally ruined.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

What you are doing should do the trick. I soak our diapers overnight in oxyclean. They come out stain free 95% of the time. All our whites get the overnight oxyclean treatment. I have had this get old set in stains out even. We also use generic oxyclean. Sun oxygen I think it is called.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done at 3 View Post
My mother spilled coffee on her white skirt while visiting. I sprayed Zout on it and washed the skirt. Not a trace of coffee to be seen. Zout has NEVER let me down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
If the fabric can hold up to it, boil it with oxyclean directly on the stain. I haven't had a stain yet that didn't come out that way. Even things that had been stained for years and I thought were totally ruined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
What you are doing should do the trick. I soak our diapers overnight in oxyclean. They come out stain free 95% of the time. All our whites get the overnight oxyclean treatment. I have had this get old set in stains out even. We also use generic oxyclean. Sun oxygen I think it is called.
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

I'll let it soak over night, if it doesn't come out then I'll get some Zout while I'm grocery shopping tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch!

God bless!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

My jacket had sat for a while also, a week actually, b/c DS spilled but thought he would get in trouble so he didn't tell us. I went to wear it a week later and it was covered in the coffee stains. With the spray (I use Resolve Spray and Wash I think) and dish soap, it came right out. I thought for sure it was a goner, but you can't even tell it was there now. Good luck!

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dissolved some detergent (Seventh Generation powder) and some generic oxy-clean in a small plastic bin and soaked the onesie in it.

Within a few hours the stain was significantly faded, by bed time it was almost gone, and by the morning the onesie was back to it's original color!

God bless!